Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:12:17 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  "Serious Sanctions for Spurs"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: "Serious Sanctions for Spurs"  (Read 12353 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:01:18 am »

Here's the full story: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8692304/san-antonio-spurs-sit-4-top-5-scorers-vs-miami-heat

In short, the NBA only had 2 games on last night, so they were both propped up: Nationally televised with the pomp and circumstance that goes with it.  However, because the Spurs were ending a road trip, Coach Popavich decided to pull his guys and put his 4 highest scorers on the place back to San Antonio.

David Stern is pissed.  Not only was the arena pretty full last night, but they brought out Barkley and Reggie Miller and the rest of the big guns to put this on TV and the game, while close, was a boring turd.  He promised "serious sanctions for the Spurs."

I certainly understand David Stern's position;  In my opinion, what the Spurs did was bush league.  However, I don't really feel comfortable with the league dictating who should and should not play in games, regardless of the reason.  That creates a very slippery slope.  I don't have a problem with the league taking action, but only if that action is things like moving the Spurs out of the national spotlight when it comes to things like primetime games.

Thoughts?

I drink your milkshake!
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:24:04 am »

Just ridiculous for Stern to say anything about this; especially since Pop has apparently done this in the past. Maybe don't schedule games five days in a row?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:33:56 am »

This is ridiculous for Stern to be saying anything about the way Pop coaches his team. Pop does this sort of "mass rest for the vets" a lot when the schedule gets thick.

Basically, to quote the character Hanover Fiste, from the movie "Heavy Metal"...

"Stern!?! He's nothing but a low-down, double-dealing, backstabbing, larcenous perverted worm! Hanging's too good for him... Burning's too good for him! He should be torn into little bitsy pieces and buried alive!"

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:46:59 am »

In my opinion, what the Spurs did was bush league. 

I don't think choosing to rest your starters was bush league at all.  When you have such an exhausting road trip like the Spurs just had,  you gotta do what you gotta do, regardless of who you're up against. 

If Big Shot Stern does levy any fines or sanctions against the Spurs for this, Poppovich should pursue legal action against the league.  I'm so glad Stern is stepping down as commish after this season.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:05:11 pm »

Poppovich, in my opinion, is losing sight of the ultimate goal.  If you think it's to win games, you're wrong.  It's to provide entertainment.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »

Poppovich, in my opinion, is losing sight of the ultimate goal.  If you think it's to win games, you're wrong.  It's to provide entertainment.

No you are wrong. Popovich is not there to provide entertainment. That is the role of the NBA in general. Popovich's personal role is most certainly to win games and championships. Do you honestly think in a performance review the Spur's owner would say, "Well we finished below .500 this year but you sure did provide some entertainment."?

The NBA needs to step back. Stern may not be the worst commish now thanks to the NHL but he only moved up one spot.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:26:35 pm by Phishfan » Logged
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »

Stern is off of his damn rocker.....Pop has been known to do this for the past few seasons and it is the coach's right to decide who plays and who doesn't.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »

I agree that Stern is overstepping, but I think that Pop's reasoning is bad at this point in the season.  Sit vs Orlando.  Not against a televised prime game vs the defending champs when the NBA is counting on you to build their brand.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 02:30:44 pm »

Why is his reasoning bad? He is trying to rest players and giving them the night off against the Heat gives them a couple days off in a row. Taking a night off in Orlando makes them play again the next day. I think you are looking at this from the wrong angle here completely Dave. The fact that the game against the Heat was on TV should not play any part in the decision. Resting his players and the best way to do so is his only responsibility.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 04:10:28 pm »

No, "winning championships" is not the ultimate goal of NBA teams.  It is to provide entertainment.

For example, tanking getting game experience for your young players in order to get the #1 overall pick so you can draft Tim Duncan or Kevin Durant is the smart move if your goal is to win championships.   The NBA frowns upon and discourages such actions because it reflects poorly on the league as an entertainment medium.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:49:41 pm »

No, "winning championships" is not the ultimate goal of NBA teams.  It is to provide entertainment.

As a fan, I am most entertained by my team winning championships...   If my coach has won multiple championships, and occasionally resting his older players en masse to break up tough parts of the schedule has been part of his process in winning those championships, then more power to him.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:59 pm »

^ You're entertained by your team.  But the NBA is trying to draw fans of many teams to watch the HEAT/Spurs...not just fans of both teams.  Nobody wanted to watch that garbage last night.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:16:51 pm »

^^^ And I don't believe that the TV watch-ability should ever be a coach's concern...

~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 06:54:23 pm »

^^^ And I don't believe that the TV watch-ability should ever be a coach's concern...

It shouldn't. If Stern was so adamant about a 100% Spurs lineup, then maybe he shouldn't have scheduled the Spurs to play 4 games in 5 days. They only lost by 5 anyway, so he has no argument.

He has no justification to fine them and legally he can't anyway. The Players Union wouldn't allow themselves to be dictated when and where their players are allowed to rest by a commissioner.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 09:47:16 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray