Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:18:03 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Ryan Tannehill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ryan Tannehill  (Read 6053 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 08:10:13 am »

Would it be fair to say that Tannehill looks as good as Good Jay Fiedler (and not Bad Jay)?
There is no way Jay could make the throws that Tannehill does. Good Jay was a great game manager while Tannehill is a legitimate QB.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 09:06:00 am »

Easy there, I know everyone hates him but Jay was probably the best QB we've had since Marino.  Good Jay was quite good. 

That said, I agree that Tannehill, so far, has looked just as good or better.  The difference is in Jay's longball vs. Ryan's longball.  Plus Jay could never throw the outs and sideline comebacks without getting them picked.  Ryan does it routinely.
SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 09:26:03 am »

Is this an example of good Jay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQDgCZVYEE
yuppi

Email
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 09:31:45 am »

Is this an example of good Jay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQDgCZVYEE
it was the jerseys man! the jerseys looked so ridiculously fressshhh

"I guess 0 - 8 brings out the worst in Dolphin fans.  Since we can't beat up on our opponents, we beat up on each other. "
UkDOlphinfan
Doc-phin
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 09:34:53 am »

To be honest, I kinda think Tannehill sucked last year.  Not to be a downer, but he is no further than any other 1st round QB should be in year two.

Again, I am not trying to be negative, I am just trying to stay objective.  On a more positive note, I don't see a bust!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 09:42:56 am »

Easy there, I know everyone hates him but Jay was probably the best QB we've had since Marino.  Good Jay was quite good. 

That said, I agree that Tannehill, so far, has looked just as good or better.  The difference is in Jay's longball vs. Ryan's longball.  Plus Jay could never throw the outs and sideline comebacks without getting them picked.  Ryan does it routinely.
I know you were Jay's one fan on here but are you really trying to say Tannehill has only looked "just as good" as Fiedler?  I'm confused because then you post two things Jay couldn't do that Tannehill does ... and they are not the only things he is better at.

Jay was tough and did what he could do but he was very limited. Jay had some great teams to work with.  For that matter I think Pennington did more with less and I'd take Tanehill over Pennington without any thought.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 10:08:08 am »

Ryan has made me realize how ridiculous QB rating is. Tanny doesn't throw a ton of TD's, but his team scores them. Wallace was down at the 1 after a pass. So, 3 more feet and it's a Tanny TD. He didn't make it, so it's a Clay TD. This is why his TD-INT ratio last year was not good, but all of the sabermetric football stats showed him as being a good QB, even better than Flacco.

No metric is perfect.  QBR does better than any single measure (yards, % complete, etc.) in rating QBs.  IMO, its biggest flaw is it should count QB fumbles the same way as ints.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 10:34:36 am »

CF, did you miss the word bolded below, or just ignore them on purpose?

That said, I agree that Tannehill, so far, has looked just as good or better. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »

With 10+ years of hindsight, Good Jay was pretty good.  Won some key games for the Dolphins, particularly in '00 and '01 when he had a pretty horrible supporting cast.  When you look back, Fiedler's '00 and '01 offense was pretty damn close to what Miami fielded last year... and Fiedler got a division title, two playoff appearances, and a playoff win out of that.

Landshark
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 12:53:20 pm »

With 10+ years of hindsight, Good Jay was pretty good.  Won some key games for the Dolphins, particularly in '00 and '01 when he had a pretty horrible supporting cast.  When you look back, Fiedler's '00 and '01 offense was pretty damn close to what Miami fielded last year... and Fiedler got a division title, two playoff appearances, and a playoff win out of that.

Not to mention that the 2002 Dolphins missed the playoffs because he was hurt for a good portion of the season
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 01:41:47 pm »

Spider ... you have some foggy memory there. We had a very good defense thanks to Jimmy.

2000 Lamar Smith 1,300 yard rusher,  (Fiedler 14 TD and 14 INTs)
2001 OJ McDuffie, Oronde Gadsdon, Chris Chambers as W/R and Lamar Smith was pretty much a 1000 yard rusher (Fiedler 20TS 19 INTs)
2002 In 2002 we added a 1800 yard rusher that didn't seem to help him

His playoff win was due To Lamar Smith's NFL record breaking career game and a missed FG by the Colts. I'm sure you remember

MIAMI (AP) -- Lamar Smith carried the ball an NFL-record 40 times. He carried cornerback Jeff Burris into the end zone for the winning score in overtime.

And when jubilant Miami head coach Dave Wannstedt jumped on his back as they headed for the locker room, Smith carried him, too.

Smith rushed for 209 yards, including a 17-yard touchdown run in overtime, and the resilient Dolphins rallied past the Indianapolis Colts 23-17 in an AFC wild-card playoff game Saturday.

"Everyone got their money's worth," Wannstedt said.

Jay Fiedler overcame three first-half interceptions to lead a comeback from a 14-point deficit in the second half, and Miami tied the game in the final minute of regulation.

The game plan with Fiedler was always ... "don't do anything to lose the game" and as was the case throughout Jay's career with the Dolphins ... the won in spite of him and definitely not because of him.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:49:36 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 02:19:44 pm »

My foggy memory has Lamar Smith with 1139 yards on the season, not "1300."

The 2000 Dolphins: 1627 rush yards (outside of Fiedler)
The 2001 Dolphins: 1343 rush yards (outside of Fiedler)
The 2012 Dolphins: 1591 rush yards (outside of Tannehill)

In 2000, I don't think Oronde Gadsden, Leslie Shepherd, and the ghosts of OJ McDuffie and Tony Martin (with the inimitable Hunter Goodwin at TE) were a better group of targets than Hartline/Bess/Fasano/Clay/Bush.  In 2001, Gadsden + James McKnight and a rookie Chris Chambers (who started less than half of the games) wasn't much of an upgrade, particularly when you consider the dramatic dropoff in rushing effectiveness.

Now, as for defenses:

2000: #3 in points, #6 in yards
2001: #11 in points, #5 in yards
2012: #7 in points, #21 in yards

So while the 2000 team clearly had the best defense (and was the only team to win the division and a playoff game), the 2001 team had the worst rushing attack by far and the defense (compared to 2012) was better in yards but worse in points.  Yet that 2001 team still won 11 games and made the playoffs.

As far as 2002 goes, the 1800 yard rusher did not do much to keep Jay Fiedler from getting injured, nor did it seem to help Fiedler prevent Ray Lucas from being the worst Dolphin QB of all time.  Fiedler was 7-3 as a starter that year.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:29:21 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 06:53:36 pm »

Tannehill has a right shoulder injury. He was limited in practice today
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 07:23:30 pm »

Tannehill has a right shoulder injury. He was limited in practice today

They're calling it a shoulder "issue", not injury. The difference is often minor-to-non-existent of course, but the point is that it's apparently "just" soreness.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray