Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:10:50 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Redskins "Name" debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Redskins "Name" debate  (Read 19157 times)
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »

I honestly don't have a dog in the fight so I really don't care but I think changing the name for a select few is kind of dumb. Unfortunately in this watered down pussified version of America if a couple of people get offended we have to change everything so I am sure their hand will be forced. Not sure why the president feels the need to comment on this especially with so much other BS going on currently but anytime the government gets involved you can bet their will be a change. Most polls and stories I have seen show a majority of the Native Americans are not offended and are not asking to have the name changed. The media needs to let this die.....and Bob Costas needs to shut the fuck up!!!!!

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 05:55:44 am »

I honestly don't have a dog in the fight so I really don't care but I think changing the name for a select few is kind of dumb. Unfortunately in this watered down pussified version of America if a couple of people get offended we have to change everything so I am sure their hand will be forced. Not sure why the president feels the need to comment on this especially with so much other BS going on currently but anytime the government gets involved you can bet their will be a change. Most polls and stories I have seen show a majority of the Native Americans are not offended and are not asking to have the name changed. The media needs to let this die.....and Bob Costas needs to shut the fuck up!!!!!

^^^^Totally agree. Calling someone redskin or black is basically the same thing. It's referring to their color. After like 80 years and now it's a big deal says a lot about the motivations. At one time colored was accepted and now it's not. Guess it's time to change the name of the NAACP. At one time negro was accepted and now it's not. Guess it's time to change the name of the United Negro College Fund. How long before African American is being complained about? I say keep the Redskins name and to hell with anyone that doesn't like it. If you get your feelings hurt by a name then that's no one's fault but your own!

Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 10:59:44 am »

You deserve this AZ:

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 11:39:48 am »

changing the name for a select few is kind of dumb. Unfortunately in this watered down pussified version of America if a couple of people get offended we have to change everything

Bet 60 years ago you would have said that 'just because Rosa Parks and couple of other uppity n*****s don't like the bus system is no reason to change that' either.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 11:45:15 am »

Bet 60 years ago you would have said that 'just because Rosa Parks and couple of other uppity n*****s don't like the bus system is no reason to change that' either.

Really? You're comparing the Redskins name change debate to the Civil Rights movement?

What's next...comparing the guy who fishes the stream in his back yard to supporting commercial whaling?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 11:45:52 am »

Just change it. 

It's going to have to happen anyway.

It wasn't an issue 60 years ago, because the way this country treated Native Americans (and other races, in general) was different.  The "why is it an issue now" argument is a TERRIBLE argument, especially considering the things that this country has done to its minorities 60 years ago. 

I don't care, personally, and I'm not offended -- but realistically, you just can't have a team named for a racial-slur that has a negative slant.   Period.  I get that it's tradition, but it's going to be a PR shit-storm eventually, so just do it now and get it behind you and move on.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 11:52:06 am »

Really? You're comparing the Redskins name change debate to the Civil Rights movement?

What's next...comparing the guy who fishes the stream in his back yard to supporting commercial whaling?

Both are rooted in racism.

Both the argument by the other side is basically, "its always been that way"

While I will agree the degree of wrongfulness is different, it doesn't make the smaller wrong right. 

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 11:54:00 am »

Is it the word "red" that is offensive, or the word "skin?" What is the negative slant associated with the term that you're referring to?

Should I be offended when someone calls me a white man? Should I demand that they refer to me as a caucasian instead? I think I prefer "Moderately-Tan-American."

Somebody get me a petition, because this Moderately-Tan-American is on a mission!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 11:54:17 am »

The "watered-down pussification" of America started in the '60s and continues today.  Who cares whether you have your own drinking fountains or bathrooms?

As I said, it's been fine this way for years can be used to justify all sorts of nonsense.  If you wouldn't think it's OK to call a Native American a "redskin", then you shouldn't be defending the team name.

And for the record:  I'm a lifelong Cleveland Indians fan, and Chief Wahoo was specifically the reason why I (as a 9-year-old) chose the Indians as my favorite team.  That being said, if (say, 20 years from now) "Cleveland Indians" becomes the equivalent of "Seattle Chinamen" or "Boston Coloreds", I'll support a change.  I realize Chief Wahoo is probably not long for this world.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 12:00:30 pm »

The "watered-down pussification" of America started in the '60s and continues today. 

It goes back further than that.

Ever since Susan B. Anthony and bunch of other bitches that defied Gods will that a women's proper place is the kitchen and bedroom and started demanding that their opinion count this country as been on a downward spiral of pussification. 

Evil Evil Evil

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 12:26:15 pm »

Is it the word "red" that is offensive, or the word "skin?" What is the negative slant associated with the term that you're referring to?
Is it the word "wet" that is offensive, or the word "back?" What is the negative slant associated with the term that you're referring to?

Shall we break down the etymology of other racial slurs?

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 01:23:47 pm »

The part of this that gets me is that the people who are supposedly offended are, for the most part, not.  Its some vocal minority who are making it a big stink.  There have been polls. 

Why should we be sensitive for something that the supposedly-offended people don't find offensive?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 01:47:54 pm »

The part of this that gets me is that the people who are supposedly offended are, for the most part, not.  Its some vocal minority who are making it a big stink.  There have been polls. 

Why should we be sensitive for something that the supposedly-offended people don't find offensive?

Dude, it's a racial slur.

It doesn't matter if a majority of people find it offensive or not.  You can't have a team named after a racial slur in this day and age.  I wish that was always the case, but it was not and someone made an insensitive decision a long time ago.  Correct it and move on.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 02:01:07 pm »

Should I be offended when someone calls me a white man? Should I demand that they refer to me as a caucasian instead? I think I prefer "Moderately-Tan-American."

Somebody get me a petition, because this Moderately-Tan-American is on a mission!

Exactly correct. If calling someone a black man or a white man is ok, then accordingly calling someone a red man shouldn't be any different or more offensive. It describes the pigment of one's skin. How something negative or racist is derived out of that is perplexing. It's a simple descriptor and implies nothing negative at face value. This has nothing to do with civil rights. This is a private organization that has every right to use the name they have. Having the name "Washington Redskins" doesn't restrict or deny anyone anything. It doesn't tell anyone that they "can't" do or have something. The owner of the team shouldn't change the name unless he wants to change it, he has every right to use the name. If the small minority of people it offends doesn't like it, they have every right to boycott the team. What about the Native Americans that would get offended by the team changing their name? You can never please everyone. So in the end as the owner, do what "YOU" want to do. It's your money.

Quote from: Robert Green  recently retired Chief of the Fredericksburg-area Patawomeck Tribe
“Frankly, the members of my tribe -- the vast majority -- don’t find it offensive. I’ve been a Redskins fan for years. And to be honest with you, I would be offended if they did change [the name, Redskins ... This is] an attempt by somebody ... to completely remove the Indian identity from anything and pretty soon ... you have a wipeout in society of any reference to Indian people ... You can’t rewrite history -- yes there were some awful bad things done to our people over time, but naming the Washington football team the Redskins, we don’t consider to be one of those bad things.”

I guess next, some clown is going to be offended by a pouch of chewing tobacco. Oh the horror

Some people have nothing better to do in life than be "offended" about something. Petty childish shit!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:03:40 pm by pondwater » Logged

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 02:19:08 pm »

Dude, it's a racial slur.

Is it?  Or is that just a buzzword to incite outrage?

slur

noun
an insinuation or allegation about someone that is likely to insult them or damage their reputation.

By definition, the word "Redskin" ceases to be a slur if people aren't insulted by it.  Why isn't the baseball team from Cleveland being asked to change their name to the Cleveland Native-Americans? 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray