Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:59:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Training camp begins today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Training camp begins today  (Read 11975 times)
Landshark
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:10:55 am »

I'm cautiously optimistic.  What about y'all?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:14:01 am »

I'm very optimisitc...that there will be a training camp.  Evil

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:25:39 am »

No Tannehill. It was already a long-shot that he'd be a starter any time soon, and holding out through training camp isn't going to help that. -EK
Landshark
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 09:53:41 am »

No Tannehill. It was already a long-shot that he'd be a starter any time soon, and holding out through training camp isn't going to help that. -EK

I don't get why he is holding out.  With the rookie wage scale in place, its not like he has much leverage in negotiations. 

Good to see you back.  Where ya been?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:59:37 am »

The issue for the holdup is language in the contract. Other NFL teams have been letting up on some language that the Dolphins are holding onto.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 10:10:39 am »

Armando posted about this very thing yesterday ...

Kalil signing today may impact Tannehill talks

Minnesota Vikings first-round pick Matt Kalil signed today.

The deal had no offset language, according to various reports.

That's good news for Ryan Tannehill as his representative continues to talk to the Dolphins about signing their deal without offset language. Offset language allows a team to recoup some of the guaranteed money it pays a particular player in the event that player becomes a bust and is cut before his contract of four or five years (depending on a club option) expires.

The negotiations between the Vikings and Kalil was reportedly being held up by those teams insisting on offset language. The Vikings caved on the issue.

The Dolphins negotiations with Tannehill have included a team desire to include offset language in the deal. According to profootballtalk.com, the offset language issue is what is holding up Tannehill from agreeing with Miami. I have confirmed that is correct.

Obviously if other teams are backing off the demand for the language, the agent for Tannehill can also make the case his client shouldn't have the language in his deal.

So we'll see where this goes as the Dolphins are trying to get Tannehill signed in time for tomorrow's first practice. (Players already reported to camp today.)

With that said, consider this: It is absolutely wise for the Dolphins to try to protect themselves from the possibility that Tannehill might become a bust. But pushing the issue to the extreme that he misses significant training camp time starts things off on bad footing, thus increasing the possibility that Tannehill would be a bust.

It's a catch 22.

The Dolphins nonetheless remain optimistic a deal can be reached by the end of the weekend.

Posted by Armando Salguero at 03:47 PM | Permalink

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/07/minnesota-vikings-first-round-pick-matt-kalil-signed-today-kansas-city-chiefs-first-round-pick-dontari-poe-signed-today-ne.html#storylink=cpy

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 10:22:11 am »

[slightderail]

Why does everything Armando Salguero writes sound like a forum post?  He's the worst journalist on the planet.

[/slightderail]
suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 10:23:36 am »

Way to go Vikes.... dumbasses.

As far as optimism.... there's just virtually nothing left in the tank at this point. Hope & change doesn't get you very far does it?

Show me something.

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 10:48:50 am »

With that said, consider this: It is absolutely wise for the Dolphins to try to protect themselves from the possibility that Tannehill might become a bust. But pushing the issue to the extreme that he misses significant training camp time starts things off on bad footing, thus increasing the possibility that Tannehill would be a bust.

It's a catch 22.

Actually it is less of a catch-22 for the Dolphins than for Tannehill.  A team's instance that the clause remain makes sense.  The agent wanting the modification makes sense.  The player  (himself, not the agent) wanting the modification is a sign of lack of confidence and/or the player listening to the agent instead of his heart.

I bet most players' (including Tannehill and Kalil) attitude is "fuck that, I don't need that, I not going to be bust, how about you get the team to include a clause that says I get an extra million bucks when I make the pro-bowl my rookie year."       

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:14:47 am »

Tannehill is sitting for a while anyway.  Couldn't care less.

I am mostly optomistic about this season and my only hope is that we don't have any key injuries in camp.  We have several positions with good depth but we also have several positions where the next guy up won't be good enough (this year).

I love the reports of the fast paced practices, but I could see that translating into injuries if not monitored closely.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 11:31:55 am »

I don't get why he is holding out.  With the rookie wage scale in place, its not like he has much leverage in negotiations. 

Good to see you back.  Where ya been?

Hey thanks. Didn't think anyone even noticed. My summer microbiology class is brutal. Between that, work, and training, I've been scarce. -EK
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 11:46:09 am »

Unless a player has had some issues, either injury related or off field problems, I'd agree with the player in NOT having the clauses.  The bonus money is the only guaranteed money, they deserve that much, especially with the rookie wage scale in place.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 12:00:21 pm »

So how bout we take out the offset language but reduce the guaranteed money.  Will he sign then?

My guess is "no"
Landshark
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 12:24:22 pm »

Actually it is less of a catch-22 for the Dolphins than for Tannehill.  A team's instance that the clause remain makes sense.  The agent wanting the modification makes sense.  The player  (himself, not the agent) wanting the modification is a sign of lack of confidence and/or the player listening to the agent instead of his heart.

I bet most players' (including Tannehill and Kalil) attitude is "fuck that, I don't need that, I not going to be bust, how about you get the team to include a clause that says I get an extra million bucks when I make the pro-bowl my rookie year."       

I have to agree with the latter part of this post.  If you want to dock his pay if he underperforms, you gotta increase his bonus if he overperforms.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 02:14:47 pm »

[slightderail]

Why does everything Armando Salguero writes sound like a forum post?  He's the worst journalist on the planet.

[/slightderail]

Because it's a blog and not an actual column.  All of the Many writers write using conversational tone in their blogs.

Sometimes it's just random comments about his thoughts or things he observed at practice.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 02:18:28 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray