Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:59:46 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Intangibles of a Dolphin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Intangibles of a Dolphin  (Read 2911 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: June 17, 2013, 10:25:28 am »

What are intangibles? Intangibles are things players do to help a team win that don't necessarily show up on the stat sheet. These are the things fans rarely see and are what causes so much debate amongst them.  I read on older baseball article this morning and saw a quote from Justin Hollander and it reminded me of how important human judgement is in the whole process.

"We are never going to be able to replace or not utilize true eye scouting," said Justin Hollander, director of baseball operations for the Angels. "I think what the defensive metrics will do is allow us to either verify the eye test or make us question the eye test and have some sort of comparison between the two. I don't think it's a replacement. It's just what we have now we can do better on the data that we have, and I think we will."

Some very good people see potential and intangibles in players while other good people do not. Personally I think that's the part of the game that keeps our interest when everything else seems to go wrong.

This brings me to my question. I think Jim "Crash" Jenson was a great player for the Dolphins based on all the things he did for them ... some of which showed up on the stat sheets but many others that did not.  He was elected  "Unsung Hero" by the Dolphins in 2006 for his overall contributions.

So who do you think is our biggest "unsung hero" currently and overall?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:21:58 am »

I want to give a shout-out to Patrick Cobbs.  I loved him for this.  Jensen, of course, is also a perfect example.  I'm not familiar enough with this roster to know a player that fits the bill yet, though.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:07:50 pm »

I think that guy could be Marcus Thigpen.

I think, at one time, it might have been Charles Clay.

I guess we will see...
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:00:13 pm »

I would think it's going to be somebody like Vernon who plays a lot on special teams and gives you the occasional sack. 

Twenty years ago it would have been Thigpen because nobody paid that much attention to the return game and special teams. 

The comparison I think would be can I plug this guy in just about anywhere in the lineup (RB, QB, WR, TE) and get something out of him. 

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:05:55 pm »

The comparison I think would be can I plug this guy in just about anywhere in the lineup (RB, QB, WR, TE) and get something out of him. 
That's what I'm thinking of Thigpen.  He's a WR/RB that can lineup almost anywhere on the field and his blazing speed makes him a weapon.  I don't know about QB, though.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:29:57 am »

I don't know about QB, though.

I was thinking more along the lines of if I pitch him the ball, can he throw a halfback pass or something along those lines not as a full-time qb I should have probably specified.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray