Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:48:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  "The NBA’s Jason Collins says he’s gay"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: "The NBA’s Jason Collins says he’s gay"  (Read 37692 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 04:19:25 pm »

In that homosexual  marriage is not universal permitted and continuing anti-gay sentiment through out the country, his coming out is a big deal.  
Why is that?  ... Is he getting married? The two things have nothing to do with the other. I can love my gay friends but not feel that homosexual marriage is a right because of my understanding and definition of marriage.  I love my dogs but would never consent to them marrying someone and no I'm not saying gays are the equivalent to dogs. I'm just saying I can feel one way about a certain person and still feel differently on another without hating them.

The fact people try and link anti-gay marriage stances with gay bashing hurts their cause more than it helps.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 04:54:34 pm »

Not supporting gay marriage is bigotry.  End of story.  You can say you love gays all you want, but you aren't treating them equally. 

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 05:09:36 pm »

It's almost like people can't have opinions anymore in this country. Whether Wallace likes gays, dislikes gays, or is indifferent to gays. Why do people care so much? It's only one persons perspective.

You can have an opinion.  But then, I can also have an opinion about you.  And when your job depends on me being your fan, don't go on a public forum and say stupid shit that embarrasses your fanbase and forces your employer to apologize for you.

I drink your milkshake!
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 08:59:00 pm »

It's almost like people can't have opinions anymore in this country. Whether Wallace likes gays, dislikes gays, or is indifferent to gays. Why do people care so much? It's only one persons perspective. The thing I don't understand is why people that live that lifestyle feel the need to advertize it to the world. Seems to me that it's more for attention than anything else. If you don't want someone to criticize or disagree with your life choices, don't tell the whole world your personal business .

No one would know who Wallace was if he were not an athlete. Because of his status, his thoughts and opinions reach more people than some asshole postulating on a random internet site somewhere.
Celebrities and athletes know they have a captive audience to speak to.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »

I don't think Wallace is a bad guy.  He realized pretty quickly that he made an error, backpeddaling within minutes and then outright apologizing shortly thereafter (perhaps from involvement from the team.)  But this is big issue for people.  People are mistreated because of intolerance, so you can't just take it lightly.  His statements come across as flippant, as if people choose this difficult life when they could just have beautiful women, instead.  Having dealt with people in my family who have gone through terrible things because of being gay, Wallace taking a really proud moment for that movement and diminishing it really rubbed me the wrong way.

However, I am very pleased, overall, with the response.  Many athletes earned my respect with their outspoken support for bravery.  The league, as well.  If anything, I think it's a big deal how small of a deal it is.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 11:50:50 pm »

The thing I don't understand is why people that live that lifestyle feel the need to advertize it to the world. Seems to me that it's more for attention than anything else. If you don't want someone to criticize or disagree with your life choices, don't tell the whole world your personal business .
I couldn't agree more.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:53:38 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 12:27:48 am »

Why is that?  ... Is he getting married? The two things have nothing to do with the other. I can love my gay friends but not feel that homosexual marriage is a right because of my understanding and definition of marriage.  I love my dogs but would never consent to them marrying someone and no I'm not saying gays are the equivalent to dogs. I'm just saying I can feel one way about a certain person and still feel differently on another without hating them.

The fact people try and link anti-gay marriage stances with gay bashing hurts their cause more than it helps.

No.  It just reveals who the bigots are.  It's basic, inalienable human rights pure and simple.  And making any equation, whatsoever, between dogs and humans does not help your case in any way.  It just makes you look REALLY, REALLY horrible or, at the very least, completely unable to understand the basic concepts that this nation was founded on.  Homosexuals only want the same rights as you and your spouse.  That's it.  It is literally un-American to believe otherwise.  There really is no grey area on this one, and opponents of equal rights are no different than those who opposed segregation of schools or interracial marriage.  This may actually be the simplest and easiest rights battle in the last 50 years...as long as you actually believe in the tenants on which this nation was founded.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 12:34:23 am »

It's the same song and dance as it always is.  The religious fundamentalists reach for their holy book to try to prevent equality.

I think this video sums it up perfectly.  (Watch the whole video to understand.)

bsfins
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 01:55:26 am »

Yep,That video is from here where I live,not too far from my house...unfortunately...The ordinance got tabled,then pushed back,then forced into a "taskforce".The taskforce handpicked by city council,filled with their shills that will give them the result they want.Our city is known for doing this with everything...We want to raise taxes,we'll form a taskforce to see what they think...Yep they said raise taxes is our only option...

http://www.ky3.com/news/ky3-committee-makes-choices-for-panel-to-discuss-springfield-discrimination-ordinance-20121210,0,7682219.story

They have till June 30th to submit a report,to discuss how to move forward with the issue...

Sorry,for the mini rant....

I was happy to hear an athlete in one of the major sports came out saying he was gay, pleasantly surprised...I have no clue who he is,but I applaud him for doing it...
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 07:04:58 am »

No.  It just reveals who the bigots are.  It's basic, inalienable human rights pure and simple.  And making any equation, whatsoever, between dogs and humans does not help your case in any way.  It just makes you look REALLY, REALLY horrible or, at the very least, completely unable to understand the basic concepts that this nation was founded on.  Homosexuals only want the same rights as you and your spouse.  That's it.  It is literally un-American to believe otherwise.  There really is no grey area on this one, and opponents of equal rights are no different than those who opposed segregation of schools or interracial marriage.  This may actually be the simplest and easiest rights battle in the last 50 years...as long as you actually believe in the tenants on which this nation was founded.
and that my kind sir is why nothing will change or at best, be do resistant to change.  The first line out of your mouth is name calling and gets worse from there which will put anyone on the defensive. I guess I should return the compliment by calling you a faggot loving douche and see how well you listen to anything I have to say.

If people were actually concerned about changing anything or anyone they don't start by name calling and pointing out differences. It starts at where people agree and work from there.  Even in the military it started by proving they were already there and it wasn't a big deal. They are just like everyone else etc. it wasn't I'm a flamer and you will be forced to watch me "fill in the blank" because this is America and I can do whatever I like."

By the way that's the first time ever I've heard "freedom of homosexuality" as a reason for us fighting for independence. I guess we fought for equal rights for women and blacks too and the next 200 years didn't happen?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 09:52:47 am »

and that my kind sir is why nothing will change or at best, be do resistant to change.  The first line out of your mouth is name calling and gets worse from there which will put anyone on the defensive. I guess I should return the compliment by calling you a faggot loving douche and see how well you listen to anything I have to say.

If people were actually concerned about changing anything or anyone they don't start by name calling and pointing out differences. It starts at where people agree and work from there.  Even in the military it started by proving they were already there and it wasn't a big deal. They are just like everyone else etc. it wasn't I'm a flamer and you will be forced to watch me "fill in the blank" because this is America and I can do whatever I like."

By the way that's the first time ever I've heard "freedom of homosexuality" as a reason for us fighting for independence. I guess we fought for equal rights for women and blacks too and the next 200 years didn't happen?

I have to agree with Dave, opposing equal rights because of an inherent trait is a bigoted stance. Just because your chosen religion dictates that stance, doesn't make it less so. It's exactly the same as opposing interracial marriage and then getting offended at being called a racist.

The "you hurt my feelings by calling me a bad name, so i'm going to be even more bigoted just out of spite" stance is also a bit childish. I have no doubt that you're a fair, responsible and moral individual by your own definition. But on this issue you're on the wrong side of morality. Just as humanity has stopped strictly following much of the Bible's teachings on behavior and punishment, it's time to drop the Leviticus style of thinking about gay marriage. People are people independently of what their sexual orientation is. They have the same rights  to form a family of their choosing without government penalties to do so.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 10:11:27 am »

It would be nice if that was the only case but the truth is the contract/agreement of marriage has a several thousand year old history of tradition between a man and a woman without the Bible.

Funny how attacking Christians so quickly for being hate mongering "Bible thumpers"  is not bigotry but the mere mention of having a different perspective of marriage is?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 10:17:54 am »

The "you hurt my feelings by calling me a bad name, so i'm going to be even more bigoted just out of spite" stance is also a bit childish. I have no doubt that you're a fair, responsible and moral individual by your own definition.
That's not it at all Fau. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all but it does put the average person on the defensive ... as it should. 

I've met you, Dave and Stroke .... arguably three of the most liberal people on here. If I had confronted you and said you are all going to burn in hell forever unless you accept Jesus Christ you would have 1) thought me crazy and 2) probably verbally attacked me back and never allowed me in your presence again. As it is I think we all met on common ground and as such have gotten to know more about each other that we wouldn't have if done the other way.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 10:22:21 am »

It would be nice if that was the only case but the truth is the contract/agreement of marriage has a several thousand year old history of tradition between a man and a woman without the Bible.

Funny how attacking Christians so quickly for being hate mongering "Bible thumpers"  is not bigotry but the mere mention of having a different perspective of marriage is?

Homosexuality has been found in recorded history going back beyond ancient Greece and you can find parallels in just about every vertebrate species. It's not a new or unnatural phenomenon. We as a species clearly evolved with homosexuality being found in about 10% of the population. And there are valid evolutionary theories as to how this happened and how it fits into a model of special selection.

I don't want you to feel like i'm attacking your religion specifically, because I'm not. You could be a worshiper of Thor and if Thor was opposed to gay marriage it would be exactly the same. I am criticizing the rationale of how you arrived at your position. If you want to provide a non-religious justification for opposing gay marriage I'm open to criticizing that as well. But if your justification is based in your religious viewpoint, then I think it's fair to look at where that justification comes from.

You can't be against something because of religion and then be upset when people criticize the root cause of your position.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 10:29:51 am »

I've met you, Dave and Stroke .... arguably three of the most liberal people on here. If I had confronted you and said you are all going to burn in hell forever unless you accept Jesus Christ you would have 1) thought me crazy and 2) probably verbally attacked me back and never allowed me in your presence again. As it is I think we all met on common ground and as such have gotten to know more about each other that we wouldn't have if done the other way.

For the record, i have very religious conservative friends that do in fact think that i am going to literally burn in hell forever because i do not accept Christianity as valid. And that's ok. They are entitled to their belief system. Far be it for me to tell them what they can and can't do with their lives. We are still friends and I still get invited to social events. However, if they used their beliefs to justify something that is immoral, i don't think religion is a good enough reason to hide behind. And I've told them so.

You can have faith, you can be religious, you can be the most devout person on the planet. Good for you. I'll be the last person on earth to tell you otherwise.  However, it's not an excuse or a justification for an immoral stance, in the slightest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray