Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:01:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Wishing Keller Well.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Wishing Keller Well.  (Read 5706 times)
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« on: August 19, 2013, 10:05:20 am »

Sounds like the guy was a great professional through all of this and while I have seen that he doesn't want anyone feeling bad for him, I would still like to offer some support and wish him well!

I wish injuries of this nature could be avoided so that each player could realize their true potential from year to year.  I hate it that Keller was one of the small percent of preseason injuries like this that we see each year.  I think he would have been great for us this year! 

Again, if you or any of your family are seeing this...

Best of luck and you have our support!  (At least mine)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:30:47 am »

^^^ Agreed, and even though it turned out to not be the best move, I applaud the confidence he had in his abilities that led him to signing the one-year deal. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and can take that shot again with Miami next year.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:31:03 am »

I'm sad about this, and not just because the Fins are screwed on TE's.

I'm sad because I heard a lot about how hard this guy works and how he was hoping to play for a long term deal with the Dolphins and this was his chance to make it.  Sounded like he was out there trying to prove his worth and this happens.

I hope the Dolphins put him on IR and let him have another chance next year, instead of letting him go back to FA.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:08:22 pm »

Yeah, this is a raw deal for Keller in a few ways.

1) MIA has no particular loyalty incentive to keep him around (not that Ireland believes in loyalty).
2) If his playing career is over, MIA doesn't know him well enough to offer him a front office or coaching job.
3) NYJ is going to need a cooling off period (at the very least) after he went to MIA, not unlike Pennington (and Pennington was a golden boy over there).

Landshark
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:22:06 pm »

I'm sad about this, and not just because the Fins are screwed on TE's.

I'm sad because I heard a lot about how hard this guy works and how he was hoping to play for a long term deal with the Dolphins and this was his chance to make it.  Sounded like he was out there trying to prove his worth and this happens.

I hope the Dolphins put him on IR and let him have another chance next year, instead of letting him go back to FA.

I hope so too but he may never play again.  Funny how the guy who hit him was apologizing and saying he hit him low because he knew he would get flagged if he hit him high.  Maybe the NFL will revist that once more players start suffering career threatening knee injuries
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:38:32 pm »

I hope so too but he may never play again.  Funny how the guy who hit him was apologizing and saying he hit him low because he knew he would get flagged if he hit him high.  Maybe the NFL will revist that once more players start suffering career threatening knee injuries

cause obviously the knee is connected to the head
Landshark
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 01:23:53 pm »

cause obviously the knee is connected to the head

The NFL has started penalizing and fining high hits because of all the concussions.   Now that players are hitting low to avoid those penalties, you might see a rash of gruesome knee injuries similar to Keller's.  Then what will the NFL do once players start complaining about that?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:54:51 pm by Landshark » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 01:44:09 pm »

Funny how the guy who hit him was apologizing and saying he hit him low because he knew he would get flagged if he hit him high.

That's BS. Tackles are easily made above the knee and below the head without spearing an opponent.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
yuppi

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 01:49:13 pm »

The NFL has started penalizing and fining high hits because of all the concussions.   Now that players are hitting low to avoid those penalties, you might see a rash of gruesome knee injuries similar to Keller's.  Then what will the NFL do once players start complaining about that
lots of truth to this one....

"I guess 0 - 8 brings out the worst in Dolphin fans.  Since we can't beat up on our opponents, we beat up on each other. "
UkDOlphinfan
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 02:16:27 pm »

The NFL has started penalizing and fining high hits because of all the concussions.   Now that players are hitting low to avoid those penalties, you might see a rash of gruesome knee injuries similar to Keller's.  Then what will the NFL do once players start complaining about that?
Right because the only options are to hit in the knee or the head?

that's a cop out.

The NFL fines for hitting IN THE HEAD, not for hitting high.
phinphan
Uber Member

dcphinsphan dcphinsphan
Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 04:07:39 pm »

I have read were players are saying it is the nfl's fault for low hits some even say they would prefer to get a concussion because you can come back from that in a week or two but when your leg gets taken out your season is over.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 11:02:27 pm »

Right because the only options are to hit in the knee or the head?

that's a cop out.

The NFL fines for hitting IN THE HEAD, not for hitting high.
The NFL issues fines for hits to a certain part of the upper body (the head).
The NFL issues no fines for hits to the lower body (unless you are Tom Brady).

Why should a defender take a chance that the receiver might dive or otherwise lower his head while trying to catch the ball?  (Remember, they are frequently arriving immediately after the ball and have to make a decision while the ball is still in flight.)  Best to play it safe and just blow up his knees instead.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:06:54 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 11:12:19 pm »

The game is played at 400 MPH, sometimes you don't have a say in where you hit your opponent. It wasn't a malicious hit, it just landed in the wrong spot for Keller and now his career is probably over.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 11:21:46 pm »

EDGECRUSHER, I think it's more about training and practice.

If the NFL cracks down on hits to the head (even if unintentional), then just as defensive coaches have trained their players to avoid hitting QBs and punters, they will train them to hit receivers low.  It's not really even a question of a decision; it's training and instinct.

bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:11 pm »

Funny, I remember my high school and college coaches telling us to get our shoulders into the body. No one was ever taught to be a headhunter or go for the knees.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray