Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:28:03 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  QB competition heading into preseason.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: QB competition heading into preseason.  (Read 3654 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: July 09, 2012, 03:00:13 pm »

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/

Seems like it's mostly a 2 man competition now with Garrard still as the favorite at this point. The preseason games are going to be really interesting. Moore tends to look better in "live" situations than in practice and I would guess that Tannehill would at this point too, relying more on his athleticism and arm strength rather than his ability to read defenses for example. Maybe it's not as surprising that the veteran Garrard has looked the best up to this point as I originally thought. I'm curious now to see if he still looks the best in games.

But having said all that, if Moore doesn't end up winning the starter position, I have to agree with MikeO that he might end up getting cut depending on how much of a gap there is between Moore and Tannehill.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:20:18 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:20:15 pm »

Tannehill will not be the #2 QB this season.  Moore or Garrard will not get cut.

Moore and Garrard will battle for the starting job - I think Moore should win it.  Tannehill will be the #3 emergency QB. 

I can't understand why you'd cut a QB.  You think Pat Devlin is going to beat out any of those three guys?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:28:39 pm »

Remember, there is no such thing as an "emergency" QB any more (in the sense of a player who doesn't count towards your player limit).

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »

^ Fine, but you still need 3 QB's.  Unless you dump one of them and then if you need them later on, you have to scramble for waiver wire scrubs.  These guys may not all be world-beaters but they're better than those unemployed right now.

Secretly I think people are just looking for reasons to have Tannehill higher on the depth chart so they can clamor for him to start sooner.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:13:28 pm »

If Tannehill is the #3 QB he gets almost no reps in practice each week with the team. Meaning he will learn nothing, not get much better, and its a wasted season.

It makes zero sense to have Tannehill be the #3 QB when you took him at 8th in the draft. Not starting him I understand, it makes sense. Don't rush him if he isn't ready. NOT giving him practice reps all year is just plain stupid! When the season starts and you are gameplanning each week for an opponent practice time is limited, snaps are limited, and reps are valuable. To have Tannehill buried 3rd on the depth chart and doing nothing in PRACTICE makes no sense! It isn't like Montana/Young are ahead of him. It's Matt friggin Moore and David Gararrd. One of them doesn't need to be here if they aren't the starter.  Want to hold onto one of them till October and trade them at the deadline for a 7th rounder or cut them then, fine I guess. But if they keep both all year it's beyond stupid!

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 04:55:54 pm »

If Tannehill is the #3 QB he gets almost no reps in practice each week with the team. Meaning he will learn nothing, not get much better, and its a wasted season.
There is no NFL rule as to what position in the depth chart you have to occupy in order to receive snaps in practice.  Philbin can give Tannehill every practice snap if he wants to.

If Tannehill isn't getting snaps, it's because Philbin thinks Garrard* may be needed to play.  And from the standpoint of a team that is trying to win, it's better to have the QB that is more likely to play taking more snaps.

You don't give Tannehill a sizable number of practice snaps unless you plan on putting him in the game.  That's just basic common sense.

*presuming Moore wins the starting job
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 05:02:19 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »

Didn't Tebow go from #3 to #1 and leap frog Quinn?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 05:23:00 pm »

Moore must look terrible if they're going to waste him on a guy who hasn't played in a year.  If they're going to do that I'd just as soon they made Tannehill play from day one.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 05:27:33 pm »

Remember, there is no such thing as an "emergency" QB any more (in the sense of a player who doesn't count towards your player limit).
Which is why Miami may only keep 2. I believe Thomas was the #3 QB for most of last year. Then there's the salary to consider, practice snaps etc. If Tannehill is close to whomever is #2, then they might just take a chance and cut either Moore or Garrard, whichever doesn't win the starting spot.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying don't be shocked if it does happen and that it doesn't necessarily mean that Tannehill beat the guy out for #2 either, maybe all he has to be is close. Heck there are people in the NFL saying that if Tannehill is close to the #1 that he might be starting, well I think that logic could be extended to #2 as well.

tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 05:58:29 pm »

"QB competition heading into preseason."

How many times have we seen threads with this title?  :: sigh ::

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:07:10 pm »

How many times have we seen threads with this title?  :: sigh ::
Sorry, I find it interesting. Not much else going on unless you care about Obamacare or the Trayvon Martin murder case which has been overdiscussed itself.

tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 08:14:38 pm »

Sorry, I find it interesting. Not much else going on unless you care about Obamacare or the Trayvon Martin murder case which has been overdiscussed itself.

No I know, it's some news yes obviously, not knocking you at all for posting it.  Merely that I would like to one day in the near future root for a Dolphins team with an established QB.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:52:14 pm »

Training camp is coming. 

I almost feel like Eric Cartman did when he was waiting for the Wii to come out.  However, I will not be freezing myself to skip that time.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 09:56:16 am »

You don't dictate your team's depth chart around who you want to get snaps in practice.  That's the most insane logic I've ever heard.

I'm sure Joe Philbin knows something about bringing up a rookie QB.  And I'm sure its not by making him the ONLY backup on a team that has struggled at QB in the past 15 years.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 11:26:56 am »

My understanding is on most teams on average, the #1 gets almost all the snaps, the #2 gets 2 snaps, the #3 gets one snap.  If Tannehill can't get anything out of practice without his hand on the ball he will learn nothing this year in either the #2 or #3 spot.  As many QB actually do develop from the back up position I doubt you concern means anything.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray