Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:54:52 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Positives/Negatives
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Positives/Negatives  (Read 5010 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: October 06, 2013, 05:32:45 pm »

There were some positives in today's game

POSITIVES
-Tannehill threw for 300 yards and had no turnovers while taking a beating. The 4th down pass late was clutch
-Dion Jordan gets better each week. Caused the INT that went for a TD. He is going to be a special player
-Clay had the late drop but still he played very well today

NEGATIVES
-O-line and that's it. With this group playing a decent team will always be a struggle. They got a week off to figure some stuff out or find a body off the street. But come 2 weeks from now no way the same 5 guys can line up next to each other.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 06:51:38 pm »

I'd like to add one more negative: Wallace.

Wallace is targeted maybe 20% of the time but accounts for something like 80% of miscommunications. Add to that plays where he's completely lost and just doing his own thing (like blocking today on a normal pass play instead of actually running his route -- apparently thinking the play was a screen or something, except no one else thought so). And his stone hands.

Does Tannehill need to hit him more accurately with the ball, particularly on bombs? No question. Those two need to get on the same page quick, 'cause it's costing games. Tannehill has no problem hitting other players with the deep ball and has plenty of arm strength, so I just don't get it. It's not week 1 anymore.

I'd love to hear some inside info on Wallace. Is he not dedicating himself in practice or what? He just seems lost out there on too many plays.
Landshark
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 06:52:39 pm »

I'd like to add one more negative: Wallace.

Wallace is targeted maybe 20% of the time but accounts for something like 80% of miscommunications. Add to that plays where he's completely lost and just doing his own thing (like blocking today on a normal pass play instead of actually running his route -- apparently thinking the play was a screen or something, except no one else thought so). And his stone hands.

Does Tannehill need to hit him more accurately with the ball, particularly on bombs? No question. Those two need to get on the same page quick, 'cause it's costing games. Tannehill has no problem hitting other players with the deep ball and has plenty of arm strength, so I just don't get it. It's not week 1 anymore.

I'd love to hear some inside info on Wallace. Is he not dedicating himself in practice or what? He just seems lost out there on too many plays.

I really don't know.  There has to be something said for him accounting for 105 total yards today and 99 of them coming in the first half. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 07:12:53 pm »

Negative:  Our O-line is playing like a group of one-legged retarded children
Positive:  Tannehill hasn't died yet

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
el diablo
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 08:58:53 pm »

Positives: Came out of the 1st five games, 3-2.
Despite losing Keller, offense is showing potential.
Defense is still making plays.

Negatives: O-line. Can't block, can't win.
Offensive playcalling. Can't take advantage defenses selling out.
Growing pains, continue.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:05:39 am »

I was returning from Atlanta during the game so I had to listen on my phone to a Ravens broadcast.  They were constantly bad mouthing the "60 million dollar man" who had some key drops and our O-line.  Their criticisms sounded just like Dolphin fans.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
el diablo
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 10:19:14 am »

I was returning from Atlanta during the game so I had to listen on my phone to a Ravens broadcast.  They were constantly bad mouthing the "60 million dollar man" who had some key drops and our O-line.  Their criticisms sounded just like Dolphin fans.

So you got to hear them say, "The hay's in the barn!"?
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 01:13:48 pm »

I would like to point out that some of the drops on the last drive were to the Dolphins benefit because they stopped the clock

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 01:40:29 pm »

So you got to hear them say, "The hay's in the barn!"?
yes... That was a new one for me.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 11:58:14 pm »

I would like to point out that some of the drops on the last drive were to the Dolphins benefit because they stopped the clock

I want to know who's idea was it to spike the ball after the big 4th down play for Gibson. They didn't have to and they had time to run a play and not waste a down. If it was Tannehill, I can live with it as he is young and hasn't been in that position too much. Growing pains not the end of the world with a young QB. If it was a call from Philbin and Sherman to kill the clock....well they should know better and that is really bad coaching decision.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 03:25:54 am »

I want to know who's idea was it to spike the ball after the big 4th down play for Gibson.
Looked like Tannehill. He was making the spike motion with his arm right after the pass was complete. And I agree, that was unnecessary. It wouldn't have taken much more time to get a play off, even if just a pre designed run up the middle.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:07 am »

Looked like Tannehill. He was making the spike motion with his arm right after the pass was complete. And I agree, that was unnecessary. It wouldn't have taken much more time to get a play off, even if just a pre designed run up the middle.

But they could have been yelling in his helmet to spike it or the assistants on the sideline could have been giving him the motion to kill the clock. We don't know
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 09:01:13 pm »

Philbin took credit, but honestly I don't think it mattered in the least. One more play may have taken them completely out of FG range.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 02:35:04 am »

First Miami game for the year that's been televised in Australia, so the first I can really comment on. Here goes...

Tannehill: Generally speaking, I'm a lot more impressed by this game than what I saw in a few games shown here last year. Absolutely terrible throw in the first quarter that was basically picked off (reversed after review), a couple of notable underthrown balls to Wallace (more about that later) but after that there was a lot to be positive about. It was really good to see him going through progressions (when he had time), the timing throw to Clay for the TD was top notch, and there were other equally impressive passes. There were a few throws that were behind receivers which most probably resulted from having a defensive lineman right in his face, but overall (and crucially) no turnovers which is a minor miracle when you consider the...

Offensive Line: After all the high end the draft picks, all the money, this is the best this group can do? The bull rush on Martin was pretty close to the comic (tragedy) play by Smith that was gif'd last year - then it was repeated on the other side of the line. The high number of pressures, sacks, and complete lack of running lanes is simply not good enough. Something has got to be done, or else Tanny will leave the field in a body bag before the season is out...

Offensive Coordinator: Sherman has to get some stick for this game (and maybe Philbin too if it's a flaw of his overall plan). Calling nine rushing plays by running backs does nothing to lessen the pressure on the O-line & QB. Rushing & QB protection never seemed to be a high priority in Green Bay either so this isn't a total surprise mind you, but with a young QB he needs all the help he can get. I can understand the logic of keeping Tanny in the pocket as long as possible to help his development (and seeing him going through his progressions on some plays seems to give this idea some weight), but it doesn't help if it ends up getting him continually mauled. When the protection is this bad they have to get him outside the pocket more, he can run, he can throw on the run, we've all seen him do it successfully like late in the last quarter.

Rushing: Basically non-existent. Are these guys even practicing running plays? The backs don't seem to start deep enough to get any momentum - not that it matters as there's usually no holes to rush to anyway, that or they're hit in the backfield. I'm still wondering why Thomas is on the team, apart from the fact that Ireland burned three draft picks on the guy - he's not a power back and has no explosive speed, has shown less than nothing in three years. It's at the stage where maybe the guy should be returning a few kicks to see if he can actually do something, and we use Thigpen & Clay more in the backfield as a change up with Miller.

Receiving: Speaking of Thigpen, there was talk here of him being used more of a wide receiver, but I swear we still seem to be a receiver short. Hartline, Clay & Gibson seem to be doing their bit, and having Wallace run a few deep routes is nice, but I think we need an additional deep threat to keep defenses honest - can Thigpen be that guy? Is Matthews back soon? Do we need to add someone else to have a four or five wideout group that will present a genuine deep threat, spread defenses and maybe take a little pressure off the O-line in the process?

Wallace: To be honest I had some doubts about this acquisition, and the jury is still out. We knew about his speed, and we knew (or should have known) about his drops before we got him. A few times it was very noticeable (and said by CBS during the game) that Tanny & Wallace seemed not to be on the same page, which itself may be a good or bad thing - if it's fixed we could see a great combo which should drastically change our offense, if not we never will. On the surface Wallace also seems to be taking responsibility for his own lack of early success - he seems to care and this may indicate it's just teething problems adjusting to a new team and young QB. His adjustment to make the deep catch on the underthrown ball early on in the game was exciting, the drops on passes slightly thrown behind him were frustrating (although he wasn't alone in this), the different routes/responses to what Tanny was expecting to see was nothing short of bizarre. This is clearly not the instant success of the Marino-Fryar combination, it's a work in progress - maybe we're expecting too much, but how long do we give it?

Defense: Considering how long they were on the field and our own injuries, yet again these guys did a really amazing job. Ellerbee was an absolute beast in the first quarter, losing him & Wake really hurt, Soliai, Misi, Starks & company were a wall of strength all game, and Vernon had a great day pressuring Flacco. I really didn't notice Dion Jordan until those two big plays, the almost interception and the key deflection resulting in one - we have to get him more game time if he's fit enough. Wheeler seems to cop a lot of shit here, didn't really notice him much to be honest, no really bad plays, nothing great either. Secondary was okay considering just how banged up they are (the two shockingly bad PI calls didn't help), although I am a little worried about one player...

Reshad Jones: One of my favorite players from last year who I thought was really unlucky not to get a Pro Bowl birth, he just didn't seem to be the same guy out there. Yeah he got the interception on the tip ball and was good enough to take it to the house, but for most of the game he really didn't seem to nail the tackles or shut down receivers like I saw last year. A few times he seemed to be spectating, where last year he would have rushed in and made the play. Maybe I'm being picky, and maybe he's having to adjust for the rest of the banged up secondary - anyone else have similar or opposing views on this?

Overall: It was a close, tense game, not an overly pretty one to watch though. We're 3-2 which is a lot better than I was expecting at the start of the year, although the team still appears to be a work in progress - the rest of the draw could open up with Tampa Bay & Pittsburgh stinking it up so far, and the Bengals being a real Jekyll and Hyde team. That said, I also get the feeling the Bills & Jets may end up being tougher opposition than we give them credit for too.

Ps. The white uniforms didn't look too horrible to be honest, for some reason the aqua seemed a little more greenish (like the previous aquamarine color) in daylight as opposed to the heavier blue/cyan color in some photos I've seen from the New Orleans game. The new logo still sucks though. Tongue
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:39:30 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray