Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:22:24 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dilfer: Tannehill will be a Rock Star
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dilfer: Tannehill will be a Rock Star  (Read 7501 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: December 07, 2012, 11:33:11 pm »

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2012/12/07/trent-dilfer-miami-dolphins-qb-ryan-tannehill-is-going-to-be-an-absolute-rock-star-in-the-nfl/

Trent Dilfer is very high on Tannehill and has a common sense level headed opinion of him which is in line with the way MANY of us Dolphins fans feel. There is something there with this kid, it just might take a little time!

“He’s a fantastic player. I think he’s going to be an absolute rock star in this league, but it may take a little bit longer than some other places.”

“Is he going to struggle, even next year? Absolutely, he’s going to struggle a little bit,” Dilfer said. “They’re not an overly talented offense. Because of that, it’s harder for the quarterback to be successful. Teams have figured out the possession passing game a little bit that they got away with early on, so they’ve got to make adjustments.”

“When you have a quarter like they have in Tannehill, they can mask some flaws for awhile while you rebuild the roster,” Dilfer said. “(Tannehill) has handled the job incredibly well. What he’s been able to accomplish tells me his ceiling his very high.”
el diablo
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:33:09 am »

Do you want a rock star or a quarterback?
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:34:56 am »

I have to ask- if it's too early for me to say he's a bust right now- not something I said in week 1 or 3, but right this minute- based on not improving anything from college, why isn't it also too early to proclaim him a superstar? For every Dilfer type report, there's 20 that have Wilson playing better football than Tannehill at this point, and he was taken two rounds later. -EK
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:42:36 am by EKnight » Logged
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:15:05 am »

Hell yeah! You can't be a "Bust" 3 months into your rookie when you have started pretty much every game at QB and played very well at times and actually won some games in this league.

The "BUST" word is saved for guys who don't play at all, have no flashes of doing anythnig good at all when they do play, or guys who have been in the league 2,3, or 4 years (ie Vernon Gholston) and have done nothing at all.

Was Peyton Manning and his 28 INT's in his NFL rookie year, a bust? He didn't improve anything from his college days, he was god awful his first NFL YEAR. He was far wore than Tannehill is! And Peyton had talent around him, hall of fame talent (Faulk/Harrison). Tannehill doesn't.

Tannehill isn't anywhere near a BUST. You must actually know what an "NFL BUST" is before you start throwing around the term. Wait another full year  then have this conversation again. Start it Week 17 of 2013, then we can have a serious conversation about whether Tannehill is a bust.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 11:19:43 am »

Tannehill ain't bust.  He ain't a rock star either. 

I believe Sanchez had a better rookie year than Tannehill has had so far. And both Sanchez and Tannehill had better rookie years than Peyton Manning. 

Calling Tannehill a rock star is as misguided as calling him a bust. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 11:25:36 am »

For every Dilfer type report, there's 20 that have Wilson playing better football than Tannehill at this point, and he was taken two rounds later. -EK

I must have missed all the threads of people talking about Tannehill being better than Russell Wilson... I also don't see ANY connection between what Dilfer is saying in this piece and a Tannehill-Wilson comparison.  Are you saying that Wilson is the median bar, and QBs below him suck and QBs above him don't?  Could you clarify the connection for me?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 11:27:45 am »

I'm saying what I always said- Tannehill isn't as good as people think and taking him at 8 overall is what is ultimately going to make him a bust. 8 was a huge stretch and clearly there were better players (ie, Wilson) available afterwards. Imagine if Miami had made a play to replace Marshall with Blackmon, and drafted Wilson later. -EK
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 11:35:01 am »

...Imagine if Miami had made a play to replace Marshall with Blackmon, and drafted Wilson later. -EK

Imagine a fan who supports his team without needing to turn his random daydreams about "what might have been" into boo-hoo and argument fodder.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:37:52 am »

I'm saying what I always said- Tannehill isn't as good as people think and taking him at 8 overall is what is ultimately going to make him a bust. 8 was a huge stretch and clearly there were better players (ie, Wilson) available afterwards. Imagine if Miami had made a play to replace Marshall with Blackmon, and drafted Wilson later. -EK

Once again too early.  We don't know enough about either Wilson or Tannehill.  

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 11:52:54 am »

Once again too early.  We don't know enough about either Wilson or Tannehill.  

Fair enough. But why isn't the same thing being said when Dilfer makes comments like, "he's going to be a rock star." If it's too early to tell if he sucks, it's too early to tell if he's going to be great. -EK
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 12:26:43 pm »

Fair enough. But why isn't the same thing being said when Dilfer makes comments like, "he's going to be a rock star." If it's too early to tell if he sucks, it's too early to tell if he's going to be great. -EK

See my earlier comment.  Both are consistant.  As is every other post I have ever made about a rookie -- with the exception of Jerod Mayo who I did declare after only a half a season to be better the Vern Golston. 

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 12:36:35 pm »

See my earlier comment.  Both are consistant.  As is every other post I have ever made about a rookie -- with the exception of Jerod Mayo who I did declare after only a half a season to be better the Vern Golston. 

I'm OK with that then. So can we stop getting all worked up every time such and such commentator declares him to be cast upon Mt. Greatness? Is it really necessary to have nearly 10 different threads, all started by the same person, each with a different talking head's opinion on Tannehill's greatness, when it's still to early to tell? -EK
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 12:59:32 pm »

Imagine a fan who supports his team without needing to turn his random daydreams about "what might have been" into boo-hoo and argument fodder.

Grin
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »

I'm OK with that then. So can we stop getting all worked up every time such and such commentator declares him to be cast upon Mt. Greatness? Is it really necessary to have nearly 10 different threads, all started by the same person, each with a different talking head's opinion on Tannehill's greatness, when it's still to early to tell? -EK

You dont' have to read every thread, you can skip some. The title of the thread sort of gave away the point of what was in it.  If you didn't like the content, nobody forced you to click to open it up and read it or to click to respond! Just sayin!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »

We getting worked up???

It really isn't a "we."

There is one person who seems to think Tannehill walks on water and  thinks he is the reincanation of Marino.  (MikeO)

There is one person who attacks Tannehill on every little thing and thinks he is the reincaration of Ryan Leaf. (you)

Da rest of us haven't taken either of those extreme positions.  Might be nice if the two of you could tone it down a bit.  It is getting annoying for the rest of us.  

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray