Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:59:21 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 86575 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:04 pm »

^^ I was thinking that as well.  Retrofitting a 25-30 year old building to compete with, say, Cowboys Stadium or even Marlins Park is a futile effort.
srt8

Email
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 06:00:49 pm »

^^ I was thinking that as well.  Retrofitting a 25-30 year old building to compete with, say, Cowboys Stadium or even Marlins Park is a futile effort.

Especially when you're spending a third of what a new one would cost just to do the retrofit and upgrade. I would rather spend $20K on a new car than spend $7k replacing an engine on a 7 year old car. Just to have to turn around and spend more on something else in a few years. Turns into a money pit after a while

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 06:06:24 pm »

Considering they just did a multi-million-dollar stadium upgrade a few years ago, I wonder what realistic lifespan they expect to get out of this stadium after the proposed upgrades?  Surely they don't expect to get another 25 years out of that building - upgrades or not...

I just wonder if its smart use of funds, or if it is more worthwhile to demo the joint and rebuild from scratch.
srt8

Email
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 07:21:48 pm »

Considering they just did a multi-million-dollar stadium upgrade a few years ago, I wonder what realistic lifespan they expect to get out of this stadium after the proposed upgrades?  Surely they don't expect to get another 25 years out of that building - upgrades or not...

I just wonder if its smart use of funds, or if it is more worthwhile to demo the joint and rebuild from scratch.

If possible I wouldn't scrap Joe Robbie. Maybe try to get some revenue out of it somehow. Then I would rebuild something state of the art, similar to what Dallas has with a Miami twist, on a new site in a better area. Ross wants to create excitement, that would do it. Then they would be set for 15-20 years. Should be able to host quite a few SBs at that point. Getting there and winning is an entirely different proposition though

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 09:13:43 am »

on a new site in a better area.
I hear this all the time and I don't get it. This stadium is in a perfect place. Not far from the airport and the interstate system dumps you right off into the parking lot.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 09:16:56 am »

I think for the Dolphins, the stadium is actually in a pretty good spot.  It's pretty accessible from Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade.  (Marlins park is another story).  Also, you can access the stadium from either I-95 or the turnpike, as well as from out West.

I'm not opposed to retrofitting to save money.  However, I think that you might have to do a little more than is being suggested here.  Pull out the lower bowl and put in a new one.  Only bringing the sides closer, without fixing the endzones to match the grade is very odd.  I do like the idea of the covering and eliminating the upper corners, though.

I drink your milkshake!
Landshark
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 09:28:47 am »

How long do stadiums usually last?  Fenway Park has been around forever.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 09:45:03 am »

I don't think it's reasonable to try and be perpetually state of the art.  You need to build things that are a good foundation and don't become outdated right away.  If you want to make a pass at some upgrades here and there -- great.

But this change looks pretty substantial, but I don't think it's a big enough change to warrant the cost.  If we're spending 400 mil, I want it to be a perfect solution.

I drink your milkshake!
Landshark
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 10:01:03 am »

I don't think it's reasonable to try and be perpetually state of the art.  You need to build things that are a good foundation and don't become outdated right away.  If you want to make a pass at some upgrades here and there -- great.

But this change looks pretty substantial, but I don't think it's a big enough change to warrant the cost.  If we're spending 400 mil, I want it to be a perfect solution.

I agree there.  It cost Jerry Jones $1.2 billion to build Cowboys stadium, so $400 million should be enough to give a nice facelift to an already existing facility that is less than 30 years old.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 10:06:01 am »

Dave, the end zones are already right on the stands.  Not sure why you keep saying "tear out the lower bowl" because they are basically doing that.  To do what you're expecting would raise the end zones farther from the field, and that's counter-productive.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 10:30:28 am »

Dave, the end zones are already right on the stands.  Not sure why you keep saying "tear out the lower bowl" because they are basically doing that.  To do what you're expecting would raise the end zones farther from the field, and that's counter-productive.

I don't think you need to add more rows to the endzone.  But you need to match the "grade" with the sidelines.  Because they're only adjusting the sides and not the endzones, they're having to remove pieces of the lower-corner, making these strange triangles and hallways. 

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 10:33:15 am »

Interesting, too, that club level seats appear to be gone from the sidelines.  I didn't notice that before.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 11:17:42 am »

I don't think you need to add more rows to the endzone.  But you need to match the "grade" with the sidelines.  Because they're only adjusting the sides and not the endzones, they're having to remove pieces of the lower-corner, making these strange triangles and hallways. 
Problem is if you match the grade, you are essentially raising the first row (or all rows) about 10 feet higher in the air.  Now, the end zone seats will be about 20 feet above the ground level.  It'd make them farther from the field and more detached.  Personally, I think the extended grade is worse for being able to see past tall people sitting in front of you, and would make the end zone seats more attractive to me just to have the steeper incline.

I think you just need to treat the corners appropriately so there are no blind spots, but I don't see a problem with the different angle between the end zones and the sidelines.

Interesting, too, that club level seats appear to be gone from the sidelines.  I didn't notice that before.
This is because they are using that 10-foot drop-off to fill with concrete to extend the lower bowl toward the sidelines.  They are essentially raising the floor to re-grade the lower sidelines.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:19:24 am by Brian Fein » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 11:20:04 am »

I agree there.  It cost Jerry Jones $1.2 billion to build Cowboys stadium, so $400 million should be enough to give a nice facelift to an already existing facility that is less than 30 years old.
According to Wikipedia it was $1.3 billion and that was 2009 which roughly translates to $1.4 billion now. That's roughly 3 and half times as much money. I know $400 million sounds like a lot of money, but it's a heck of a lot less than a new stadium would cost. Plus it would be completed a whole lot sooner as it's going to take 3 or 4 years to build a new stadium. If those artist renderings are anything close to the actual finished product, I think it would be well worth the $400 million especially if half of that is coming out of Ross' pocket.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:28:38 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
bsfins
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 12:25:21 pm »

Excuse my rant...(It's no Jtex rant....No one can replace Jtex's rants)

The stadium,and the logo changes get my panties in wad....

Rich business people begging for money to make themselves richer,and continuing to shit on the Dolphins fans... Cry

It's an 1987 Chevy plain jane pickup of a stadium...

(To frame my reference for those who don't know,from 1973-1987 the body style of the Chevy pick up was aesthetically the same, (few tweaks,headlights,grills,turn signals..There were subtle differences..) Our Stadium came from the end of an era of generic,Bland,Multi-use stadiums,cookie cutter stadiums...

It's not old,and uniquely the Home of the Miami Dolphins...Like Fenway is to the Boston Redsox,Wrigley Field to the Cubs,Soldiers Field to the Bears,Lambeau Field is to the Packers

It's not a '63 stingray,It's not a '57 Chevy Bel air,It's not a '53 Chevy pick up....

We're putting lot's of money into a 1987 Chevy Pick up,that's still the plain Jane 1987 Chevy Pickup....

For me,I don't live in Florida, I'm not paying for it...Directly...So for me it's more about being a Dolphins fan...wanting it to be the Home of the Dolphins...Rather than it continue it being that Bland,Generic,Multi use stadium.Another 20 years (It might be underwater from Global warming for all I know Cheesy),we could be stuck with it,because it's been around for so long...it becomes a classic...Just because it's old,it shouldn't make it classic...

Here's a chance to make it the Home of the Dolphins,and like their Front office moves,player moves,and most moves over the past 20 years...They kick the can, Drop the ball...Half ass it

End Rant...

Pardon the interruption
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray