Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:32:33 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Tony Sparano reportedly doubted by Jets players
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Tony Sparano reportedly doubted by Jets players  (Read 7426 times)
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« on: January 03, 2013, 10:37:38 am »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000121516/article/tony-sparano-reportedly-doubted-by-jets-players

Tony Sparano reportedly doubted by Jets players

By Marc Sessler
    Around the League Writer
    Published: Jan. 3, 2013 at 08:48 a.m.
    Updated: Jan. 3, 2013 at 09:16 a.m.

Before this season began, Tony Sparano was labeled as a hard-working, no-nonsense coordinator who would bring discipline and grit to the offense of the New York Jets.

Sixteen painful games later and the shine was off. Sparano is most definitely not returning to Florham Park and it appears coach Rex Ryan wasn't the only one hoping for a change.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports Jets players doubted Sparano's play-calling abilities from early on. According to Mehta, players told him Sparano lacked "creativity and flexibility" in his play-calling with a distinct lack of imagination and innovation.

The Jets roster, for once, isn't breaking any news here.

Anybody who viewed the Jets for more than a quarter of play witnessed an offense stuck in the mud. New York went into the year singing songs of the ground and pound and a maturing Mark Sanchez. The addition of Tim Tebow brought the media rushing out to Florham Park, where we were treated to miniseries-length broadcasts from training camp. Men in green hovering over the summer grasses. All of it ultimately meaningless.

This is the same team that found a way to extinguish Tebowmania only months after it ruled the nation. No small feat, and only one aspect of the unraveling of this year's New York Jets.[/size][/size][/size][/i][/i][/i]

Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:47:58 am »

I could never figure out why the Jets brought in Sparano.  It wasn't like Miami was an offensive juggernaut when he was the head coach, and I don't believe he had any play calling experience prior to that.  Wasn't he an O-line coach in Dallas?  Like so many moves the Jets made, I was left scratching my head. 

In the same vein, I couldn't believe Buffalo brought in Wannstedt as asst head coach and made him the DC this year.  At least he had some success in Dallas, but I credit JJ with that.  I know not everyone shares my opinion, but I think he's a terrible, terrible, terrible game day coach.

Too bad (for the Dolphins), they have both been fired.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:28:26 pm »

Sparano called plays for DAL in 2006.

Landshark
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:32:12 pm »

I guess they like to pump fists in New York.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:37:51 pm »

Has Sparano been fired? I've heard conflicting reports where some said that he has been and others just say that it's expected but it hasn't happened yet. Which is it?

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:06:45 pm »

I guess it hasn't happened yet, but at the end of the year, ESPN was reporting that the decision had been made.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8792986/new-york-jets-fire-tony-sparano-sources

Now it looks like there is some talk that he may come back.  I find that very hard to believe.
http://nesn.com/2013/01/report-tony-sparano-could-return-to-jets-after-coaching-no-30-ranked-offense/

Dave Wannstedt was officially let go, along with the complete Bills coaching staff
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/69511/gaileys-entire-staff-also-fired-in-buffalo

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:12:29 pm »

^^That first link by ESPN suggested that perhaps Tannenbaum would remain and Sparano would be fired. Now that Tannenbaum is definately fired, perhaps they left Sparano's fate up to the new GM?

bsfins
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:39:20 pm »

I was trying to find out the exact date Tony was hired....Tebow was traded for on March 21st....

I thought Sparano was "the Running game" coordinator or some other B.S. title when he was hired initially,and someone else was supposed to be for the Passing game...(I don't keep up with Jets news  Cheesy )..I thought he got hired initially,to show Rex,how to keep a locker room while the team is losing.Then they got Tebow, and I thought ...Oh..they got him so they could make Tebow a better Wildcat guy....
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 02:18:25 pm »

Sparano is terrible. He was a terrible head coach who got lucky Chad Pennington fell in his lap in 2008. The Jets right now are as bad a mismanaged run organization as I have ever seen in all of professional sports
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:29:31 pm »

Jets front office already talking to Norv Turner about being the offensive coordinator.  Oh but they haven't "technically" fired Sparano yet.

Sound familiar?!? lol
Landshark
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 08:37:56 pm »

Jets front office already talking to Norv Turner about being the offensive coordinator.  Oh but they haven't "technically" fired Sparano yet.

Sound familiar?!? lol

What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall when Norv Turner rejects the offer.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:25:48 pm »

When he started the Wildcat, it was good because they actually had Ronnie Brown and others throw the ball. After the first year, it just became a QB draw everytime. Same thing with Tebow this year, it was almost always a draw.

I think my perfect team would have Norv Turner as OC and Wade Phillips as DC. Two guys who have proven forever that they can't be head coaches but are great coordinators.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 08:10:58 pm »

When he started the Wildcat, it was good because they actually had Ronnie Brown and others throw the ball. After the first year, it just became a QB draw everytime. Same thing with Tebow this year, it was almost always a draw.

I think my perfect team would have Norv Turner as OC and Wade Phillips as DC. Two guys who have proven forever that they can't be head coaches but are great coordinators.
Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised to see Norv in New York.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 02:24:15 am »

The problem with the wildcat in NY is that they don't have someone to get to the edge like Ricky Williams could. Part of the reason it was successfull for the Dolphins was because you had 2 threats to run the ball, Williams around the end or Brown up the middle or to the other side, you had to defend the whole field. I haven't really watched the Jets, but I didn't think they really have anyone who can get around the end which makes defending the middle much easier. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:32:47 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 02:54:25 am »

The Wildcat worked because of Ricky.  Very few teams have a former league-leading rusher as their number two.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray