Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:23:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Michael Egnew
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Michael Egnew  (Read 2577 times)
Landshark
« on: January 11, 2013, 10:03:17 am »

I've talked to two players the past three weeks that told me they don't see Egnew, a rookie last year, making it out of training camp next year.

"He should have been cut this year," one told me.

That doesn't account for Egnew learning to block and learning his assignments better and getting stronger and faster this offseason. But another player I spoke with said none of that will ultimately matter with the former third round draft pick.

"He's a p---y," the second player said. "He's not a football player."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/01/growing-consensus-egnew-wont-make-it.html

This is pretty harsh, but it also doesn't look favorably on Ireland either.  After reading this, I was like, "Wow."  I didn't realize Egnew was that far behind the learning curve and that unprepared for NFL life.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:24:17 am by Brian Fein » Logged
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:37:24 am »

Honestly, how could you not see this coming? He recorded zero stats this year if I'm not mistaken, at a position Miami needs help at. -EK
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:46:26 am »

He looked terrible on Hard Knocks, for whatever that's worth.  He was just lost and seemed to have no instinct.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:56:54 am »

Missouri TE's are always "projects" because of the style they play in college.  Always a risk drafting Missouri TE's. All have been busts in recent years. Willing to give Egnew one more training camp of course but the light bulb better go off!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 11:20:22 am »

Egnew is the guy that has talent catching balls.  He did it in college.  But MikeO is right.  He was always split out wide or in the slot.  They never really used him on the end of the line.  I'm wondering if moving him to WR would be better for him, but I don't think he has enough speed for that. 

Its unfortunate.  You take a chance on a guy with talent who can catch balls over the middle and hope you can teach him how to block.  He needs to do his part too, but sounds like he's not getting it.

And, although Landshark wants to blame Ireland for this (and everything else), you have to lok at the logic.  Most times its easy to teach a guy how to block.  Not as easy to teach a guy great hands.
Landshark
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:45:20 pm »

And, although Landshark wants to blame Ireland for this (and everything else), you have to lok at the logic.  Most times its easy to teach a guy how to block.  Not as easy to teach a guy great hands.

I'm holding off on the fire Ireland comments this time around.  But you have to admit he has made some pretty serious mistakes in picking players.  This is one of the most glaring.  I have to wonder what Ireland was thinking when he drafted this guy??
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:48:56 pm »

I wondered that about several recent picks. Egnew, Cunningham, Martin, Miller, RT, moving UP to take Thomas when QB was a glaring need and Mallett was available. -EK
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 02:17:27 pm »

Every team has draft hits and misses.  EVERY one.  I disagree with you, EK, on most of your assessments.

Cunningham - watch his college highlight reel.  He was a late-round flyer to try to find a diamond to address the hole at WR.
Martin - is working out.  Where's the beef?
Miller - might be your starting RB next season.  Good speed, good pick.
Tannehill - Not going to start again, but you're the ONLY one that hates him.
Thomas - good power runner, not all-pro level but a solid back.  Not sure about moving up, but maybe he knew someone in front that wanted him. Go get your guy.

I can see reason for every pick.  Whether they work out or not is predicting the future.  Its up to the coaching staff to turn these blank canvases into masterpieces and play to the strengths of his players.  Until this year, I didn't think our coaching staff was flexible enough to be capable of that.  In some ways, maybe they still aren't.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 02:47:21 pm »

Miller is hardly "working out." He got benched early on for not being able to keep up with the offense when audibles were called, and didn't exactly work his way back to significant playing time. When they drafted him, they had 4 or 5 RBs already on the roster- which is my point with most of those picks. There were bigger holes to fill and more talented players available when those guys were drafted, IMO. -EK
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:57:16 pm »

I said Martin was "working out" but let's not address anything directly.

When you're in a draft, sometimes you take the guy you want when he's available.  If you want to come home with a RB, and he's the last guy on the board that you like, and will be gone by your next pick - you take him.  Neither you nor any other Dolphins fan knows the draft strategy these guys went in with, and to say "so and so was available" doesn't account for the entire draft strategy.  Not sure what you want from the guy.  People just want to hate on Ireland.  Fact is that he's one of the league's best talent evaluators, and the uneducated fans just want someone to blame.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:00:27 pm by Brian Fein » Logged
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 03:04:01 pm »

I'm not hating on anyone. I'm just being honest. Miami has had some pretty shitty drafts under him. How many "great" players has he drafted with Miami having numerous top 10 picks during his regime? -EK
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 03:08:32 pm »

I don't think that's fair.  Numerous top 10 picks?  Let's see...

Since Ireland was hired - exactly 2: Jake Long (1) and Tannehill (8 ) - And Long was really Parcells' pick.

Other picks since then: 25, 28, and 15

Facts, please.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 04:06:04 pm »

That's my mistake- somehow I remembered Ginn as being drafted by Ireland. Either way, I don't think that he's truly had what I would call a successful draft. I can't look at his picks with confidence while Julio Jones and Matt Ryan go to the same team. Likewise with Flacco, Oher, and Rice to Baltimore. While he's drafting and then ultimately trading away Davis, Detroit is pickin up Suh and Stafford. Ditto Dalton and Green. What is it that so many other team can consistently get right in the draft that he keeps whiffing on? -EK
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 04:16:16 pm »

While he's drafting and then ultimately trading away Davis, Detroit is pickin up Suh and Stafford. Ditto Dalton and Green. What is it that so many other team can consistently get right in the draft that he keeps whiffing on? -EK

Stafford went #1 overall. Suh went #2 overall. AJ Green went 4th overall. ALL THREE of those players were off the board when Ireland was selecting guys in those rounds. Now Ireland "passed" on them too? lol lol
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 04:16:27 pm »

Miller is hardly "working out." He got benched early on for not being able to keep up with the offense when audibles were called.
Not really much of a surprise from a rookie though.

, and didn't exactly work his way back to significant playing time.
He got 10 carries against Buffalo in the 2nd to last game and outgained Bush in yardage. He had 5 more carries against NE when Miami only had 13 carries total. He was pretty much splitting time with Bush by that time and he looked pretty good, on par if not better than Bush. I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller starting next year and Bush backing him up if Bush is still with Miami.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray