Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:39:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Planning a trip to Miami in November...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Planning a trip to Miami in November...  (Read 6880 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 05:00:07 pm »

I am willing to bet dollars to donuts, that if you are staying anywhere at all convient to the stadium it would cost less to take a taxi to and from the stadium than rent a car plus parking.  

Man you must have missed the discussion about what is close to the stadium.
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 05:09:02 pm »

I wouldn't call the stadium area "the hood", but I'll say it's a dumpy shithole, and I wouldn't let my dog take a shit in that neighborhood...

Bwahahahahahahaha, that's some funny shit right there...........
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 06:31:22 pm »

There's nothing near the stadium.  It's not a ghetto, in terms of being dangerous or feeling unsafe, but it's low-income housing without much else.  Any hotel would require a cab or bus.  You might find a shuttle service taking a bunch of fans (I've done that before).  Did you try the official team hotel?

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »

^^Not yet. Like I said, I'm just trying to get some info on it right now. I'm really disappointed to hear that there's nothing near the stadium. I guess I'm just used to the Cowboys where there are a bunch of nice restaurants within a couple blocks of the stadium. If you eat there on gameday they'll give you a ticket for a bus that will take you to the stadium before and bring you back after so you can leave your car in their parking lot and don't have to pay for parking. Not only that but they usually will offer you a shot of something on the ride over to the stadium to get you warmed up. Guess I have been spoiled and I didn't even realize it. Smiley

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »

Man you must have missed the discussion about what is close to the stadium.

I didn't, in most cities you can travel from end to end a half dozen times by cab before the meter hits the price of a days car rental plus parking. 

There is nothing decent within a $40 taxi ride? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
sampras66

sampras66
Email
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:12:34 pm by sampras66 » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2012, 10:02:53 am »

There's a Wal Mart near the stadium.  And a Race Trac gas station.  That's it.

That's one of my big beefs, actually with both the Marlins and Dolphins stadiums - there's no place to hang out after the game.  The Panthers and Heat both have arenas located walking distance from an entire mall with bars and restaurants.  I can't understand why they chose these locations for stadiums.  Maybe they want people to blow all their money there.

For a while the team (maybe Huizenga?) was discussing building an area right next to the stadium with restaurants and bars.  I think he wanted to do that where the WalMart is now. 

But, Hoodie also has a decent point.  You could stay at the team hotel and take a taxi ride to the stadium.  Or there's a Sheraton right down the road near the highway.  So, there are options if you're OK with taxi riding.  But if you consider a $40 taxi ride to and from airport/hotel, to and from game, you could rent a car and park at the stadium and still go out to dinner every night or see other stuff for far less.  Taxi rides aren't cheap, and everything here is at least a 10-15 miles away.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:04:45 am by Brian Fein » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2012, 10:04:13 am »

Who would be interested in attending a TDMMC tailgate party prior to whatever game Pappy is coming to?
Diehard_Dolfan

Dolphins,Canes,Heat

jmd161@hotmail.com jmd161
Email
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2012, 12:53:36 pm »

Who would be interested in attending a TDMMC tailgate party prior to whatever game Pappy is coming to?

I'd be interested! 

There's a Denny's and another restaurant (I forget the 2nd) across the street from the Walmart...  Not enough to warrant staying near or site seeing around the stadium.  A friend and I discussed yesterday why they built Sunlife and Marlins Park in the locations they did...  I would think the land was much cheaper than in other more upscale areas.   They could have built Marlins park where the Walmart sits and still have the unused land they have there now...   I really thought they would use that land around the stadium for a lot more than they did!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 01:02:25 pm »

^^ I was hoping for that, actually.  But the Marlins were looking for a handout.  They wanted the land for free and the stadium to be subsidized and the city of Miami was happy to agree to basically lock them in from moving to San Antonio/Wichita/Las Vegas, etc.  They were also looking in Boca and Sunrise (next to the Bank Atlantic Center).  I am glad they are locked into Miami, though.

Its too bad they have so much land dedicated to parking at Sun Life because if even one of them was converted to a strip mall, it would be much better.

But, for Pappy, I'm wondering if you could park your car at WalMart (for free) and walk to the stadium.  I have never tried that so I don't know if they have gameday security to prevent it.  I have see people walking from the stadium to Walmart after the games though.
Diehard_Dolfan

Dolphins,Canes,Heat

jmd161@hotmail.com jmd161
Email
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 01:08:47 pm »

^^ I was hoping for that, actually.  But the Marlins were looking for a handout.  They wanted the land for free and the stadium to be subsidized and the city of Miami was happy to agree to basically lock them in from moving to San Antonio/Wichita/Las Vegas, etc.  They were also looking in Boca and Sunrise (next to the Bank Atlantic Center).  I am glad they are locked into Miami, though.

Its too bad they have so much land dedicated to parking at Sun Life because if even one of them was converted to a strip mall, it would be much better.

But, for Pappy, I'm wondering if you could park your car at WalMart (for free) and walk to the stadium.  I have never tried that so I don't know if they have gameday security to prevent it.  I have see people walking from the stadium to Walmart after the games though.

They could have really developed that area to be something nice!   That's why people like my grandmother fought for yrs to make Miami Gardens a city..  A lot of money that was earmarked for the area was going to other areas in the county.  The area has it's issues that's for sure... but, you can actually see the difference in the area since it became The City Of Miami Gardens!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray