Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:25:48 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  With all the focus on #8, Fans should not lose sight of rounds 2,3 & 4.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: With all the focus on #8, Fans should not lose sight of rounds 2,3 & 4.  (Read 1227 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: April 20, 2012, 10:06:23 am »

Fact - Miami has 5 picks in the first 105 picks of the draft.
Fact - This draft is not deep in first round talent, there are by most estimates 5 "elite" players and after that it get's sketchy.
Fact - This draft is deep. There are several WR's, DE's and DB's that will be available in rounds 2, 3 and 4 that could end up starting next year.

So with all that being said, it's just as important for Miami to do something good with their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks as it is to do something good with #8. In fact it might be more important. You can argue that there really isn't a player at #8 that you HAVE to have. They could go Tannehill. They could go Reif. They could go Ingram. All of those would be solid picks and would address needs. But what about the rest of the draft? This is where we really should be focusing our attention, because this is where we really find out if Ireland has what it takes to build a team.

It's still a little too soon to evaluate last year's draft in the middle rounds because Thomas was nicked up and Gates didn't see the field much although he did have a big return late in the season. Clay I think showed plenty of promise, so the draft could still turn out to be pretty good, but if Thomas and Gates don't really have an impact this year, then that really changes things.

2010 is not looking that hot. Misi has not really shown much. Jerry either. Is Edds even on the roster? Carroll and Jones have shown flashes, but are really inconsistent.

2009 isn't much better. White was a bust. Smith showed improvement last year, but I still don't think he's lived up to his potential. Turner is gone. Hartline has been very productive for a 4th round pick. Clemons showed potential in 2010, but seemed to regress last year.

Miami needs a good draft this year, but it's the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks that are probably gonna be the ones that really determine how good of a draft it is.

Here's a couple mock drafts from MiamiDolphinsdraft.com

Mock 1, with QB

Round 1, pick #8  Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M

Round 2, pick #42   Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida St

Round 3, pick #72  Tommy Streeter, WR, Miami

Round 3, pick #73  Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin

Round 4, pick #103  George Iloka, FS, Boise St.

Round 5, pick #145  Tyler Nielsen, OLB, Pittsburgh

Round 6, pick #196  Jack Crawford, DE, Penn St

Round 7, pick #215  DeQuan Menzie, CB, Alabama

Offense heavy at the top of the draft to build around Tannehill, while using the latter rounds to add depth and maybe find a hidden gem on defense.  Sanders can help on the right side of the line, and the Streeter/Toon combo should combine nicely with incumbents Bess and Hartline.  Iloka, Nielsen, Crawford and Menzie would help provide depth and competition at every level of the defense with Menzie possibly being similar to the Jimmy Wilson seventh round selection in 2011.

Mock 2, without a QB

Round 1, pick #8  Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina

Round 2, pick #42   Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

Round 3, pick #72  Marvin Jones, WR, Cal

Round 3, pick #73  Antonio Allen, SS, Clemson

Round 4, pick #103  Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt

Round 5, pick #145  Ryan Miller, OG, Colorado

Round 6, pick #196  Chase Ford, TE, Miami

Round 7, pick #215  Jeff Allen, OT, Illinois

A more balanced, need driven draft that prepares the team’s future for a franchise QB to be selected in 2013.  Ingram, Allen and Hayward would provide depth and plug holes on a fairly young defense, while Hill and Jones could join Bess and Hartline to form a strong WR core.  Ford would be the Miami Hurricane selection as the Dolphins should make a habit out of getting some former Canes onto their roster.  At 6-6 he would team with Charles Clay to made a nice young core at TE, as well as provide a nice Red Zone target.  Miller and Jeff Allen would add some beef to the Oline with the hopes of putting a QB behind them in 2013
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:13:46 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 12:39:30 pm »

I like both mocks. If they grab the QB they want (whoever it may be that Ireland/Philbin have targeted) you want to start building around him and have the weapons in place ready to go.

If they don't get the QB they want for whatever reason, then ignore the position let Moore and Gararrd stink for you this year, hopefully play you into a high draft pick and let them walk when their contracts are up and start over next year. If they happen to win 6 or 7 games and are in this same position next year they will have to give up the farm next year to move up to get a QB and they might be moving up for a QB with a lower grade than Tannehill has this year and might be a lesser talent or prospect than Tannehill, but this can't go on forever. At some point they have to take a QB in Rd 1 and build around him. Nobody trades franchise QB's in this league and few if any franchise QB's hit free agency unless they have major red flags (ie Peyton=neck Brees=shoulder, Warner=age/ability), and when they are on the market they don't want to go to a bad team (ie Miami). Miami has to draft someone, groom him, take their lumps with him, and hope the guy they pick turns out to be someone in time. Wasting middle round picks on guys isn't the answer in this league.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:56:27 pm »

Looking at the second mock...I really can't see Stephen Hill making it out of round one. Ridiculous speed for a WR that size, someone at the end of round one will snatch him up (and it could be my beloved 49ers).

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
el diablo
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 05:30:37 pm »

I could actually live with the 2nd mock draft. Provided that Weeden is not available in the 2nd rd. I would love it if Hill were available in the 2nd, but I doubt that also. I just don't want them to draft Tannehill @ 8, because of pressure.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray