Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:21:25 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 87463 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2013, 03:20:51 pm »

Doesn't surprise me one bit and I'd be willing to bet that the Dolphins are FAR from the only team like this.

possible

In fact I would go so far as to say that I suspect this is pretty much true of most of the teams in the league.

doubtful.  If that was true the owners would have opened the books during the CBA negotiations. 

It is also possible, the Dolphins are in the worst shape of any NFL team and that is why they are opening their books, while the rest keep them closed.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2013, 07:14:00 pm »

The problem with any theories about which cities are and are not getting a team is that the 32-team configuration is just too perfect for the NFL.  The scheduling, in particular, works out like a charm.  Adding anything less than 4 teams would be a logistical nightmare.

Landshark
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2013, 07:29:34 pm »

The problem with any theories about which cities are and are not getting a team is that the 32-team configuration is just too perfect for the NFL.  The scheduling, in particular, works out like a charm.  Adding anything less than 4 teams would be a logistical nightmare.

Then I guess the only way to solve this problem is to add eight teams (one to each division) and expand the regular season to 20 games with the same schedule rotation.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »

You can redo the schedule by adding two teams to each conference and going back to 3 (six-team) divisions per conference.  (edit: math was messed up)  Each team plays 5 division games (rotating home and away yearly), all the teams in one intraconference division, all the teams in one interconference division, and the same-place team from the remaining intraconference division, which puts you at 18 games.

But no matter how you slice it, in order to maintain the current paradigm where every team is guaranteed to play every other team at least once every 4 years (on a consistent and predictable schedule), you have to add at least 2 teams per conference.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:43:29 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2013, 11:39:22 pm »

IF the NFL adds teams they will be 2 teams overseas. But I don't see teams being added anytime soon. When you have 3 dying franchises currently in Jax, Miami, and SD. Teams will be sold and moved before the NFL starts adding more franchises.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2013, 12:50:13 pm »

doubtful.  If that was true the owners would have opened the books during the CBA negotiations. 
I don't know. It's possible they don't want anyone to know that's it's NOT the American dream to own an NFL football team that everyone thinks it is.

It is also possible, the Dolphins are in the worst shape of any NFL team and that is why they are opening their books, while the rest keep them closed.
It's possible, but I doubt it. I'm certain there are teams that are even worse off than the Dolphins when it comes to stadiums, team value, merchandising, fan experience etc. Miami isn't near the top whenever ESPN does their rankings of the franchises, but they aren't near the bottom either.

Edit: Well I guess I was wrong about that. 2012 Team Rankings Wow, I think that's as low as I have ever seen the Dolphins. Maybe it is possible.

Edit2: After comparing where Miami was only 2 years ago (14 out of 32 teams in the NFL), I have to wonder about these rankings. If you can go from top half of the league to 2nd to last in 2 years, seems like these rankings are VERY subjective. Franchise value just doesn't change that much in 2 years. So if Miami wins a playoff game this year, they go to what top half again? That's silly. Obviously Miami was ranked too high in September of 2010 due in large part to the success they had in 2009 and too low in September of 2012 due in large part to everyone expecting them to win like 3 games. The reality is the Dolphins weren't much different in 2012 then they were in 2010, perception is the only thing that has changed.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 01:13:43 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2013, 02:03:01 pm »

I don't know. It's possible they don't want anyone to know that's it's NOT the American dream to own an NFL football team that everyone thinks it is.
It's possible, but I doubt it. I'm certain there are teams that are even worse off than the Dolphins when it comes to stadiums, team value, merchandising, fan experience etc. Miami isn't near the top whenever ESPN does their rankings of the franchises, but they aren't near the bottom either.

Edit: Well I guess I was wrong about that. 2012 Team Rankings Wow, I think that's as low as I have ever seen the Dolphins. Maybe it is possible.

Edit2: After comparing where Miami was only 2 years ago (14 out of 32 teams in the NFL), I have to wonder about these rankings. If you can go from top half of the league to 2nd to last in 2 years, seems like these rankings are VERY subjective. Franchise value just doesn't change that much in 2 years. So if Miami wins a playoff game this year, they go to what top half again? That's silly. Obviously Miami was ranked too high in September of 2010 due in large part to the success they had in 2009 and too low in September of 2012 due in large part to everyone expecting them to win like 3 games. The reality is the Dolphins weren't much different in 2012 then they were in 2010, perception is the only thing that has changed.

The ESPN ranking are irrelevant to the question of whether or not the Dolphins are among the worst or best in terms of PROFITABILITY.  ESPN gives a high rank for affordability.  Odds are the stadiums that are the least affordable for fans could be the most profitable.  An owner makes more money selling tickets for $250 and beer for $8 than he does selling tickets for $40 and beer for $5.

Teams in which the owner must buy tickets to avoid a TV blackout are undoubtedly less profitable than teams that have a waiting list for tickets. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2013, 05:15:14 pm »

Please don't take that ESPN ranking as meaning that much.

Here is the profile for the #16 ranked NFL team in that link, the Buffalo Bills:

"How does a franchise that wrapped up its seventh straight losing season rocket 48 spots in our rankings? Well, the year's first half was juicier than beef on kummelweck: a 41-7 opening victory in Arrowhead Stadium over Kansas City, an 18-point comeback against the Raiders and a 23-0, 10-sack blitzkrieg of the Skins in Toronto. The first-half highlight came in Week 3 against New England, which Buffalo had lost to 15 straight times -- the third-longest streak in NFL history. The Bills picked off Tom Brady four times, matching his total interceptions in 2010, and overcame a 21-0 deficit to win in the final seconds, leading nine-year Bills D-lineman Chris Kelsay to call the game "the biggest win of my career." Then again, he has slim pickings to choose from. With Detroit making the playoffs last season, the Bills are the only NFL team lacking a postseason appearance this millennium. No wonder the average ticket price at Ralph Wilson Stadium is $59.19, compared to $120.85 at MetLife Stadium (Jets/Giants) and $117.84 at Gillette Stadium (Patriots). The best news in Buffalo is that it's looking less likely that the Bills will bolt for the border. It turns out that Ontario's liquor laws would put a serious kibosh on the team's trademark tailgate experience. Instead, there's talk of a $200 million renovation of Ralph, built in 1973. It isn't the playoffs, but it's a reason to fire up the grill."

That's right: losing 15 straight games to NE before winning one, combined with wins against KC, OAK, and WSH, were enough to rocket BUF up the charts.  And just for posterity's sake: teams rated below the mighty Bills (#59) in that same ranking included the Yankees (#82), the Cowboys (#86), and the Lakers (#89).

Take that ranking with a planet-sized chunk of salt.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2013, 05:36:57 pm »

The ESPN ranking are irrelevant to the question of whether or not the Dolphins are among the worst or best in terms of PROFITABILITY.
Yeah, I understand that, but I guess I just assumed that a little more effort went into the rankings then, "Well I thought they did ok last year." The following is a quote from ESPN explaining their rankings.

"The result is the 2012 Ultimate Standings, the only ranking that combines fan perspective on team performance with an objective measure of how well teams turn revenue into wins."

Seems this ranking is pretty heavily influenced by fan perspective and is pretty light on the objective measure if you ask me. I expected more from ESPN.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:54:57 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2013, 06:25:18 pm »

That's right: losing 15 straight games to NE before winning one, combined with wins against KC, OAK, and WSH, were enough to rocket BUF up the charts.  And just for posterity's sake: teams rated below the mighty Bills (#59) in that same ranking included the Yankees (#82), the Cowboys (#86), and the Lakers (#89).

Take that ranking with a planet-sized chunk of salt.

Oh my god having the Bills ranked higher than the Yankees and Lakers is laughable.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2013, 07:55:15 pm »

http://gamedayr.com/gamedayr/new-atlanta-falcons-stadium-design-renderings/

What the Falcons want to build to replace the Georgia Dome! WOW!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2013, 03:38:19 pm »

The Bill died today in the state House. The May 14th vote is new cancelled. No new Dolphins stadium.No more Super Bowls in Miami. No National championship games in the stadium anymore. A franchise that is losing money as the Fins are just might have taken the death blow!!!

LA Dolphins in a few years? Totally see it happening. Vikings got their new stadium. Bills signed a new lease. Jax is locked up for a long time with their iron clad lease. They are all not going anywhere.

Miami and SD are prime "move" candidates with the California people wanting to bring ANOTHER team to the state instead of moving teams inside the state.

This is a BAD day for this franchise
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:43:52 pm by MikeO » Logged
Stinger24

« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2013, 05:59:59 pm »

The bill is not dead there are more stadiums than just miami's being discussed.  But the Dolphins are the only ones wanting local tax money that is the problem. There will be a vote in Miami Dade on May 14th to let voters have their say. Also the house just wants the bill cleaned up its not dead it has not even been taken up by them yet. Overreact much?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2013, 06:54:23 pm »

The bill is not dead there are more stadiums than just miami's being discussed.  But the Dolphins are the only ones wanting local tax money that is the problem. There will be a vote in Miami Dade on May 14th to let voters have their say. Also the house just wants the bill cleaned up its not dead it has not even been taken up by them yet. Overreact much?

No its dead!!! The May 14th vote is now CANCELLED! Today was the last day and they didn't take it up. It's over!!

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/03/3379238/lawmakers-reject-dolphins-stadium.html

https://twitter.com/DeFede/status/330456143845548033

https://twitter.com/SuttaCBSMiami/status/330338840357249025
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 07:18:54 pm by MikeO » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2013, 10:05:47 pm »

I'm really disappointed in our elected officials.  Its their job to represent the people, and they didn't even let the people give their opinion.

This is a really sad day.  I hope they don't give up on this and try to raise the funding some other way.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray