Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:46:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  QB competition heading into preseason.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: QB competition heading into preseason.  (Read 3641 times)
el diablo
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 07:35:16 pm »

Only if you expect him to be on the field this season. At the same time, it doesn't mean that Tannehill will stay #3 all season.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 07:57:17 pm »

My understanding is on most teams on average, the #1 gets almost all the snaps, the #2 gets 2 snaps, the #3 gets one snap.  If Tannehill can't get anything out of practice without his hand on the ball he will learn nothing this year in either the #2 or #3 spot.  As many QB actually do develop from the back up position I doubt you concern means anything.
That's double the # of snaps from #3 to #2. But seriously lets get back to reality now shall we?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:18:03 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Landshark
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 09:15:27 pm »

If Tannehill is the #3 QB he gets almost no reps in practice each week with the team. Meaning he will learn nothing, not get much better, and its a wasted season.

It makes zero sense to have Tannehill be the #3 QB when you took him at 8th in the draft. Not starting him I understand, it makes sense. Don't rush him if he isn't ready. NOT giving him practice reps all year is just plain stupid! When the season starts and you are gameplanning each week for an opponent practice time is limited, snaps are limited, and reps are valuable. To have Tannehill buried 3rd on the depth chart and doing nothing in PRACTICE makes no sense! It isn't like Montana/Young are ahead of him. It's Matt friggin Moore and David Gararrd. One of them doesn't need to be here if they aren't the starter.  Want to hold onto one of them till October and trade them at the deadline for a 7th rounder or cut them then, fine I guess. But if they keep both all year it's beyond stupid!

Once the season begins, player development goes out the window.  At that point, it's about winning games. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 09:24:10 pm »

I seriously doubt that the #2 QB gets "two snaps" per practice.  What is the practice squad QB doing... running laps?

If you mean first-team snaps, then sure.  But you don't have to be taking first-team snaps to gain experience in practice.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 10:04:47 pm »

Once the season begins, player development goes out the window.  At that point, it's about winning games. 
Yeah maybe for GB, Pitt, NE and other contenders. For a first year coach taking over a bad team and who is rebuilding....that's not the case. It's all about grooming the rookie QB they took 8th overall and his job fate is hinged to!

Many teams go into "player development" stage during the season and play the kids with eyes on the future and not the "now" and start looking towards the future.  Look at Minnesota last year as a perfect example. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 05:55:13 am by MikeO » Logged
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 10:20:06 am »

I think mental reps are seriously under rated.  Studies show that you can modify neural pathways very affectively without the actual use of muscles.  In fact, it can be beneficial in progress because the person taking mental reps can focus on whichever aspect they need work on the most.

Tannehill's deficiencies are primarily mental, not physical.  I am sure he could work on his accuracy, but they have drills for that.  If he takes his mental reps seriously, he can do a good bit of growing from the sideline.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 10:42:33 am »

^^ This is what all the coaches have said in every interview I've seen.  The people doing their preparatory clamoring for Tannehill, getting their "lets see what the kid can do, he can't be any worse" mantra ready, are going to be sorely disappointed.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:21 pm »

I think mental reps are seriously under rated.  Studies show that you can modify neural pathways very affectively without the actual use of muscles.  In fact, it can be beneficial in progress because the person taking mental reps can focus on whichever aspect they need work on the most.

Tannehill's deficiencies are primarily mental, not physical.  I am sure he could work on his accuracy, but they have drills for that.  If he takes his mental reps seriously, he can do a good bit of growing from the sideline.

Good points.  Tannehill can learn a lot just from sitting in the film room before and after games.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 01:47:38 pm »

Yeah maybe for GB, Pitt, NE and other contenders. For a first year coach taking over a bad team and who is rebuilding....that's not the case. It's all about grooming the rookie QB they took 8th overall and his job fate is hinged to!

Many teams go into "player development" stage during the season and play the kids with eyes on the future and not the "now" and start looking towards the future.  Look at Minnesota last year as a perfect example. 

Exactly.  Tannehill will get more snaps in practice as a backup for Miami, versus being a backup for another team that has an established franchise QB.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2012, 07:56:09 am »

Everyone in the free world knows that Tannehill is expected to be our future. Regardless of who starts this year, they will do whatever they feel is best to get him ready to play at a time when they expect he will be ready. I think many are  trying to read too much into a second or third string label.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray