Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 27, 2024, 04:50:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  18 game season with two games of rest.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 18 game season with two games of rest.  (Read 12599 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 10:27:11 am »

I like Thursday Night games.  But two Monday games could be cool, as well.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 12:05:12 pm »

One thing that I think could go away though is the weekly Thursday night package. It just isn't working. Fans hate it, the match-up's for the most part aren't intriguing, and coaches and players hate it.

Maybe you don't like it, but it doesn't have general fan disapproval that you claim, many like it.  One many hated was that it was on NFLN only and several cable companies didn't offer NFLN. 

Getting rid of Thursday night would require one of two things:  (1) giving NFLN a different game - say the MNF package  OR (2) disbanding NFLN.  As TNF is the only compelling reason for NFLN.  It is unlikely the NFL is going to choose option (2) as NFLN makes them money.

As for coaches and player, most would prefer to play in a Thursday night game than a MNF game.  In fact the one thing they really  don't like is having their opponent having played in a TNG when they played in a MNF game.
(see http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/24/peyton-complains-about-eagles-getting-extra-time-to-prepare/)

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 03:47:11 pm »

Maybe you don't like it, but it doesn't have general fan disapproval that you claim, many like it. 

As for coaches and player, most would prefer to play in a Thursday night game than a MNF game.

This isn't about me and what I like!!!!  The NFL Network doesn't like how this package is working out for them. It has been a disaster and they need to tweak it or flat out get rid of it or else its only going to get worse. Moving to a double header on Monday Nights where they get the late game isn't a crazy notion and has been talked about in TV circles. Now there are contracts in place and this isn't happening tomorrow but it is an idea that has been kicked around.

And unless you can back up that the players like it more than monday night football that seems like a made up "fact" you pulled out of thin air to support your stance
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 04:07:49 pm »

I like Thursday night games. I really don't see the difference to them versus ...  say the Thanksgiving Day games. Teams do not do it every week and playing on short week is just part of the plan.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 04:43:07 pm »

The NFL Network doesn't like how this package is working out for them. It has been a disaster and they need to tweak it or flat out get rid of it or else its only going to get worse.

I'm having trouble finding a source for your claim that Thursday Night Football is a failure and that NFLN doesn't like how it's working out.

The Chiefs-Eagles game last week had the highest ratings of any NFLN game ever (source).

Last season was the fourth consecutive year of improved ratings for Thursday Night Football (same source).

Thursday Night Football is consistently the highest rated show on cable that day (50% more viewers than #2 last week) (same source).

NFL boosts NFLN carriage fees 41% thanks to more TNF (source).

Affiliate revenue expected to increase 56% thanks in part to a 10% increase in subscribers.

NFLN ad revenue doubled in 2012 (same source).

I was only able to find a few grumblings (or references to such) and the sources quoted were often anonymous and the journalism speculative at best, often downright questionable (citing ratings problems when comparing to non-cable offerings, for example).

I don't doubt that at least some players and coaches dislike having their routine disrupted and risk short weeks, but NFLN is an increasingly huge cash cow for the NFL and, as Hoodie mentioned above, it is the only compelling reason for NFLN's existence.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 04:49:45 pm »

I like Thursday night games as well. It's nice to have NFL on my TV 3 days a week instead of 2...

This isn't about me and what I like!!!!  The NFL Network doesn't like how this package is working out for them.

Could you do me the huge favor and provide a link to anything from anyone official at NFLN that says they don't like how the package is working out for them? I did a few Googles for variations of that search query and didn't see anything to support that statement. If it's accurate, then cool...but it really does sound like an "assumed" sentiment on your part, rather than an official one.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 04:52:29 pm »

I'm not a huge fan of the Thursday night games for one reason and one reason only. Fantasy Football!!!!!! If I have a player who gets injured between the Thursday game and the Sunday game and my #1 backup has already played on Thursday it is really annoying. I don't mind it for the holiday games and stuff like that but every week kind of sucks.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
el diablo
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 05:18:22 pm »

MLB regular season: 162 games
NBA regular season:  81 games
NFL regular season:  16 games

You see where your argument runs into a wall, right?

You see how they play multiple games a week, right?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 06:39:23 pm »

And unless you can back up that the players like it more than monday night football that seems like a made up "fact" you pulled out of thin air to support your stance

Unlike you I actually did provide a link of a player bitching about the short week after a MNF game.

I have read others.  Provide some for your position and I will google more that support mine, b/c there have been others as well. 

Landshark
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 08:22:15 am »

With all this talk of Thursday night games vs a Monday night doubleheader, I also think it would be wise for the NFL to allow FOX and CBS to have doubleheaders every week on Sundays.  That way stations can have more variety in which games they show on TV.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 07:36:11 am »

This isn't about me and what I like!!!!  The NFL Network doesn't like how this package is working out for them. It has been a disaster and they need to tweak it or flat out get rid of it or else its only going to get worse.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/report-league-considers-adding-more-thursday-games/

The NFL reportedly is disappointed that the present approach, which expanded last year to cover most Thursdays, hasn’t generated more interest.  In addition to additional Thursday night games, some of the games currently televised by NFL Network could be sold to other networks.

As I was saying weeks ago. The Thursday Night package as it currently stands is an absolute failure. And they are considering  adding more games each Thursday night to make the night more important and selling off games to the Networks to get them off NFL Network
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:38:07 am by MikeO » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 07:50:05 am »

I have to believe that the fact many people simply do not have access to the Thursday night games that it is disliked.

We just got the NFL network. Prior to that I'd go to a bar to watch the Dolphins if they played but I simply did not watch other teams. Now that I have the NFL Network I watch many more Thursday night games.

My father is in a nursing home and watches pretty much every sport that is on. He is always complaining about not getting to see the Thursday night games.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 08:02:22 am »

It most definitely is the fact that people don't have the NFL Network and don't want to pay extra for it is the reason for the failure. It was a stupid idea to begin with.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 09:33:41 am »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/report-league-considers-adding-more-thursday-games/

The NFL reportedly is disappointed that the present approach, which expanded last year to cover most Thursdays, hasn’t generated more interest.  In addition to additional Thursday night games, some of the games currently televised by NFL Network could be sold to other networks.

As I was saying weeks ago. The Thursday Night package as it currently stands is an absolute failure. And they are considering  adding more games each Thursday night to make the night more important and selling off games to the Networks to get them off NFL Network

Three strikes -- your out.

Strike one, disappointed it has generated more interest does not equal absolute failure.

Strike two, according to your selected quote from the article it says they are thinking of moving some games to other networks, not getting rid of Thursday night game.

Strike Three, the rest of the article is about the NFL adding MORE Thursday night games. 

If you think this article supports your premise that TNF is going away, you didn't read it. 

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 10:45:52 am »

adding MORE games and selling it off to the networks possibly!!!

Thank you!! That supports what I said in that the current Thursday Night product on NFL NEtwork is a disaster that needs fixing and tweaking!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray