Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:33:40 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Power10
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Power10  (Read 7946 times)
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 05:21:25 pm »

I sent mine in both weeks as well. Last week I was late but I sent them 1st thing today.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 08:38:51 am »

FYI -

Week one:  7 people sent me their lists.

Week two:  6 people.

Week three:  1 person.

I WILL NOT CHASE PEOPLE.  I will not solicit.  If I don't have at least ten people responding this isn't happening.  I spent way too much time in years past chasing people around.  You all are adults.  If you said you would do this, do it.  If not, don't. 

We're three weeks into the NFL season and I have a TOTAL of 14 IM's in the message box.

You do the math.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 08:54:53 am »

I didn't do it in week three because obviously it wasn't going to be done. My phone still has the alert set.  If we start it up again I'll contribute.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2012, 11:09:52 am »

Why can't we do with 7 people?  What's the difference?  Averages are averages.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2012, 11:50:29 am »

Just my curiosity speaking...

Why does it have to be in by Tuesday morning?  Any reason why it can't be posted on a Thursday or Friday?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 12:20:17 pm »

I think we need to find a way to automate this system.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 12:37:20 pm »

Take me off the list, please.

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2012, 01:40:05 pm »

Why can't we do with 7 people?  What's the difference?  Averages are averages.

We tried with lower before and it was just WAY too out there.  All it took was one real fruit loop of a vote to skew the whole thing.  Ten, honestly, was pushing it but at least kept it honest.

-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2012, 01:41:59 pm »

The answer is automate - yes...but we've also been kicking those tires for at least five years.

By the way, even if I had posted week one with seven votes -- week two would have only had six.  At what point do we draw the line when over 12 people agreed to do it?

-Voltaire
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:40 pm »

Just my curiosity speaking...

Why does it have to be in by Tuesday morning?  Any reason why it can't be posted on a Thursday or Friday?

This week is a pretty good examle...

Wouldn't we want our PT to be posted before this week's game starts?  The NFL has a game on Thursday night.

This being said, I flat out said for people to just send them and I'll post when I have enough.  I didn't give a dead line this year.

-Voltaire
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2012, 02:10:20 pm »

^^ yep, I get it but if the votes are in before Thursday night's game (so as not to be influenced by the game's result) then the list gets posted Friday or Saturday, I think its OK.  But I see what you're saying.

Automation would be great, but this is just a pain in the butt for one person to organize.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 05:56:45 pm »

Why don't we just drop it? We are now three weeks in and haven't seen a single one. Granted, I don't care enough on the subject to volunteer my time to create one myself but I keep clicking this thread to see one and just keep seeing people discuss how to create one.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 08:46:41 am »

If someone else wants to do it, that's more than fine with me.  I just know in years past I spent too much time defending the list from people who freaked out because team "x" was at 7, while team "y" was at 3...when we only had six or seven people reporting votes.

We have a board of folks that like to debate, which is great - except when it's not.  I was the messenger and the messenger was shot the death a lot back in those days...rarely would folks step up to defend their vote and I will not disclose who voted for what team and where.

I won't go through that again, hence my refusal to put this list together if ten folks can't get off their duff and email me ten NFL teams once a week.  I'm still not understanding how this is a hardship.

It is too bad.  Here is the thing -- when it works, IT WORKS.   

So -- I'm out.

-Voltaire
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 08:59:50 am »

Send them to me. If no one sends it in ... then I'll post my own with the Jets at the top and blame others for it!! I'll steal Sports Illustrated for this week to get started.

NFL Power Rankings
Last Week: 1
Houston Texans (3-0)

We don't really need ear lobes, but I'm sure it still hurt like heck for Matt Schaub to leave a piece of his left one on the field Sunday in Denver. As a nickname, he could do worse than Matt Van Gogh, which has a nice double meaning if you happen to be leading a high-octane offense like Houston's. I can't wait to see if the Texans list him on this week's injury report, because I don't recall ever seeing the words "ear" or "lobe" chronicled in that must-read piece.

Last Week: 6
Atlanta Falcons (3-0)

For quite a while now we've been used to seeing the Falcons capable of beating anyone at home in the dome, where they play fast and feed off the energy and noise of their crowd. But now Matt Ryan-led Atlanta is going on the road and looking like the same dominant team it is under the big top, and that formula should produce an NFC South title and a top seed for the Falcons this season.

Last Week: 4
Baltimore Ravens (2-1)

Torrey Smith's memorable night against the Patriots neatly obscured the defensive issues that Baltimore struggled with in its win against New England. I really didn't see new, slimmed-down Ray Lewis do much of anything after his contrived pregame, made-for-TV dance/convulsion was over, and Ravens cornerback Cary Williams was picked on mercilessly all night by Tom Brady. It does appear that a prediction some of us made in the preseason is coming true: The Ravens offense will have to carry the Ravens defense more than we've seen in recent years.

Last Week: 1
San Francisco 49ers (2-1)

I wouldn't want to be the Jets this week, playing host to a 49ers team that was just embarrassed by its underachievement in Minnesota. My hunch is that San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh is one of the best in the business at using an upset loss as smelling salts under the nose of his team, getting his players' attention with a whiff of the stench of defeat. Sometimes a setback can be instructive and help a team learn how to consistently bring it each and every week. Plus, the 49ers are doing that stay-in-Ohio-thing again this week, and that worked out pretty well for them heading east to Philadelphia last year.

Last Week: 8
New York Giants (2-1)

There they go again. Back them into a corner and tell the Giants not much is expected of them, and they almost always respond, as they did in that dismantling of Carolina last Thursday night. Tom Coughlin's team is just fundamentally and psychologically ill-suited to the favorite's role, but it loves proving the critics wrong. It seems simplistic, but nobody ever said professional athletes were all that complicated. The tired and repetitive us-versus-the-world theme works every season, in many different ways and venues.

Last Week: 11
Arizona Cardinals (3-0)

The Cardinals are the surprise of the young NFL season, and they might just ride a favorable schedule to six or even seven wins between now and the end of October. But the trick at the moment is trying to figure out whether their unexpected 3-0 start reminds us more of the 2011 Bills (3-0 start, disappointing 6-10 finish) or the 2010 Chiefs (3-0 start, playoff-qualifying 10-6 finish)? Tune in next week, and 13 more after that, to see where this developing story goes.

Last Week: 3
Green Bay Packers (1-2)

Maybe he knew the rest of us would do the whining (and then some) for him, but Packers coach Mike McCarthy won a lot of fans within the league with his refusal to go ballistic over Monday night's miscarriage of justice in Seattle. And for the most part, his team followed suit (excepting T.J. Lang and one or two others). Can you imagine what might have been spewed from other locker rooms? Say, the Jets' for instance? Bart Scott might have needed to be tranquilized.

Last Week: 5
New England Patriots (1-2)

What are two 1-2 teams doing in our top 8, you say? Relax. We all know the Packers are really 2-1 in a cosmic sense (even you, Pete Carroll), and the Patriots are a couple plays away from being 3-0. New England may be under .500 for the first time since the 2003 opener (a truly astounding statistic), but Bill Belichick's team isn't in any real trouble yet. Let the Pats lose in Buffalo this week -- as they did last September -- and we'll reconsider.

Last Week: 15
Dallas Cowboys (2-1)

I'm not sure how I managed to jump the Cowboys six spots to the better based on their ho-hum win over Tampa Bay in Week 3, but that's how the fortune cookie crumbled in this case. Love the way Dallas' defense stiffened repeatedly against the Bucs, but the Cowboys offensive line remains worthy of being classified a crime scene, complete with yellow tape surrounding it. And what's up with Jason Witten's hands? One of the game's best pass-catching tight ends is suddenly the game's busiest pass-dropping tight end.

Last Week: 7
Philadelphia Eagles (2-1)

When Nick Foles was catching fire late in the preseason, I posed that the rookie replacing Michael Vick at some point was only implausible to the degree that once upon a time we thought Tom Brady could never unseat Drew Bledsoe in New England. But now Eagles coach Andy Reid is sounding like he's thinking the same thing, and promising to evaluate the turnover-prone Vick as we go. That makes Sunday night's NFC East first-place showdown with the visiting Giants all the more crucial for No. 7, who has yet to resemble the focused and driven Vick we wrote about this offseason.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
bsfins
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:51 am »

Not Knocking Dave or Fau with saying this...IMO the best solution would be a Message board poll option,but using a form of Alternative vote to form a power ten..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray