Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:56:40 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  I'm convinced. Ireland and Phibin need to go.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: I'm convinced. Ireland and Phibin need to go.  (Read 15240 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 12:25:35 pm »

^ I kinda hope that Philbin gets out of this, but I imagine that some of the other coaches will take the fall.  I'm hoping this investigation will find some people that this can be tracked to, so you can clear out.

I don't think this investigation will find anything of importance really. We will see

I think Philbin is safe. Ross is loyal to a fault (look how long he has kept Ireland around).
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 12:29:55 pm »

I don't think this investigation will find anything of importance really. We will see

I think Philbin is safe. Ross is loyal to a fault (look how long he has kept Ireland around).

Here is Philbin's biggest risk, (besides losing a bunch more games):  If the investigation finds that Philbin told Incongito to toughen up Martin, in response to Martin missing a practice, that is a violation of the CBA and league rules.  Something that could result in the league fining the Dolphins for and/or costing the Dolphins a draft pick. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 12:32:55 pm »

And here I thought Philbin's biggest risk was being outcoached and losing to an 0-8 Bucs team. Huh... Who knew? -EK
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 12:34:18 pm »

^^^ I added the losing of games.  I meant from the bullygate, his biggest risk is the code aqua. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 12:38:18 pm »

Here is Philbin's biggest risk, (besides losing a bunch more games):  If the investigation finds that Philbin told Incongito to toughen up Martin, in response to Martin missing a practice, that is a violation of the CBA and league rules.  Something that could result in the league fining the Dolphins for and/or costing the Dolphins a draft pick. 

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen. Or else Philbin would have given Ross the heads up on that already so he didn't go in front of the public/media and make an ass out of himself by defending Philbin like he did yesterday. Not being honest with the owner hurts Philbin more long term than actually giving the order if he did. Which tells me he didn't plus he doesn't see like that type of coach.

I'm sure Philbin told Ross he didn't give any "code red" and that and he is only coaching the players Irealnd gave him. Because remember Ireland has "FINAL SAY" on the roster...not Philbin!
el diablo
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 02:36:47 pm »

While Landshark is ranting like a child, I fear his point may be correct.

I don't blame any one person for what's happened here, but this latest scandal really opened my eyes to the dysfunction and lack of leadership with our organization.  I feel bad for Philbin (and I even kinda feel bad for Ireland), but I think that you need to clean house.

And I never, ever say that.

But what are you salvaging?  I probably wouldn't let Philbin go if it were my choice, but there needs to be a scapegoat for this and just Ireland isn't enough.  I think you need to change the culture of the team, effective immediately.  It probably needs to start with Ross.  If he's here for the long haul, he needs to take a more active role in setting the tone for what is acceptable.

You know -- it even goes back to the marketing from a few years ago (something I originally said wasn't a big deal.)  But you advertise that this is a party.  Well, you got a party and your players are having a blast.  You need a change in organizational focus.  I think that Philbin was that change, but it was too late.  The cancer had already seeped its way into the team at all levels.

Dave, I hear you. The problem with letting Ireland go but keeping Philbin is that you limit your choices. If you could find a GM that agrees with Philbin's play and personnel style, cool. I'm not saying that would be impossible. Just difficult. If I was Ross, I would completely clean house after this season. Then again, I would also change the logo. But in the end, changes have to be made here. Its nit just the lack of progress. Its the "culture" that's "tearing this team apart."
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 03:15:56 pm »

Dave, I hear you. The problem with letting Ireland go but keeping Philbin is that you limit your choices. If you could find a GM that agrees with Philbin's play and personnel style, cool. I'm not saying that would be impossible. Just difficult.

I totally agree.

You need a GM that has the same philosophy as a head coach.  I'd love if we found a GM who wants to keep Philbin, but I understand if that's not the case that Philbin may be an unfortunate casualty.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 03:18:02 pm »

you guys do realize that if Ross fires Ireland there is a good chance (maybe better than good) Ross just makes Dawn Aponte the new GM. You realize that is a possibility right?
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 04:34:31 pm »

you guys do realize that if Ross fires Ireland there is a good chance (maybe better than good) Ross just makes Dawn Aponte the new GM. You realize that is a possibility right?

I didn't give that any thought, but you may be right.  I know she has been involved in contract negotiations, and is considered a tough negotiator.  Would she also be responsible for talent evaluation? 
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 04:35:47 pm »

I didn't give that any thought, but you may be right.  I know she has been involved in contract negotiations, and is considered a tough negotiator.  Would she also be responsible for talent evaluation? 

Yep!
Landshark
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 04:57:09 pm »

Yep!

That would mean the eventual destruction of this team and would cause me to stop watching games altogether.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:19:41 pm by Landshark » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 05:51:34 pm »

That would mean the eventual destruction of this team and would cause me to stop watching games altogether.

You could just create a new fan persona and start watching again as someone else...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 06:06:05 pm »

You could just create a new fan persona and start watching again as someone else...

Well if that happens then Landshark can just become a Panthers fan and post here everyday non stop  Wink
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 06:36:02 pm »

Be afraid.... be very afraid
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 08:34:15 pm »

How do you know it will destroy the team?  Your ridiculous knee-jerk reaction makes me believe you have an issue with a woman as our GM.  Not very enlightened for a professor.

She's been responsible for the cap for both the Browns and the Phins, and in both cases, she has done a good job.  She seems to be highly respected by other NFL front offices.  I'm not sure how this prepares her for evaluating talent, so I'm not suggesting she's the right choice, just that she has had some success.

I guess I look at these kinds of decisions differently.  I don't believe Ross and his staff are stupid.  I don't think they will put a valuable asset like a professional sports franchise in the hands of someone that is likely to screw it up. They must have faith in her.

If my choice is to trust the business judgement of a guy that has made 5 billion dollars OR the ravings of a phoney professor, I'm sticking with the billionaire.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray