Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:10:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins and Free Agency
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins and Free Agency  (Read 41735 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: February 15, 2014, 07:38:50 pm »

I'm sick of the Martin-Richie talk. Free Agency is less than 1 month away. March 11th at 4pm. Time to get back to actual football talk. Miami has a ton of cap space and the past 2 years Mark Dominick/Hickey in Tampa have spent like drunken sailors in free agency (Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, Eric Wright all got huge money deals among many other signings.) So I think with a ton of cap space Miami might be looking to go on a shopping spree.

The 4 big names I think who will be on Miami's radar and Miami will make a play for at least 1 of these guys are (in no special order)  ...

Brandon Albert---For obvious reasons, solves LT position. Top OT on the open market.

Anthony Collins--Probably the 2nd best OT on the open market (although that is debatable) and could be had at a lesser cost than Albert.

Arthur Jones--Younger and with a higher ceiling at this point than both Starks and Soliai. So if Miami wants to just move on totally from both Starks/Soliai Arthur Jones is the way to go.

Jimmy Graham--This is a long shot, I know but Graham might be on his way out with the Saints from the way it sounds. Saints have cap issues and Jimmy wants #1 WR (not TE) money! And he is fighting the "TE Franchise Tag" price and wants the "WR franchise tag price." Bill Polian is saying that if this goes to an arbitrator that Graham could win and get the WR Franchise tag price meaning the Saints won't franchise tag him and he hits the open market and her is gone cause the Saints would have to gut their roster to keep him. Graham played his college ball in Miami. The Fins would have the cap space to make a play for him. There could be a match here IF he gets on the open market which is about 50/50 right now.

To me the Free Agent offensive guard market is kinda weak, I would like to see Miami address the OT position in free agency then draft guards. That seems like the logical game-plan but who knows what they will do.  I think Brent Grimes will get franchise tagged and be pissed about it but oh well. I think Chris Clemons will be back but wouldn't be shocked if they let him walk and gave Jimmy Wilson his job. I know a few Fins beat reporters have said that is a real possibility. I think Matt Moore is gone to open up $4-5 mill of cap space and the Fins will sign a back-up QB much cheaper. I think Dimitri Patterson will be offered a pay cut if he says no he will be cut to open up $4-5 mill more cap space.

Two other names I think could be had relatively cheap but would fit in perfectly with what Miami needs are TE Brandon Pettigrew (would be a nice 1-2 punch with him and Clay) then have Sims as the 3rd TE.  Also at RB if Miami moves on from Daniel Thomas I would look at Toby Gerhart. Would be a nice compliment to Miller, he runs tough between the tackles and is a solid blocker. I think both Pettigrew and Gerhart would come at a relatively cheap price and fit in perfectly with what Miami needs. I mean you can't sign a superstar at every position and its about finding guys at a fair price who fit what you need.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:16 pm »

I might be the only one that believes it, but I think the 2nd area that Miami needs to concentrate on in free agency after offensive line is linebacker. In my opinion it wasn't Starks and Solaia that were to blame for the poor run defense it was the linebacking group. I never see Wheeler or Misi make an instinctive play. They are terrible in run support and both need to be replaced because honestly they aren't all that great at covering either. Wheeler may get a lot of tackles, the problem is that they are all 8 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Yes I know, I rag on Miami's defense a lot but considering the amount of free agents and draft picks Miami has spent on the defensive side of the ball lately, Miami's defense should be a WHOLE lot better. There's REAL talent on the defensive side of the ball with Starks, Soliai, Wake, Vernon, Patterson, Grimes, Jones etc. Where are the results? They are a decent bend but don't break defense, but that's really not that impressive. Yes the offense DOES need to get a whole lot better as well, but the offense took a step forward this season especially early on before Gibson went down, but the defense took a step back. A better offense should have made the defense's job easier and I think to some extent it did, but they couldn't help themselves. Time after time they would force a 3rd and long only to give up a first down. It was so frustrating to watch. When you don't have an offense that can methodically march down the field, you need a defense that get off the field to get the ball back and they couldn't. I remember everyone talking about how out of shape they were early in the year, well they weren't out of shape so much as they were just wore out by the 4th quarter because they couldn't get off the field. Miami is not going to take that step forward that we all want them to take until they get a defense that get some turnovers and force some punts. Holding the opponent to a 60 yard drive and a FG is NOT a win for the defense and Miami needs to start realizing it.

Anyone can rag on the offense, it's easy. It's time to start realizing that having a poor offense is NO excuse for a mediocre defense.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:33:56 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 08:32:56 pm »

^^^ But Misi and Ellerbe aren't going anywhere. If they do cut Wheeler (not sure they will) than you could replace him with Jenkins or even Jordan if they move him to OLB. While LB's are an issue, I don't see Miami making a big play for a LB in free agency. Could be wrong, who the hell knows what Hickey is like as a GM really.  The LB position is what it is right now. I don't see Miami spending money on a linebacker this offseason considering they need 4-5 new o-linemen and a pair of DT's
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:10:34 pm »

Sign Albert for LT and Zach Strief from New Orleans for RT. Draft that Notre Dame kid and move him inside, as I have heard people say that is where his future lies. Keep Pouncey because even though he is a dick, he is a great center and the only O-Line guy who didn't suck.

The O-Line needs 4 new players and we have cap space. We have linebacker needs, but we have to address the biggest weakness first and it's probably the biggest weakness in the entire NFL.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:39:48 pm »

Brandon Albert is a must.  Also need a RT either through FA, or a high draft pick.  If they keep Pouncey and get two top Offensive tackles, then can plug guys in @ guard.

Starks and Solaia have been bad since last May when they were named one of the top tackle tandems.  Wheeler played terrible, but you can't blame all of S&S poor play on the guy behind them.  One of them needs to go and be replaced.

I would really like to see the Dolphins pick up that bruiser of a RB or FB that can grind out the two yards needed on third downs, especially to kill the clock in the fourth quarter.
Landshark
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 02:47:38 pm »

I would really like to see the Dolphins pick up that bruiser of a RB or FB that can grind out the two yards needed on third downs, especially to kill the clock in the fourth quarter.

James Wilder out of FSU.  Big bruising back who is tough to bring down.  Doesn't have a lot of mileage on him as he was splitting carries his entire career.  He can be had in the later rounds.  A great replacement for that slug Daniel Thomas. And he can pass protect
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:46:14 pm by Landshark » Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 03:11:05 pm »

It's too bad Incognito is gone.  He could have drawn Riley Cooper here.  I'm sure they'd get along famously.
Run Ricky Run
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 03:11:17 pm »

I don't think the dolphins will be in the position to grind out the clock in the 4th quarter more than a couple times this yea.  
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 03:50:30 pm »

I don't think the dolphins will be in the position to grind out the clock in the 4th quarter more than a couple times this yea.  

Yeah, but it's those couple (or one) time per year that can make the difference of whether you reach the playoffs.
Run Ricky Run
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 04:19:16 pm »

Yeah, but it's those couple (or one) time per year that can make the difference of whether you reach the playoffs.

They are going to be like 5-11 this year, they have no chance to make the playoffs.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 04:20:24 pm »

They are going to be like 5-11 this year, they have no chance to make the playoffs.
Nice to see the doom and gloom for next year already in effect before FA or the draft.  Pathetic.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:24:55 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:20:46 pm »

They were 8-8 with the worst o-line the league has seen in a few years and they lost their starting TE in August......if the NEW O-line is even slightly better (christ they can't be worse) they will win more than 5 games!  Roll Eyes

Not to mention they won 8 games and got NOTHING out of their draft picks aside from the kicker. Jordan, Taylor, Thomas, Davis did almost nothing the entire season.

So improve the o-line and get at least one player in the first 3 rounds that does anything....I think they will win more than 5 games. Just sayin
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2014, 10:32:15 pm »

Multiple reporters are leaking the Fins have interest in Broncos offensive guard Zane Beadles.

Daniel Jeremiah and Tony Pauline both reporting the Broncos won't be able to keep him and Jags and Miami both want him. With Free Agency a couple weeks away "tampering season" is now in  full swing and stories like this will start to leak out.
Landshark
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2014, 10:39:47 pm »

They were 8-8 with the worst o-line the league has seen in a few years and they lost their starting TE in August......if the NEW O-line is even slightly better (christ they can't be worse) they will win more than 5 games!  Roll Eyes

Not to mention they won 8 games and got NOTHING out of their draft picks aside from the kicker. Jordan, Taylor, Thomas, Davis did almost nothing the entire season.

So improve the o-line and get at least one player in the first 3 rounds that does anything....I think they will win more than 5 games. Just sayin

I'd hate to say this but karma is a bitch.  Don't be surprised to see this team win only three or four games and Philbin get fired.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 10:41:59 pm »

I'd hate to say this but karma is a bitch.  Don't be surprised to see this team win only three or four games and Philbin get fired.

You are nuts. You went from 5 wins and are down to now only 3 or 4 wins. Give me a break.

Karma for what? Seriously!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray