Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:53:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  New blog post: Why Jeff Ireland deserves to keep his job
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: New blog post: Why Jeff Ireland deserves to keep his job  (Read 21563 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 11:55:02 am »

^ I don't think that people are going to by-and-large stand up and express that they didn't come here because of Ireland.  But it's known that free agents avoid poor front offices.

You don't need concrete proof.  This isn't court.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 01:47:56 pm »

It was proven that Ryan Clark used the Dolphins to get what he wanted out of Pittsburgh.  I don't really care what he says.

But I still don't think that one single guy is the reason free agents won't come here.  Maybe it has more to do with 1 playoff appearance in the past decade and a generally unstable environment.  Like 16 different starting QB's and 5 different head coaches in the past 12 seasons.  I wouldn't want to work for that company either.
Landshark
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »

It was proven that Ryan Clark used the Dolphins to get what he wanted out of Pittsburgh.  I don't really care what he says.

The hell he used Miami to get what he wanted out of Pittsburgh.  Miami offered him MORE MONEY than Pittsburgh was offering and he turned it down. 

He came out and said TO THE MEDIA that the main reason he turned down Miami was that they didn't have the right GUY WHO WAS MAKING THE DECISIONS.  Let's see, who has final say on player personnel??  That's right, Jeff Ireland. 

You asked me to show you where a player came out and said he didn't come to Miami because he didn't like Jeff Ireland.  Both Spider and myself have obliged.  Now let me ask you to show me this alleged "proof" where Ryan Clark used Miami to get what he wanted out of Pittsburgh.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 02:45:25 pm »

OK fine, I will concede your one example, disregarding the assumption you're making that "guy who was making decisions" = Ireland, and not Sparano or Ross or anyone else.  That still doesn't support your general sweeping allegation that "a lot of free agent players (and coaches) are avoiding coming to the Dolphins."

One guy is not a trend.
Landshark
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 03:40:08 pm »

OK fine, I will concede your one example, disregarding the assumption you're making that "guy who was making decisions" = Ireland, and not Sparano or Ross or anyone else.  That still doesn't support your general sweeping allegation that "a lot of free agent players (and coaches) are avoiding coming to the Dolphins."

One guy is not a trend.

Not a trend you say?  Jim Harbaugh met with the Dolphins.  He turned them down.  Jeff Fisher met with the Dolphins.  He turned them down.  Peyton Manning met with the Dolphins.  He turned them down.  Matt Flynn met with the Dolphins.  He turned them down.  Alex Smith met with the Dolphins.  He turned them down. 

None of them stepped in front of the media like Ryan Clark did, but their actions speak volumes here.  Especially the part about Peyton Manning going to the Tennessee, Denver, and San Francisco training facilities, but making Miami come to him.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 03:50:15 pm »

Brian, I don't know why you would ask for evidence that Ireland is disliked, then immediately reject that evidence.

Do you know how incredibly uncommon it is for a player to come out in public and say, "This GM is an idiot and an asshole?"  Can you name three other GMs in the history of the NFL that have been publicly bashed by a player that they didn't cut?

I agree that Ireland deserves one more year to prove himself.  But it is freaking OBVIOUS that he is not respected in this league.  I don't know how many consecutive rejections it would take to convince you otherwise.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 03:56:30 pm »

You cannot attribute EVERY ONE of these rejections to Jeff Ireland and his personality.  Please tell me you're not serious.

Matt Flynn got more money from Seattle.  Had nothing to do with Ireland, other than the fact that he wasn't willing to overpay for an unproven career backup.  How'd that work out?

I'm refuting Landshark's outlandish statement that stated that no one wants to play for the Dolphins because of Jeff Ireland.  It may be true, may be false, but it is no more than a presumption based on hate on his part.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 03:59:11 pm »

If I was a player, considering all the bad press this front office has gotten, I wouldn't want to come here. 

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 04:49:57 pm »

You cannot attribute EVERY ONE of these rejections to Jeff Ireland and his personality.  Please tell me you're not serious.
Given that you just asked for "1 single quote" from someone that didn't come here because of Ireland, I presume you attribute exactly zero of these rejections to Ireland.  Are YOU serious?

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 05:44:18 pm »

Don't presume.  Its not becoming.

I am saying we don't know why, and thus PRESUMING that its all Ireland's fault is unfounded.  You're the one that always wants facts to backup claims.  I'm saying there are no FACTS to prove that Alex Smith, Matt Flynn, and all the other player that have turned Miami down in the past 5 years did so because of Jeff Ireland.  Its all suspicion and presumption.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 05:54:07 pm »

Flynn didn't come here because of the money, Seattle paid more...period. Same can be said for Alex Smith. Miami had to call in favors just to get a sit-down with Peyton, so unfair to say he didn't come here because of Ireland. He wasn't going to a rebuilding team period. He sat with Miami as a favor to a friend (Marino)

Now, Ryan Clark. YES he didn't come here because of Ireland he claims (but that might be a money issue for all we know). But ok, let's pin that one on Ireland.  Fisher and Harbaugh you can't pin on Ireland. Those calls are made by Ross. If Ross wanted either he could have offered more money and/or FIRED Ireland. You can't pin those 2 on Ireland.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 06:01:03 pm »

Technically you could pin Fisher on Ireland just for being alive, because he wanted "full control" and Ross wanted to keep Ireland.  So, you could spin it that way, if you are so inclined.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 06:05:06 pm »

Technically you could pin Fisher on Ireland just for being alive, because he wanted "full control" and Ross wanted to keep Ireland.  So, you could spin it that way, if you are so inclined.

Not in my book, its up to Ross to then fire Ireland if he really wanted Fisher. Can't pin that on Ireland
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 06:19:00 pm »

Now, Ryan Clark. YES he didn't come here because of Ireland he claims (but that might be a money issue for all we know). But ok, let's pin that one on Ireland.  Fisher and Harbaugh you can't pin on Ireland. Those calls are made by Ross. If Ross wanted either he could have offered more money and/or FIRED Ireland. You can't pin those 2 on Ireland.
Uh, what?

If Ross' decision NOT to fire Ireland was the reason why they didn't come to Miami, Ireland is the reason why they didn't come to Miami.  This is the most simple and straightforward logic in the world.

If you are going to say, "Well, Ross could have fired Ireland," then literally every transaction is directly on Stephen Ross.  I mean, Ross could have offered Ryan Clark twice as much money!  Ross could have fired Ireland rather than let him trade Marshall!  Ross could have told Ireland not to draft Michael Egnew!

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 06:21:54 pm »

Uh, what?

If Ross' decision NOT to fire Ireland was the reason why they didn't come to Miami, Ireland is the reason why they didn't come to Miami.  This is the most simple and straightforward logic in the world.

If you are going to say, "Well, Ross could have fired Ireland," then literally every transaction is directly on Stephen Ross.  I mean, Ross could have offered Ryan Clark twice as much money!  Ross could have fired Ireland rather than let him trade Marshall!  Ross could have told Ireland not to draft Michael Egnew!

I understand your point of view, but see it differently. If Fisher said I will come to Miami if Ireland is gone......then its not Ireland's fault then it falls on Ross's feet to make a decision who do ya want more?  Fisher or Ireland. Just the way I see it. Obviously you disagree.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray