Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:30:16 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Bad refs -- Good for the NFL?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bad refs -- Good for the NFL?  (Read 1473 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: September 25, 2012, 05:05:02 pm »

Hear me out...

I think the NFL might be in a really good position here.

1) Everyone wants to watch these crazy refs.  Yes, we complain, but we are watching and the games are definitely entertaining, even if for the wrong reasons.

2) The quality of the refs doesn't really relate to the labor dispute.  The NFL is not standing their ground because the scab refs are as good.  They are standing their ground because they don't want to pay what the other refs are asking.  But demand isn't changing.  In fact, other NFL-related programs are doing very, very well.  Sportscenter last night was the highest it's been rated since 1995.

So, as long as it doesn't damage the long term viability of the brand (which I don't think it will), what does the NFL have to lose here?  Eventually, they'll figure this out, the old refs will come back and they'll get what they want.  People will think Goodell an asshole, but that's kinda what he's there to do -- represent the owners and be their scapegoat.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 05:19:12 pm »

Steve Young already summed it up.  The NFL doesn't need to cave to the refs' demands, because no matter how bad the replacements are, suckers like you and me will still show up every Sunday anyway.

The only hope at this point is that the players' union steps in ("safety concerns" has already been floated as a reason).

mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »

I'm going to continue to watch the Dolphin games, but I don't know about the other games.  What's the point?  Bullshit refs are going to make bullshit calls and screw up games.

I'll still probably watch the Redzone coverage after the Dolphin game, but I can't continue to raise my blood pressure watching any more national tv debacles.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:29:42 pm »

Steve Young already summed it up.  The NFL doesn't need to cave to the refs' demands, because no matter how bad the replacements are, suckers like you and me will still show up every Sunday anyway.

Bingo, I guarantee you if the fans boycotted and literally attendance was like 1,000 at all the games....the old refs would be back the next day!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Landshark
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 05:30:09 pm »

That Dolphins Jets game took over four hours to complete.  And it still would've been a long game without the OT.  There was a bunch of stoppages in the second half.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 06:13:16 pm »

This is one of the worst cases of "Corporate Greed" I have seen in my life. It is disgusting on every level what the NFL is doing. A billion dollar entity fighting over $62,000-$100,000 per team! These owners and the NFL which will hold city's hostage and threaten to move if they don't get public funding for stadiums. The same NFL which FORCES fans to pay top dollar for 2 preseason games if they buy season tickets. The NFL owners who rape people on PSL's to get every possible last dime they can out of them.  This same NFL that will start playoff games at night in cold weather city and freeze fans out cause they gotta make a few extra TV dollars and its better to be on in prime-time than the middle of the afternoon.  THIS same NFL and the owners are now fighting over less than 1% of total revenues (of $9 billion +) on paying refs! These NFL owners piss money away but are drawing the line in the sand over this? 

Taking the NFL's side on this issue is like rooting for an American company to outsource jobs overseas to make a few extra bucks. At what expense? At what expense? It's corporate greed at it's worst. Fighting over less 1% of total revenue of $9 billion? Are you kidding me!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »

This same NFL that will start playoff games at night in cold weather city and freeze fans out cause they gotta make a few extra TV dollars and its better to be on in prime-time than the middle of the afternoon. 

Speaking as someone who grew up in cold weather, we actually think that is what football weather is supposed to be.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray