Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:47:07 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Our season is all about Houston.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Our season is all about Houston.  (Read 1505 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:17:35 pm »

I was going through our schedule and I see between 7 and 8 legitimate wins.

However, I think that, if we slightly overachieve, it isn't unheard of for us to steal a game early or late (due to circumstances of the NFL) and possibly ride that to 10 wins and a playoff berth.

But it all starts with Houston.

We may have an advantage in meeting them the first week of the season, because there are extra variables, like jitters and rust, that you aren't dealing with halfway through the year.

So, IF we beat Houston, which is a team by all measurable accounts we should NOT beat, we start 1-0.
Then, we face Oakland at home, a team we're better than and it's a long trip for them.  2-0
Then, we have the Jets at home at 2-0.  The stadium will be explosively electric if we are undefeated facing the Jets.  That becomes a game that we can win.  3-0.
Then, we go on the road to Arizona and Cincinnati.  Neither of these teams are very scary, but we can win 1 of 2.  That puts us at 4-1.
Then we get the Rams at home.  That makes us a possible 5-1 at the BYE.

This is definitely wishful thinking, but I really think that stealing a win at Houston opens the door to a very hot start.  Losing that game can just as easily take the wind out of our sails and put us way behind the 8-ball.

I drink your milkshake!
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:22:44 pm »

Not to mention Miami has NEVER beaten Houston.  the momentum would be HUGE going into a VERY winable game vs the Raiders. 

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:07:15 pm »

Your rose-colored glasses are working overtime here.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:30:49 pm »

I guarantee about 90% of people in "knockout pools" are taking Houston Week 1. lol If Miami ever pulled an upset they would screw over damn near everyone in the country in one of those pools!
tubba marxxx
Uber Member

Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:14:53 pm »

I guarantee about 90% of people in "knockout pools" are taking Houston Week 1. lol If Miami ever pulled an upset they would screw over damn near everyone in the country in one of those pools!

Good point

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” -- John Lennon
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 03:49:51 pm »

I will take the under on that.   While I doubt anyone will be taking Miami in their knock out pool week 1 the number taking Houston will be ~25%.

Right now Miami is a 7 point underdog.

Better spreads include...

Bears over Colts, Phily over Cleveland, Saints over Redskins, Det over St L.

I'll probably take the Lions game.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 04:24:37 pm »

I thought knockout pools were supposed to be straight up, not vs. spread.

edit: Maybe we are talking about two different things... I'm talking about the type of league where you can only pick a team once for the season, meaning you have to pick 17 different winners.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 04:28:20 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 04:31:52 pm »

^ You are both talking about the same thing.  But he's saying that Miami isn't the best choice that week.  There are bigger favorites (safer bets) in week 1 than choosing Houston over Miami.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:38:13 pm »

Houston will be the "HOT" play week 1.

Luck has a ton of hype, nobody will want to chance that Week 1. If he IS the real deal. Philly is on the road, rule #1 of Knockout pools is avoid Road Teams until you HAVE to take one. Especially early in the year. Nobody in there right mind would take the Saints Week 1 with a 3rd string coach and the offseason they had.

A lot of people, the vast vast majority of people across the country will be taking Houston Week 1 at home vs a Miami team with a national reputation of being a "laughingstock team"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray