Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:15:51 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  A stadium upgrade deal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: A stadium upgrade deal?  (Read 86632 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2013, 11:54:58 am »

Or maybe it is that someone who represents the taxpayers of Tampa doesn't believe that the taxpayers of Tampa should fund a stadium in Miami. 

you haven't read up on this situation and don't know the details. You have it 100% wrong. Nobody in Tampa would have to pay anything with this deal
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2013, 12:16:10 pm »

While this is definately a blow to Miami's SB chances, I don't think the Dolphins are going anywhere. Miami has been on a downswing for a long time, but my gut is telling me they are currently on an upswing. All Miami needs is one good playoff run to turn things around and I'm hopeful that's not too far off.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2013, 12:53:47 pm »

Yeah, it is strange that a county tax was decided at the state level.

That is because there was more to it than just that. There was also a portion that dealt with the Dolphins (and other sports franchises) gaining sales tax rebates.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2013, 12:53:59 pm »

While this is definately a blow to Miami's SB chances, I don't think the Dolphins are going anywhere. Miami has been on a downswing for a long time, but my gut is telling me they are currently on an upswing. All Miami needs is one good playoff run to turn things around and I'm hopeful that's not too far off.

this has nothing to do with winning games or losing games. This is about revenue streams coming into the stadium and the franchise. Miami could go 14-2 and win the super bowl and it wouldn't change any of this stuff that is going on. Selling out 8 home games is a drop in the bucket of this teams financial issues.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2013, 01:53:12 pm »

this has nothing to do with winning games or losing games. This is about revenue streams coming into the stadium and the franchise.
You don't think winning games will effect revenue?

Miami could go 14-2 and win the super bowl and it wouldn't change any of this stuff that is going on. Selling out 8 home games is a drop in the bucket of this teams financial issues.
It's not just selling out the games, it's the merchandising boost it would create, plus concessions etc. On top of that they would probably be able to raise ticket prices, concession prices etc. Would probably help make getting a vote a little easier as well. I think you underestimate what a 14-2 season and a SB win would do for the team.

Now it wouldn't fix everything, I'm not suggesting it would, but I think it would keep the Dolphins in Miami.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2013, 02:01:35 pm »

Winning games would absolutely affect revenue.  Although, they claim that all those home games with all those orange seats are "sell outs."  I think they might need to let a game or 2 get blacked out locally in order to get people to come out.  I'd reconsider buying tickets if I thought that was the only way I could watch the game.  But, since I can watch on TV, I have no interest in buying tickets right now.

Besides, we all know that winning breeds loyalty.  Fans in south Florida only show up when you win.  Is it funny how, last season, you couldn't get a ticket to the Florida Panthers because they were in the playoffs, but this season they couldn't GIVE tickets away fast enough? 

This is the same fan base.

The same fan base that would pack Marlins Park to the rafters if the Marlins went to the postseason.  The same fan base that came dressed as empty seats at Heat games 4 years ago.

Its not a coincidence.  10 years ago, the stadium was full.  Now, its not.  The difference is that 10 years ago, the Dolphins had a winning tradition, were always in the hunt, and were competitive.  Now, they lose every game and no one has fun.  So why spend the money?

Every head in the stadium is more than a ticket price.  Its a hot dog and a beer.  Its 1/2 to 1/4 of parking.  Its an $11 Coke or a $25 t-shirt.  Revenue isn't just about selling tickets.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:28 pm »

Winning games would absolutely affect revenue. 

Not enough.  Even if you sold out every game, that's only 8 per year.  (Some of those would sell out anyway, or be bought up by TV rights.)  You gotta realize that the Marlins leaving cuts out a ton of revenue from renting out that stadium.  You have to supplement with other events to make up: soccer, concerts, bowl games, etc.  It's hard to do that without the upgrades.

I drink your milkshake!
dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2013, 02:45:50 pm »

threats of moving the dolphins are laughable...

the nfl isn't about moving a franchise in what is around the #8 media market (dade, broward, palm beach), to a market that is slightly bigger. that is like moving pieces of the total nfl television revenue around.

the bigger prize is in substantially GROWING the nfl revenue pie. that happens when you move a small market team to a large market, i.e. jacksonville, buffalo, minnesota to la.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2013, 02:48:03 pm »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9246386/miami-dolphins-pay-stadium-fixes-ceo-mike-dee

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but if it hasn't, I found it quite eye-opening.

I think it's interesting that Mr. Walker doesn't think SunLife Stadium is all that bad.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2013, 03:10:11 pm »

threats of moving the dolphins are laughable...

the nfl isn't about moving a franchise in what is around the #8 media market (dade, broward, palm beach), to a market that is slightly bigger. that is like moving pieces of the total nfl television revenue around.
The NFL "allowed" two teams to leave LA for STL and 50% of the Bay Area, so I'm not sure your position has a historical basis.

Keep in mind that in today's sports world, a championship-winning Seattle team (the only major championship-winning team in that city, mind you) can be moved to Oklahoma City fairly easily.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2013, 03:26:04 pm »

While not being a lie, you really sugar coated Seattle's history before their move. Calling Seattle a championship team is about like calling the Dolphins one as well.

Also you are comparing different sports. While they are both in major sports leagues,  think it is an unfair comparison. Three (I am going to exclude the Nets move) NBA teams (Sonics/Thunder, Grizzles, & Hornets) have moved in recent history while it has been since 1997 since the Oilers were the last team to relocate in the NFL. I think the cultures are too different to use it as a good comparison.

Also by saying "allow" are you including the fact the NFL barred the Oakland move to LA only to have it overturned in the courts?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:27:39 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2013, 03:48:33 pm »

Not enough.  Even if you sold out every game, that's only 8 per year.  (Some of those would sell out anyway, or be bought up by TV rights.)  You gotta realize that the Marlins leaving cuts out a ton of revenue from renting out that stadium.  You have to supplement with other events to make up: soccer, concerts, bowl games, etc.  It's hard to do that without the upgrades.
According to the following Miami was 29th in attendance with only 76% of stadium capacity at home games (by far the lowest number in the NFL). You don't think a 25% increase (or more) in ticket sales, concessions, merchendising etc for 8 games would make a difference? I respectfully disagree. That plus whatever Miami would get if they hosted a playoff game or 2 for example? Like I said, it wouldn't fix all the issues, but it sure would help.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2012
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:57:44 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:43 pm »

While not being a lie, you really sugar coated Seattle's history before their move. Calling Seattle a championship team is about like calling the Dolphins one as well.
That was the comparison I was specifically going for.

Also you are comparing different sports. While they are both in major sports leagues,  think it is an unfair comparison. Three (I am going to exclude the Nets move) NBA teams (Sonics/Thunder, Grizzles, & Hornets) have moved in recent history while it has been since 1997 since the Oilers were the last team to relocate in the NFL.
From 1995-1997, four NFL teams moved.  Meanwhile, at the same time, you would have had to go back to 1978 to find 4 examples of NBA teams moving.  It's just timing.

Also by saying "allow" are you including the fact the NFL barred the Oakland move to LA only to have it overturned in the courts?
More specifically, I'm saying that the NFL can't stop owners from moving, regardless of what they might think about market coverage.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2013, 03:51:12 pm »

Actually if you win a sufficient number of games you raise the number of games you play at your stadium from 8 to 10.  That increases revenue.

If you don't win and don't sell out the owner can only raise ticket prices slightly if at all from year to year.  If you win constantly and not only sell out but have a waiting list that is greater than stadium capacity the owner can raise ticket prices w/o risk of not selling out and raising revenue.

Winning improves revenue.  

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2013, 03:52:30 pm »

you haven't read up on this situation and don't know the details. You have it 100% wrong. Nobody in Tampa would have to pay anything with this deal

Yeah, I have not been following it very closely.  I stick to my original statement that I oppose tax funded stadiums -- consistently, regardless of sport or team. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray