Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:20:07 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Early signs are that Garrard is the leading QB candidate.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Early signs are that Garrard is the leading QB candidate.  (Read 15763 times)
Landshark
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 11:27:44 pm »

Yeah, you could, but it's certainly not ideal. 9 out of 10 times, the QB who starts the first preseason game is also the starter on opening day unless there's an injury.

The 2008 Dolphins were that one time out of ten.
Alwaysdullfan

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 02:08:40 am »

I believe Gerrard is capable of being one of the top QBs at least in the AFC. I just hope this means that he is back in shape and is showing good signs, and not that Matt Moore is simply worse than a QB thats been out of the game for over a year. Cuz Matt Moore did play good, i think he surprised alot of ppl by the way he played and he def deserves the chance for the starting job. So I hope Moore is as good as he looked and it wasnt just luck last season. With that said, if Gerrard is takin first team reps in practice this could be very good news for the Fins. Gerrard did have couple good seasons in Jacksonville and if he plays the same way he did in his prime, this could be the answer the Dolphins been waiting for. So if Gerrard gets the starting job, I hope its because he is back in shape and playing good football, rather than him simply being just the best QB on a team. That would be sad and very bad news for the Fins. But Im hoping Matt Moore is as good as he looked and the only way he wouldnt start is bcuz Gerrard is back to his glory days.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 09:23:03 am »

I fear that this is going to be a painful season to watch.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 09:29:12 am »

The 2008 Dolphins were that one time out of ten.
Yeah, Miami could have a QB fall into their lap that ends up being the starter, but then Matt Moore will be looking for a job rather than just being the backup in Miami, so I doubt that gives him much comfort.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 01:01:09 pm »

Doubt it.

Actually, already came close last night.  Herm Edwards on ESPN NFL show said if it were "even close" that Tannehill would be the opening day starter.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 01:08:33 pm »

If Moore is the best QB on our roster and proves it in camp come August,  start him Week 1. But I pray every night that Garrard or Tannehill beat him out and make him expendable. If I have to watch another season of Matt Moore beating up on bad teams, losing to good teams, and choking late in games vs Good teams it will be very painful.

MikeO You are pretty close to how I think this season will actually play out.  Moore (or perhaps Garrard) will start at the begining of the season and beat up on the easy teams that Miami plays early on, then when the season gets to the harder teams they will choke in a game or two, then Tannehill will come in.  What happens after that no one knows.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 01:14:01 pm »

Actually, already came close last night.  Herm Edwards on ESPN NFL show said if it were "even close" that Tannehill would be the opening day starter.
But did he say that it is close now? From the reports I'm seeing it's not close and Garrard is clearly the best QB on the roster right now.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 01:21:14 pm »

^^^I'm not 100% sure of what you have seen, but I think your may be stretching the story a bit for your own personal benefit. From what I have seen, there was a report of Garrard getting first team snaps but I have also seen that all the QBs (as well as lineman) are rotating playing with first teamers as well as backups.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 01:30:43 pm »

^^^I'm not 100% sure of what you have seen, but I think your may be stretching the story a bit for your own personal benefit. From what I have seen, there was a report of Garrard getting first team snaps but I have also seen that all the QBs (as well as lineman) are rotating playing with first teamers as well as backups.
I haven't "seen" anything. I live in Dallas, can't go to the practices. I'm going by several reports from people that actually go to the practices and they all pretty much say that Garrard looks the best at QB.  I'm not talking about this last OTA, I'm talking about since they have started working out. I have seen several reports that Garrard looked the best in camp. Show me a single report that says that either Moore or Tannehill looked the best. I saw a report that said Moore looked good 1 day, but not that he looked better than Garrard. Tannehill is having the usual rookie problems of the speed of the game and picking up blitzes etc.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:33:46 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 01:58:12 pm »

I'm with Pappy. I've read more accounts of Garrard looking the best and Ryan having issues with the speed of the game.  I don't have time now to look but I'm sure they are easy enough to find.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2012, 02:02:30 pm »

I have not read everything (which is what I am talking about Pappy) but all the reports I read say it is very close. I seem to remember one article early on (and I beleive it was only talking about one specific practice) that said Garrard clearly had the better day.

Now while you may be inferring Garrard looks the best based on the descriptions, these reports are very limited and I can only recall the one.

If Garrard wins the job, OK. I'm sure he is the better man then. I'm just not sure it is being spelled out that clearly yet. At least not in what I have read.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2012, 03:41:55 pm »

These are few examples, I've read others, but I'll be honest that I didn't find as much on Garrard being the better QB as I had thought, some of the things were more negatives referring to Moore and him not being a practice standout. Maybe I just happened to see the ones that thought Garrard was doing better and really hadn't given Moore a fair assessment, but still I was surprised to read these as I figured it would be Moore that would have the early advantage and I don't see him mentioned much as the front runner. The competition is probably closer than I thought, but I'm still surprised to see that as I thought the job was Moore's to lose.

May 22nd

"-- I've consulted with the jury, and we're giving today's OTA session to David Garrard. Decision making is quick. Tannehill is slow."

June 11th

"Garrard still appears to have an edge at the quarterback position over Matt Moore and Tannehill. He continues to have quick steps out of center, makes quick decisions and strong throws."

June 11th

"Outsiders of the opinion that the Dolphins' quarterback competition to play out this summer is a two-man race might have been surprised to see Miami's starter was veteran David Garrard on Monday.

The Dolphins' OTA session open to the media showcased Garrard as the No. 1 quarterback, not incumbent starter Matt Moore or eighth overall pick Ryan Tannehill.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:47:27 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2012, 08:07:49 am »

I would be careful of judging players performance in OTA's. It's like judging a hitter on how he does in batting practice. OTA's isn't real football. Guys in shorts with no contact, tough to judge anything. When the hitting starts thats when we will find out who is the better man
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 08:48:59 am »

I would be careful of judging players performance in OTA's. It's like judging a hitter on how he does in batting practice. OTA's isn't real football. Guys in shorts with no contact, tough to judge anything. When the hitting starts thats when we will find out who is the better man
That's true for a lot of positions, but the QB position doesn't change a whole lot when you put the pads on.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:46:42 am by Pappy13 » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 05:59:49 am »

On the topic of QB's in camp I ran across this interesting quote/observation today in the Herald from Sean Smith.

Cornerback Sean Smith told WQAM's Joe Rose that Ryan Tannehill's zip on his passes "is something that stands out when you watch the quarterbacks. The ball comes out fast with a lot of force. He's making all the right checks.”

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray