Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:12:48 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Best team in the NFL now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Best team in the NFL now?  (Read 3578 times)
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 01:50:45 pm »

Green Bay.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 02:44:45 pm »

I'm gonna still say the 49'ers. They've had a couple of slip-ups to teams they should have beat, but I still think they have the most dominant team top to bottom. If NE beats the 49'ers then I'll switch my vote to NE.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »

2 weeks ago the 49ers lost to the Rams at home.

Best team in the league?
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 04:31:17 pm »

^^^ Yep...the question wasn't "which team is undefeated?" Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 07:20:03 pm »

2 weeks ago the 49ers lost to the Rams at home.

Best team in the league?
New England lost to Arizona at home.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 12:00:24 pm »

New England lost to Arizona at home.

Week 2. 

If the question isn't just has the best record, but who is playing the best right now, games from week 1 and 2 count a whole lot less than the last two games played. 

By one metric the rankings are Denver than right behind them NE with a long fall off to the Skins.  Denver has won 8 in a row, NE 7, and the Skins.  Far from a perfect metric cause it puts the Eagles ahead of the Texans.  But your record for the last 6 games says a lot more than your record for the first 7.

Denver and NE are both playing great football right now.  Both started off a bit rocky.  With Denver the answer is obvious -- Peyton needed to get on the same page with his recievers.  But NE as well has seen improvements in all aspects of its game. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 02:08:55 pm »

If the question isn't just has the best record, but who is playing the best right now, games from week 1 and 2 count a whole lot less than the last two games played. 
No question. There's also no question that Arizona appeared to be a much better team in week 2 then they do now, so I'm fully aware that it's not necessarily indicative of how good New England is. On the other hand, I consider St. Louis a MUCH better team than Arizona right now, so San Fran lost to a better team than did New England even if it was week 2. NE also lost to Seattle in Week 6 that SF beat in Week 7 so what does that tell you?

But your record for the last 6 games says a lot more than your record for the first 7.
Depends on your schedule. Who has New England beat in the last 6 weeks? They beat Denver but that was week 5, so if week 2 doesn't count against them, then week 5 doesn't count for them. The fact is that NE has played a fairly soft schedule in the last couple weeks other than Houston. To their credit they've won easily, but I'm still not convinced they are better than SF.

Denver and NE are both playing great football right now.  Both started off a bit rocky.  With Denver the answer is obvious -- Peyton needed to get on the same page with his recievers.  But NE as well has seen improvements in all aspects of its game. 
Denver has also played a week schedule lately. They had PIT, ATL, NE and HOU on their schedule in the first 5 weeks, perhaps that had something to do with the rough start and had very little to do with Peyton needing to catch up? I know most of you don't give much credence to strength of schedule, you like to look at wins/losses, but I think you have to look at both. Usually looking at both things together is more indicative of level of play then just the win/loss column.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 02:46:49 pm »

^^ I do agree with you SoS (who you played matters). 

Need to look at seveal things beyond record.

- who the team played.
- when (recent games count more)
- did they dominate in their wins/get dominated in their losses. If your losses are blow outs and your wins are razor close vs. your wins are blow outs and your losses are razor close.  I consider the Giants (26-3) loss more of a knock on the 49rs than the OT loss to the Rams. NE's win over the Texans more impressive than the win over the Fins in which the Dolphins kept it much more competive than I expected.
-injuries (if a couple of key player were out for injury in the losses and are back now that bodes well for your future, if you just recently lost some key players to IR that does't bode well)

I think you put a bit too much focus on SOS and not enough on the closeness/blowoutness of the wins and losses. 

Sunday night should be a great game to watch as the debate seems to center around NE and 49rs.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray