Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:22:15 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Cutting Johnson not just about character.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cutting Johnson not just about character.  (Read 1246 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: August 12, 2012, 10:40:50 pm »

No one is going to believe this, but I don't believe that Johnson was cut solely for his off the field transgressions. I believe there were other reasons that Johnson was let go as well. Certainly the arrest was a big part of it, but I don't think it was the only part.

I believe some of it had to do with Garrard needing surgery. I also think some of it had to do with the performance of Roberto Wallace and Julius Pruitt in the 1st preseason game. Pruitt and Wallace did pretty well in their 1st preseason game and not only that but they did well with Ryan Tannehill at QB. With Garrard likely not back in time to be the game 1 starter, Tannehill is that much closer to being the starting QB and I think he has more chemistry with the young guys Pruitt, Wallace, Fuller, Cunningham etc. If Tannehill is your future and it certainly seems like he is, why not get him as many reps with the guys that are probably going to be his bread and butter in the future? Johnson would have been a nice target for Garrard this year, they have a lot in common, but not so much for Tannehill, not now and not in the future.

And then some of it I think has to do with Johnson's play on the field. Certainly Johnson had to do some things right to be named the starter on the first depth chart, but honestly I think that had Hartline been practicing, his name would have been at the top and Johnson would have been number 2. Johnson still has the athleticism to get open, but prior to the game some questions about his hands had started to crop up and then he let one go right through his hands in the game. You expect that out of guys like Wallace and Pruitt, but for a vet like Johnson, that can't happen. He has to be consistent because we can get inconsistent play out of guys that are 10 years younger and are still working on consistency.

Combine that with the obvious benefit of sending a message to the rest of your team about character and cutting Johnson became the smart thing to do. This was the right call, for a LOT of reasons.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:49:37 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Landshark
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:45:49 pm »

Bravo Pappy!!!!  Bravo!!!!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 10:48:44 pm »

I disagree. It was 100% about his actions and his arrest.

This team made it perfectly clear this past offseason they are moving on from the problem child players. Trading Marshall for two 3rd's and then Ross saying if we couldn't trade him we were cutting him anyway proves that.

Johnson also constantly bragging about shutting up last year was also a backhanded slap to the Fins. Pretty much saying I showed and gave respect for the Pats and Belichick but I won't for you so I am back to talking non-stop and acting like a clown. That was essentially his message.

It's 100% about character. It's 100% about his arrest. I really don't think you have to read that deep into it at all.

And just like with that jerk Marshall the same applies to Chad Johnson. With Brandon Marshall Miami never finished higher than 3rd place. So why put up with him and his circus? Miami can finish in 3rd or 4th place WITH or WITHOUT Marshall and/or Chad Johnson! We don't need the "drama" to come in last or next to last! There is no need to put up with it!
miamid45
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 11:03:55 pm »

Agreed MikeO...alos feel that Miami would have loved to have him around to attract attention and fans...this bullshit forced them to shut down the sideshow!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 12:33:04 am »

It was both.

He was a marginal player who already was annoying to Philbin and staff, and with his suspect skills and talent combined with the off-field crap, he just wasn't worth the headache.

If he was a stellar talent, and had one random incident, he'd have been given a second chance.  But, clearly the coaching staff thought otherwise.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 01:14:15 pm »

It was both.

He was a marginal player who already was annoying to Philbin and staff, and with his suspect skills and talent combined with the off-field crap, he just wasn't worth the headache.

If he was a stellar talent, and had one random incident, he'd have been given a second chance.  But, clearly the coaching staff thought otherwise.

Agreed
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:51:56 pm »

It is never just about character. 

If a back up QB did what Ben R has done, Steelers would have cut him. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Landshark
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 08:47:08 pm »

It is never just about character. 

If a back up QB did what Ben R has done, Steelers would have cut him. 

Unless you do something really heinous like dogfighting.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:48:01 pm »

Chad Johnson recap:

- Ran his mouth in a press conference that made the team look bad -- reprimanded by Coach.
- Dropped a key pass in the 1st preseason game.
- Headbutted his wife, resulting in a visit to jail.

See ya!

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray