Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:35:30 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Tailgating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: How integral is tailgating to your live NFL experiene?
I go often and tailgate every time.   -1 (6.7%)
I don't go much, so I have to tailgate when I do.   -9 (60%)
I only tailgate on special occasions.   -1 (6.7%)
I rarely, if ever, tailgate.   -4 (26.7%)
Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Tailgating  (Read 2789 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:19:20 pm »

If I didn't know this guy personally, I might not believe it, but I have a friend who tailgates the entire game.  He goes to the game without tickets, pays to park in the orange lot (he is using my parking passes this year) and stays there during the whole game, just hanging out, drinking and eating, while the game is going on.

Do you tailgate?

For me, since I have traditionally gone to a lot of games, I don't do it every time.  When I tailgate, it turns football into an 8 hour event, not to mention that you're completely worn out when you get home.  I do tailgate every time I go to an away game and there are certain big games I'll do it too.

I will probably do more this year, since I have friends that are into it.

I drink your milkshake!
Fins4ever
Uber Member

Dan the Dolphin

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:49:21 pm »

I hope the guy who spends the whole time in the parking lot at least has a TV. LOL That would not be worth it to me. I guess I am stuck on cooking at home and watching the game on a 60" plasma.

To lack vision is worse than being blind - Helen Keller
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 12:56:43 pm »

I have never done the tailgating without going to the game gig for a pro game.   But did do it a few times for college games. 

And I had friends who did it a lot for college games.  They didn't like football.  They liked getting drunk in parking lots.   While I liked football, I liked hanging out with the drunk girls in the parking lot more than watching football.  As the party scene in the parking lot during the games was a lot more women than men.  Before and after the game the party scene was more even. 

It wasn't really a matter of getting tickets, either.  The games never sold out and tickets only cost $2.  And no the games weren't on TV, they were on the college radio.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »

It depends...

Since this is the Around the NFL forum - I like tailgating before football games.  If I go to every game, its just not worth the money to tailgate every time.  It requires planning ahead, night-before preparation, and shopping.  So, if I go to games, I'd like there to be tailgating, but its such a huge hassle.
SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:36:52 pm »

It's a hassle but I always have fun when I do it. BBQ, corn hole, friends and football

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:58:46 pm »

I am going on my 12th year as a season ticket holder for the Cardinals. When they were out at Sun Devil Stadium we did not tailgate all that often because our parking was on the blacktop, it was 115 degrees outside, and we had to sit in the hot Arizona sun for 3-4 hours for the game as well.

As soon as they moved to the new stadium in Glendale we have tailgated every single game without fail. We have parking on one of the practice fields on the grass which makes a huge difference. My buddy's truck has a locking cover on it so it is designated as the tailgate truck so we do not have to load and unload every week before and after the games. We have to load the coolers, the food, and the TV. Everything else is already in the truck. Being as the stadium is now air conditioned it makes the experience of tailgating more enjoyable because we get relief from the heat and the sun. We usually arrive about 4 hours before game time (which is always the afternoon games when they are at home) to grill, watch the early games, play cornhole or ladder golf, and usually toss back a few coldies. It is me and 3 buddies so it is nice to make a day of it and get away from the wives and kids for the day.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:07:29 pm »

If I go to every game, its just not worth the money to tailgate every time. 

Please explain the economic of this.

I find the cost of store bought cans of beer and store bought hotdogs consumed in parking lot to be considerably cheaper than draft beer and cooked hot dog purchased at the stadium.  You gotta eat sometime.  Much cheaper to eat in the parking lot before and after the game than in the stadium during the game. 

SportsChick
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 02:11:02 pm »

It's easier to grab something at home and enjoy a leisure morning than get to the stadium by 9 AM

I'm the girl that makes men jealous of my husband

I hate Red Sox and Patriots bandwagon fans. They give the rest of us a bad name
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:41 pm »

You gotta eat sometime. 

But that time doesn't have to be at the stadium. You can't go 3-5 hours without eating?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 03:00:10 pm »

But that time doesn't have to be at the stadium. You can't go 3-5 hours without eating?

With traffic, parking etc. closer to 10-12 hours.  I live 2+ hours from the stadium when there isn't a game about 4 hours on game day.  And at the end of the game you can leave right away and spend 1.5 hours in traffic to travel 4 miles or spend 2 hours tailgating and sail right out of the stadium. I would rather choose the latter. 

I only go every few years.  But tailgate both before and after.

AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:07:15 pm »

But tailgate both before and after.

We used to stay after as well. We would fire the grill back up and hang out for quite awhile. 2 seasons ago they decided they wanted the parking lots cleared within an hour of the end of the game. They have little parking lot nazis that come around to make sure you do not start to grill anything or toss the football or anything really. We generally walk back to the truck open the chips and the dip and wait for the area to clear a little before we jump in and head home. That kind of sucks and a lot of people have bitched about it to no avail.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:45:00 pm »

With traffic, parking etc. closer to 10-12 hours.  I live 2+ hours from the stadium when there isn't a game about 4 hours on game day.  And at the end of the game you can leave right away and spend 1.5 hours in traffic to travel 4 miles or spend 2 hours tailgating and sail right out of the stadium. I would rather choose the latter. 

I only go every few years.  But tailgate both before and after.

OK, so you have that kind of travel. I know I asked if you can't eat for 3-5 hours but I was referring more to Brian's assumed travel time since you posed the question to him first.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:47:00 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 05:13:14 pm »

Even if you eat something at the stadium, you can get something fairly reasonable for about 10 bucks.  It's not that crazy expensive, so long as you aren't drinking a bunch of beer (which I almost never do).  I just can't bring myself to pay 8 bucks for 12 OZ of Bud Light.

I drink your milkshake!
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 01:09:06 am »

I tailgate at every game I go to, home or away.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Fins4ever
Uber Member

Dan the Dolphin

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 11:13:16 am »

We used to stay after as well. We would fire the grill back up and hang out for quite awhile. 2 seasons ago they decided they wanted the parking lots cleared within an hour of the end of the game. They have little parking lot nazis that come around to make sure you do not start to grill anything or toss the football or anything really. We generally walk back to the truck open the chips and the dip and wait for the area to clear a little before we jump in and head home. That kind of sucks and a lot of people have bitched about it to no avail.
-----------------

That makes no sense. Why would they care if you are waiting for the traffic to clear? What is the reasoning on hiring parking lot nazis?

To lack vision is worse than being blind - Helen Keller
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray