Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:02:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Trayvon Martin case
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] Print
Poll
Question: Do you think Zimmerman is
Guilty   -5 (25%)
Not Guilty   -2 (10%)
Self Defense   -1 (5%)
You don't know enough to decide   -12 (60%)
Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Trayvon Martin case  (Read 148863 times)
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #675 on: December 04, 2012, 06:45:08 am »

I think once Zimmerman was told not to follow Martin, and continued to pursue him whatever happened to him was then his fault. Full stop. If he would have just called the authorities to report a prowler or whatever he thought Martin was doing in the 'hood and waited he would not have gotten his ass beat. Period.

I don't think Stand Your Ground laws are meant to cover getting your ass beat after you initiated violence. If so, Florida will officially be the wild, wild West.

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #676 on: December 04, 2012, 09:07:36 am »

Looks like someone who got into a fight. I have seen people beat up a lot worse in bar fights...of course no one ever shot the other guy for losing a fistfight where I lived, or any places I went too around the country.

You are lucky then. I'm not sure when it changed but in Florida it is very common to shoot before fighting. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #677 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:01 am »

Since when is following someone initiating violence? I admit I would have been defensive if I was Martin as well. This is the big gray area that will never get answered. Was Zimmerman just following Martin's path or did he try to impede him? Keeping an eye on someone is not initiating violence.

I really need to know more and I don't think I ever will. I am leaning to the position right now that Martin started the phyical part of the altercation. The actual beating Zimmerman took does not appear life threatening to me at all though. I think we have to look at what we know, that Zimmerman says Martin reached for his gun (not necessarily that it is a fact he did), and compare it with what we know about Zimmerman's & Martin's character to make a determination. Unfortunately this is not necessarily a fool proof plan so either way we risk the possibility of letting a murderer go or convicting an innocent man.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #678 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:20 pm »

I think once Zimmerman was told not to follow Martin, and continued to pursue him whatever happened to him was then his fault. Full stop. If he would have just called the authorities to report a prowler or whatever he thought Martin was doing in the 'hood and waited he would not have gotten his ass beat. Period.

I don't think Stand Your Ground laws are meant to cover getting your ass beat after you initiated violence. If so, Florida will officially be the wild, wild West.

Plus, he wasn't suppose to be carrying a gun.
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #679 on: December 04, 2012, 01:41:45 pm »

Looks like someone who got into a fight. I have seen people beat up a lot worse in bar fights...of course no one ever shot the other guy for losing a fistfight where I lived, or any places I went too around the country.

This wasn't a bar fight. Zimmerman says that he was attacked by Martin. I could be wrong, but I have seen no evidence to refute that. In fact, the evidence says otherwise.

Actually, it would be a self defense and not stand your ground that would cover it. Are ASSUMING that Zimmerman initiated physical contact ? Because if you know that as a fact, please provide the evidence. Otherwise please stop with your hypothetical analysis of the events that took place.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 01:44:36 pm by badger6 » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #680 on: December 04, 2012, 01:44:02 pm »

He has a concealed permit. He was completely in his right to carry a gun.
badger6
Uber Member

« Reply #681 on: December 04, 2012, 01:45:51 pm »

Who said that a law abiding citizen with a CCW isn't supposed to be carrying a firearm ? That's the whole point of a CCW.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #682 on: March 06, 2013, 10:15:54 am »

Bumping this along as it appears George Zimmerman's lawyers will not be seeking a Stand Your Ground immunity hearing. I personally am not too shicked by this. I don't think a judge would want to grant the immunity given how high profile this case is and that dispute of the stories on both sides.
Landshark
« Reply #683 on: March 06, 2013, 10:28:20 am »

Bumping this along as it appears George Zimmerman's lawyers will not be seeking a Stand Your Ground immunity hearing. I personally am not too shicked by this. I don't think a judge would want to grant the immunity given how high profile this case is and that dispute of the stories on both sides.

It would cost more time and money,  and the news is reporting his funds are low
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray