Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:32:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  The kickers today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The kickers today  (Read 3299 times)
Landshark
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:26:05 pm »

I watched as Vinatieri missed his first field goal today and thought, "If this game is close, that's really gonna come back to bite them in the ass."  Sure enough, that's exactly what happened.  Down by 4 late in the game, the Colts had no choice but to go for it on 4th down because of the situation they were in.  If Vinatieri, a guy who has had a Hall of Fame career, makes that kick, then Indy kicks the field goal and this game has a totally different outcome. 

As for Sturgis, all I can say is UNFUCKINGBELIEVEABLE.  The guy made a 54 yarder at the end of the first half like there was nothing to it.  If we had kept Dan Carpenter on this roster, there is no way in hell he would've made that kick.  That fifth round pick was a good investment in this kid who will probably be kicking for this team for the next 10-15 years.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:04:45 pm »

If we had kept Dan Carpenter on this roster, there is no way in hell he would've made that kick. 

Don't get me wrong I'm happy as heck we have Sturgis....but Carpenter made a 55 yarder and a 48 yarder, for Buffalo, in their squeaky win over the Panthers today.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 11:06:23 pm »

Well, we said the same thing about Carpenter in '08.

I don't need Sturgis to be the next Janikowski.  It seems rare for anyone to keep a kicker for more than 5 years or so, these days.  Kickers go from "best FG % in the league" to "out of a job" in 2 years time.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 07:12:07 am »

I don't need Sturgis to be the next Janikowski.  It seems rare for anyone to keep a kicker for more than 5 years or so, these days.  Kickers go from "best FG % in the league" to "out of a job" in 2 years time.

That is very true!! Kickers can "lose it" really quick in this league.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:11:44 am »

I'll stop short of saying Carp would have missed it.  But this kid banged through a 54 yarder TWICE like it was nothing.  Dead center with 10-15 yards length to spare.

Sturgis is going to be a very good kicker in this league. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:14:07 am »

I remember someone being pissed about the pick saying it was a wasted one. I can definitely see this kid winning games that are on the line. He looked cool as ice with those kicks at halftime.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:23:12 am »

Yeah those back to back FGs were pretty dang impressive.  So far he hasn't flinched when it comes to kicking. I certainly can't remember a kicker who gave me this kind of confidence in such a short time.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Landshark
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 10:34:28 am »

I remember someone being pissed about the pick saying it was a wasted one. I can definitely see this kid winning games that are on the line. He looked cool as ice with those kicks at halftime.

That would be BigDaddyFin.  He thought drafting kickers was a waste of draft picks.

http://www.thedolphinsmakemecry.com/forums/index.php?topic=21567.0

When the kicker is a Groza Award candidate,  a late round draft pick is a good gamble.  Hell, Sebastian Janikowski was a first round draft pick.
yuppi

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:13:37 pm »

being a Gator fan, I knew first hand how good Sturgis was. The 54 yd (both of them) woulda been good from 61

"I guess 0 - 8 brings out the worst in Dolphin fans.  Since we can't beat up on our opponents, we beat up on each other. "
UkDOlphinfan
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray