Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:30:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Philben discusses why Tannehill won the job.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Philben discusses why Tannehill won the job.  (Read 1308 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: August 29, 2012, 03:06:02 pm »

I hadn't seen this earlier so I apologize if this is old news to you, but in this article, head coach of the Atlanta Falcons Mike Smith and Joe Philbin discuss why they see promise in Tannehill.

"Most young guys, most rookies, fall for the trap," Smith said. "That young man has a chance to be really good, maybe special."

"Ryan has consistently gotten us out of a bad play or a bad situation with decisions he makes before and after the snap. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he has been the most consistent so far."

Sorry about starting another Tannehill thread, but the other seems to have gotten locked and I thought this was some interesting new information since the last game.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Landshark
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:54:26 pm »

Good article.  Thanks a lot Pappy.  I really think Tannehill is going to be something special, especially because he is in a system he is familiar with.  But he can only do so much before teams begin to adjust to the fact that this Dolphins team has no receivers that would scare anyone.

They gotta get him at least two, and hopefully three sure-handed receivers (one needs to be a deep threat), and a capable pass catching tight end (or two) if this team is going to get back to contention.  It's a passing league.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:05:05 pm »

To Landshark's point, I think Miami could win a lot of games if they had 2 Bess's and one deep threat. With the RB's on the roster, I'm not even sure they need a huge upgrade at TE. Sooooo...hopefully after this year stock-piling draft picks, they can address those needs. -EK
el diablo
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:12:29 pm »

Very good article. I do like the upside in Ryan. I still don't like the rush in getting him out there. Especially with a corps of receivers that should turn in their pro card (outside of Bess). Its like putting Kyle Busch in a 3rd tier Nationwide car, and asking him to win you the Daytona 500. He also needs to stop telegraphing his throws. Its only year one. But you can't deny his talent. Its just a matter of this team being able to develop him into what he can become.
Landshark
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:18:05 pm »

To Landshark's point, I think Miami could win a lot of games if they had 2 Bess's and one deep threat. With the RB's on the roster, I'm not even sure they need a huge upgrade at TE. Sooooo...hopefully after this year stock-piling draft picks, they can address those needs. -EK

Two Bess's?  More like one Bess (slot receiver), one Brandon Marshall (possession receiver) and one Sidney Rice (deep threat), plus a capable tight end.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:18:50 pm »

Clyde Gates is the deep threat
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:20:52 pm »

What happened to Gates? Have I just missed him in these games or has he been pretty uneventful? The guy can fly that's for sure. -EK
el diablo
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:23:34 pm »

Clyde Gates is the deep threat

When he starts catching on a consistent basis, I will agree with you.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 07:24:43 pm »

What happened to Gates? Have I just missed him in these games or has he been pretty uneventful? The guy can fly that's for sure. -EK

Injured early in camp. Can't lean all the X,Y, and Z receiver positions. So he is limited there some. But his speed can't be taught. Has played "well" recently. Being a 3rd round pick he might get a roster spot. It's up in the air
Landshark
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 07:34:15 pm »

Injured early in camp. Can't lean all the X,Y, and Z receiver positions. So he is limited there some. But his speed can't be taught. Has played "well" recently. Being a 3rd round pick he might get a roster spot. It's up in the air

He clearly is having trouble adjusting to a more complicated offense.  On one play against Atlanta, he was lined up so far to the side that he was pretty much out of bounds when he caught the ball.  A few steps in and he would've been gone.

I'm betting at Alabeine Christian, they didn't teach him route running, just told him to fly like the wind.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 07:36:02 pm »

He clearly is having trouble adjusting to a more complicated offense.  On one play against Atlanta, he was lined up so far to the side that he was pretty much out of bounds when he caught the ball.  A few steps in and he would've been gone.

I'm betting at Alabeine Christian, they didn't teach him route running, just told him to fly like the wind.

Which is why you don't want to give up on him after just 1 year. I mean they might in the end but I hope they think long and hard before they do. His speed is a huge weapon if they can find a way to get his head on straight and bring him along correctly he is an asset. Not sure they want to wait around though
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray