Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:59:34 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  I'm convinced. Ireland and Phibin need to go.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: I'm convinced. Ireland and Phibin need to go.  (Read 15241 times)
Landshark
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 08:43:09 pm »

How do you know it will destroy the team?  Your ridiculous knee-jerk reaction makes me believe you have an issue with a woman as our GM. 

Her being a woman has nothing to do with this. 

She's been responsible for the cap for both the Browns and the Phins, and in both cases, she has done a good job.  She seems to be highly respected by other NFL front offices.  I'm not sure how this prepares her for evaluating talent, so I'm not suggesting she's the right choice, just that she has had some success.

This is why.  You don't need a tightwad at the top who only cares about the bottom line and has a tendency to lowball players.  Especially one who has NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER in talent evaluation.  Successful teams have FOOTBALL guys at the top.  You're make money in this business by winning, not cutting costs.
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 09:04:39 pm »

This is why.  You don't need a tightwad at the top who only cares about the bottom line and has a tendency to lowball players.  Especially one who has NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER in talent evaluation.  Successful teams have FOOTBALL guys at the top.  You're make money in this business by winning, not cutting costs.

I guess that's why the Patriots have been so successful for the past decade, because we all know they throw money at players.  You do realize that there is a cap, right?  It's about balance, and not over paying for players. 

Let's be honest.  Neither of us know what her experience is evaluating talent, but only you are making bombastic declarations based on zero knowledge of the situation.   When I look at her profile, I see someone with 23 years of experience in the NFL, five years as a VP of football operations.  Do you really think she has "NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER"?  I'm not saying she's the right person for the job, but your reaction is laughable.

Landshark
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 10:44:27 pm »

I guess that's why the Patriots have been so successful for the past decade, because we all know they throw money at players.  You do realize that there is a cap, right?  It's about balance, and not over paying for players. 

Let's be honest.  Neither of us know what her experience is evaluating talent, but only you are making bombastic declarations based on zero knowledge of the situation.   When I look at her profile, I see someone with 23 years of experience in the NFL, five years as a VP of football operations.  Do you really think she has "NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER"?  I'm not saying she's the right person for the job, but your reaction is laughable.

She is a business person, not a football person.  This team has had that model before and it hasn't worked. Anyway, why are we even getting worked up over this?  This is just speculation.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 12:39:25 am »

If Ross's plan is to keep Philbin but fire Ireland the logical GM choice are Brian Gaine and Dawne Aponte. Keep it in house.

Not flashy names or anything to get excited about but those are the two logical people to expect to get the job
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 01:32:41 am »

I am sure that Aponte is good at the salary cap stuff, and probably would make a solid GM, but if given the choice, I would rather have Miami's GM be some savant-type scouting guru who can spot NFL talent with a high level of consistency. We can get some quality bean counters to help with the books and the business side. I just want someone who can, to paraphrase Bill Parcells, pick out good groceries to stock the pantry.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 10:47:51 am »

the logical GM choice are Brian Gaine and Dawne Aponte. Keep it in house.

If the goal is to clean house (or even just send a message of cleaning house) than you can't keep it in house.  You need to look to an outsider.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 11:04:03 am »

I am sure that Aponte is good at the salary cap stuff, and probably would make a solid GM, but if given the choice, I would rather have Miami's GM be some savant-type scouting guru who can spot NFL talent with a high level of consistency. We can get some quality bean counters to help with the books and the business side. I just want someone who can, to paraphrase Bill Parcells, pick out good groceries to stock the pantry.

Aponte has built her reputation on her ability to manage the cap, not on talent evaluation, so it's impossible to argue that a savant scouting guru wouldn't be a better option.  Of course, every team is looking for that. 

In the end, I think a decision on a new GM may come down to how much Ross wants to keep Philbin.  It may be hard to lure in a top GM candidate if he is unable to put his own coaching staff in place.   
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 11:08:42 am »

they were predicting her as a possible first female GM last year but even then I questioned her ability to assess and predict talent.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 11:20:17 am »

Cause, yeah, the CURRENT talent speaks volumes about how great talent eval has been so far. She can't possibly be worse that what is there, and I doubt she'll tell one player to punch another. -EK
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 01:30:43 pm »

Cause, yeah, the CURRENT talent speaks volumes about how great talent eval has been so far. She can't possibly be worse that what is there...

This tells me that no matter how bad our current player evaluation may be at assessing football talent, your ability at assessing where rock bottom lies is even worse.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Landshark
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 01:58:16 pm »

Aponte has built her reputation on her ability to manage the cap, not on talent evaluation, so it's impossible to argue that a savant scouting guru wouldn't be a better option.  Of course, every team is looking for that. 

In the end, I think a decision on a new GM may come down to how much Ross wants to keep Philbin.  It may be hard to lure in a top GM candidate if he is unable to put his own coaching staff in place.   

She is an excellent cap manager and as such, she does play a vital role in this organization.  But I would not give her final say on player personnel until she's had some time learning under that savant scouting guru we all want.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:01:06 pm by Landshark » Logged
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 02:30:14 pm »

This tells me that no matter how bad our current player evaluation may be at assessing football talent, your ability at assessing where rock bottom lies is even worse.

Miami was just between by the worst team in the league. They're going to finish good enough to not get a top 5 or even top 10 draft pick, but not good enough to even sniff the playoffs. Again. So how much worse is rock bottom? -EK
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 02:35:07 pm »

Miami was just between by the worst team in the league. They're going to finish good enough to not get a top 5 or even top 10 draft pick, but not good enough to even sniff the playoffs. Again. So how much worse is rock bottom? -EK

Rock bottom beat you on Monday. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 02:40:26 pm »

Do you fail to notice the problem in saying "How much worse can it get than losing to an 0-8 team?"

Offhand, I'd say being 1-8?

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:22 pm »

^^^ Exactly, and I'd argue that Jacksonville is still a lower quality team than Tampa Bay.

The moment you confidently proclaim that things can't possibly get worse is the exact moment that you should expect things to get worse.

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray