Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Reporters continue to stir the pot at Dolphins camp
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Reporters continue to stir the pot at Dolphins camp  (Read 8497 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 07:00:39 pm »

^^The only reason you have Garrard/Moore/Tannehill ALL on the Week 1 roster is because you hope another teams starting QB goes down before the trade deadline and you can move Moore or Garrard for a 6th or 7th round pick.

That makes a little sense actually, but I do agree in principal that there is no need to keep all 3 and if they cut Garrard or Moore (whoever loses the battle) before the season starts I would also be fine with that.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 07:05:50 pm »

^^The only reason you have Garrard/Moore/Tannehill ALL on the Week 1 roster is because you hope another teams starting QB goes down before the trade deadline and you can move Moore or Garrard for a 6th or 7th round pick.

That makes a little sense actually, but I do agree in principal that there is no need to keep all 3 and if they cut Garrard or Moore (whoever loses the battle) before the season starts I would also be fine with that.
Someone is going to trade for the Dolphins #2 QB? Trade what? a 6th round pick? There will be QB's that are pretty close to Matt Moore that will be cut the final week of the pre-season that you can get for nothing. Not worth it.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 07:37:54 pm »

Someone is going to trade for the Dolphins #2 QB? Trade what? a 6th round pick? There will be QB's that are pretty close to Matt Moore that will be cut the final week of the pre-season that you can get for nothing. Not worth it.

Absolutely- there's some out there NOW. McNabb, Delhomme, Losman al lcome to mind, and all are FREE. Why would anyone give up a draft pick for a guy who either didn't couldn't find a job last year, or was let go/not resigned by a 2-14 team the year before. I'd be shocked if someone gave up a pick for either guy. -EK
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 08:03:06 pm »

Teams, decent teams, are gonna lose a QB at some point (Hell Big Ben is already dinged up if not hurt). Happens every year. Some team will part with a 6th or 7th round meaningless pick if it means they can have a "serviceable" career back-up to try and salvage their season.  Nobody will trade for anyone NOW, but come October its a different story. Maybe nobody gets injured by then and there is no trade. But that is rare. Someone will go down

Teams like Chicago and Oakland last year were put in impossible spots because their QB's were dropping like flies. And it cost Chicago big-time in the end.  I have seen worse QB's than Matt Moore get traded in this league.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:05:07 pm by MikeO » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:17 am »

Guys - Garrard is made of glass.  He's a thousand years old and just came off back surgery.  It is entirely possible that you need Matt Moore to step in if Garrard gets injured.  I can't believe you guys - why would you NOT want to have the best chance on your team.

Its called a backup for a reason, and Matt Moore, right now, is better than Tannehill.  Tannehill shouldn't be putting his helmet on one single time for a real game this season unless its the 4th quarter in a game where the score differential is 30 points or more either way.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 11:33:21 am »

Teams, decent teams, are gonna lose a QB at some point (Hell Big Ben is already dinged up if not hurt). Happens every year. Some team will part with a 6th or 7th round meaningless pick if it means they can have a "serviceable" career back-up to try and salvage their season.  Nobody will trade for anyone NOW, but come October its a different story. Maybe nobody gets injured by then and there is no trade. But that is rare. Someone will go down

Teams like Chicago and Oakland last year were put in impossible spots because their QB's were dropping like flies. And it cost Chicago big-time in the end.  I have seen worse QB's than Matt Moore get traded in this league.

Exactly Correct.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 01:49:53 pm »

It is entirely possible that you need Matt Moore to step in if Garrard gets injured.  I can't believe you guys - why would you NOT want to have the best chance on your team.
The Dolphins call them progress stoppers. Read this from Aramando's blog from a few days ago which does a decent job of explaining the problem. Your roster is a balancing act. You only get to choose 53. You don't look at just the QB's and decide who the best 2 or 3 QB's are put them on your roster, you look at the best 53 for your roster. Sometimes that means really tough decisions like having to cut a veteran player who might be better right now than a younger guy because he has more experience, but the younger guy has more upside and with more time will potentially be better than the veteran player.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 02:40:59 pm »

Sorry, I hate Armando the most and I refuse to read his blog.  He's the #1 offender of what my original post was about.  My opinion.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 02:52:22 pm »

Sorry, I hate Armando the most and I refuse to read his blog.  He's the #1 offender of what my original post was about.  My opinion.
Ok, but this wasn't Armando's opinion, he was explaining what the Dolphins have explained to him. The Dolphins believe that a veteran player can sometimes be a hinderance to the team even when he's the better player. They even have a term for it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 02:53:58 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 03:15:24 pm »

And that's fine, but he's speaking from the perspective knowing that he wants Tannehill to accelerate his career path.  Matt Moore stands in his way.  His agenda (although you will likely argue that he has no agenda) is to get Tannehill on the field as soon as possible. 

If it means writing posts about how its bad to keep a veteran backup and keep the rookie buried on the depth chart, then so be it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 04:15:15 pm »

And that's fine, but he's speaking from the perspective knowing that he wants Tannehill to accelerate his career path.  Matt Moore stands in his way.  His agenda (although you will likely argue that he has no agenda) is to get Tannehill on the field as soon as possible. 
Well if you read the blog, he wasn't even talking about Tannehill and Matt Moore, he was talking about whether the Dolphins were interested in bringing in Braylon Edwards and what that would mean to guys like Marlon Moore, Roberto Wallace etc.

Armando is not the one suggesting that Matt Moore should be cut, that's all on me, but I'm using the same theory that the Dolphins were using when considering bringing in Braylon Edwards. He might be better than another player on the roster, but that doesn't necessarily mean you want to keep him over that other player if he has more talent and is younger and just needs experience to possibly be an even better player.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:22:53 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 04:31:17 pm »

Its called a backup for a reason, and Matt Moore, right now, is better than Tannehill.  Tannehill shouldn't be putting his helmet on one single time for a real game this season unless its the 4th quarter in a game where the score differential is 30 points or more either way.

Can't let ya a few preseason games be played before you put Tannehill on the bench for the entire season. Jees, give the guy a chance!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:59 pm »

The Dolphins call them progress stoppers. Read this from Aramando's blog from a few days ago which does a decent job of explaining the problem. Your roster is a balancing act. You only get to choose 53. You don't look at just the QB's and decide who the best 2 or 3 QB's are put them on your roster, you look at the best 53 for your roster. Sometimes that means really tough decisions like having to cut a veteran player who might be better right now than a younger guy because he has more experience, but the younger guy has more upside and with more time will potentially be better than the veteran player.

It's the same reason the Fins probably didn't sign Braylon Edwards. Is Edwards better than most of the WR's on Miami's roster. YES. But you can't carry Edwards, Johnson, Nanee and have 3 WR's who don't play special teams. You can't have a roster like that. It doesn't work.

Moore and Garrard are in the final years of their deals. Tannehill WILL be here next year in 2013. The other 2 probably won't. This notion that we will keep the 2 guys, at QB no less, who won't be here next year at all costs and handcuff Tannehill to the bench all season is silly.

They might keep all 3 for a while. But come October, November or whenever Tannehill's number is called and he is put into action, that will be the week that either Moore or Garrard is cut or traded!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 05:17:42 pm »

Need more evidence that Tannehill is closing the gap on the other 2 QB's? Today Tannehill got some snaps with the 1st team offense. When they asked Philbin about it after practice he said that Tannehill had earned that right via his play in the first couple days of practice when he had been working only with the #2's and #3's.

So how did he do? Well he did fine in drills when no one is in his face. Under pressure he didn't do as well. Not horrible mind you, just not as well.

The determining factor in all of this is going to be the pre-season games. If Garrard looks the best in games, there's no question in my mind that he will start game 1 and Moore will probably back him up. If Moore looks the best in games, then it's going to be a tough call whom to start because he hasn't looked as good as Garrard in practice, they could go with either one and let the other be the backup. If Tannehill looks the best in games, I still think they start the season with Garrard and continue to let Tannehill season a little bit on the bench and wait to see how Garrard does. That would probably be very bad news for Moore however as I don't think they would keep him as the #3 QB.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:56 pm »

Edwards and Marlon Moore/Wallace play the same position.  The argument makes sense.

But cutting Matt Moore to keep Julius Pruitt does not make sense.

And I doubt you'll find anyone that thinks Pat Devlin is more valuable than Matt Moore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray