Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:09 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  (Renamed) Official new logo and uniforms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28 Print
Poll
Question: Now that the logo and uniforms are official:
I love them.  Vast improvement.   -3 (9.4%)
They are just as good as before.   -3 (9.4%)
I disliked them at first, but I'm coming around.   -9 (28.1%)
They suck and I hate them.   -17 (53.1%)
Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: (Renamed) Official new logo and uniforms  (Read 142195 times)
Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2013, 09:38:46 pm »

It's actually become a daily thing for me to log into the Dolphins Facebook page and read their "question of the day" type thing.  I just get laughs at how every single topic devolves into how the logo sucks and everyone refusing to buy merchandise.  I recommend it.  It's cathartic.  Today, it's a draft discussion, but a lot of the answers are like "it doesn't matter if they're going to wear that terrible logo."  Hahaha!

Ha! I do the same thing. Funny stuff. The Marlins page is more of the same (which I've actively participated in, too). Some of the stuff people come up with...LOL
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2013, 09:35:57 am »

The Facebook trolling is especially good today.  My favorite is one that says "If I buy that ugly hat, do I get a free bowl of soup?"

I drink your milkshake!
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2013, 12:22:19 pm »

Just a thought, If the merchandise for the new Dolphin logo does not sell well, will the top brass be force to change the logo?

What made the RAVENS change LOGO after 3 seasons?

I just like many here, Im not supporting the new design. I will stick with past & throwback items.

Why did they not  hold a poll of different logos for us Fans to chose from instead of keeping it a secret?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:26:18 pm by DZA » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2013, 12:25:33 pm »

Teams change logos all the time.  The problem is that they made the logo worse.  They de-modernized, and de-intensified, further disconnecting themselves from the fanbase after the "orange carpet" regime that everyone hates.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2013, 12:41:47 pm »

Teams change logos all the time.  The problem is that they made the logo worse.  They de-modernized, and de-intensified, further disconnecting themselves from the fanbase after the "orange carpet" regime that everyone hates.

I can understand the de-intensified point, but I'd be interested in hearing how you think this new logo de-modernized things...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2013, 12:43:51 pm »

As go Ireland/Philbin/Tannehill, so will go this logo.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2013, 01:33:49 pm »

As go Ireland/Philbin/Tannehill, so will go this logo.
Sadly that doesn't make the logo any better, just means that we won't be bitching about it sucking as bad as it does.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2013, 02:47:59 pm »

I doubt you can find many Patriot or Bronco fans who still think their new logo "sucks."

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2013, 04:03:08 pm »

I doubt you can find many Patriot or Bronco fans who still think their new logo "sucks."
So you're saying that getting used to it sucking is the same as it being good? I don't agree. I bet if I tried I could find Patriots or Bronco fans that still think the older logo was better. If it's just the term "sucks" that you object to, well that's just me. I think it sucks compared to the old logo. I'm sure in 5 years I won't think it sucks anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't think it sucks now and it's of little consolation to me now that I won't think it sucks in 5 years. It's also possible I am underestimating the suckitude of the logo and will still think it sucks in 5 years.  Evil
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 04:50:38 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2013, 04:58:00 pm »

I might  have been oblivious but I know both Broncos fans ans New England fans and I don't remember the uproar being anything close to this.  I think it's safe to say many of those outside of the Dolphins franchise even know of the disappointing logo.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2013, 05:51:30 pm »

True.

However, I counter that this is simply not the vocal minority who are upset with any change.  I think it's the vocal majority that are upset with this specific change.  I was excited when the new logo was announced.  Look at these boards -- most of us thought that some of the other designs looked bad-ass and were hopeful of something cool.  Of course, there were a few traditionalist who wanted it left alone and even fewer that wanted to go to the throwback, but for the most part, people were excited at the prospect of that one logo of the helmet-less dolphin that resembled our current logo.

This is nearly unanimously hated, both of social media (which is to be expected), on this website, which is usually split about all things, and in my day to day life -- all of my friends and co-workers and family hate it.

It's not that we dislike change.  We just dislike BAD change.

Also, I liked the Patriots logo WHEN THE CHANGE WAS MADE.  I remember thinking how much better the "flying Elvis" was than the weird football dude.  I felt the same way about the Broncos, the Seahawks, the Bucs, Eagles, Bengals, Cardinals.

And to Stroke, I say it is "less modern", because modern sports logos have moved towards "hard line" definition".  Our most recent logo has dark outlines, as does almost every other modern logo.   The old logos lack that "dark line" definition -- the 70s Dolphin logo did, as well as almost every logo during that era.  It is a step backwards in terms of artistic style.  Since about the 1980s, all logos in the NFL have evolved in this direction.  ...shit....even the 49ers update did this in the late 90s.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2013, 06:17:26 pm »

However, I counter that this is simply not the vocal minority who are upset with any change.  I think it's the vocal majority that are upset with this specific change.
In 1979, Patriots' brass allowed the fans to choose between the old Pat Patriot logo and this one:

You may notice that it bears more than a passing resemblance to the Flying Elvis head-attached-to-flag logo that NE currently uses.

So what was the result of the fan vote (measured by a decibel meter at halftime of a regular season Pats' home game)?  Well:

"The vote, predictably, was not close as Patriot Pat’s supporters 'knocked the needle right off the meter' while the new proposed logo barely registered a peep."

The lesson I take from that is that even if your logo looks amateurish and stupid, fans will angrily object to nearly any change.  I have no doubt in my mind that had the NE brass put the '94 logo to the same vote, it would have lost by similar margins.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2013, 06:27:09 pm »

^^And I completely agree with you Spider that change is almost never a popular thing. With many people almost any change will be initially disliked, no one is disputing that, but that DOESN'T make it true that just because it's initially disliked it, it's a good change. It could be a bad change that's initially disliked and will continue to be disliked even after the INITIAL dislike wears off. I think that's what most of us believe to be the case here. We've known for quite a while now that a change was coming. I think some of us here would have even embraced a change, I know I would have, but I do not like the new logo. It's not because it's different, it's because I don't like it. I don't like anything about it. If the logo introduced would have been the one that started the thread about the logo, I would have been on board 100% with it. I LIKED that. I LIKED that a LOT.

I like everything except that stupid stripe down the center of the helmet. Looks like a god damn mohawk.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:30:02 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2013, 06:45:05 pm »

http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2013/new-dolphins-shirts-now-available-online

shirts are now for sale with the new logo
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2013, 07:05:13 pm »

^^And I completely agree with you Spider that change is almost never a popular thing. With many people almost any change will be initially disliked, no one is disputing that, but that DOESN'T make it true that just because it's initially disliked it, it's a good change. It could be a bad change that's initially disliked and will continue to be disliked even after the INITIAL dislike wears off.
It's tough to know which scenario is the case when people will complain loudly either way.

If the logo introduced would have been the one that started the thread about the logo, I would have been on board 100% with it. I LIKED that. I LIKED that a LOT.
That logo was basically a photoshop of the old logo, so it was much more familiar.  Not many people objected to the '97 logo, either.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray