Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:14:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins and Free Agency
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins and Free Agency  (Read 41736 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2014, 01:10:05 pm »

Other rumors coming out of Indy is the Fins aren't going to re-sign Chris Clemons from multiple reports

And keep an eye on OT Breno Giacomini from Seattle. He spent time on the Packers practice squad when Philbin was there and has been in Seattle the past couple years. Could be a RT the Fins get at a decent price.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2014, 02:13:38 pm »

Dolphins need to upgrade on the opposite side of Grimes, assuming they re-sign Grimes. Clemons got burned too much last year.

We pretty much need to nail this draft and free agency, unlike last year's whiff, otherwise 8-8 will be our ceiling.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2014, 02:20:27 pm »

Dolphins need to upgrade on the opposite side of Grimes, assuming they re-sign Grimes. Clemons got burned too much last year.

We pretty much need to nail this draft and free agency, unlike last year's whiff, otherwise 8-8 will be our ceiling.

Clemons had a great year last year, the Dolphins just want a more dynamic player (per the reports). Which also might be a smoke-screen to get Clemons to lower his price. The fact they are going public with this makes me think its a smoke-screen on some level.  And the Fins won't be in the market for a CB. After using high picks on Taylor and Davis plus with Patterson still on the roster (as of today)....CB isn't a need.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 06:51:15 pm »

2013 Salary Cap has been set at $133 mill. Meaning as of today the Dolphins have $44 mill in cap space to go shopping for players and give out extensions to current players if they like.

The Fins can make a couple moves and get over $50 mill in cap space (ie cut Matt Moore, Dimitri Patterson, Nate Gardner)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 12:10:37 am »

Matt Moore is a solid backup, but he makes way too much money. Tanny isn't going anywhere unless he gets injured, and if he does we are screwed anyway. So, cut or restructure Moore. Patterson is going to be cut or restructured. When he is on the field, he is very good, but that is few and far between.

New GM means he has no loyalty to old draft picks. I don't know what the hell happened to our drafted CB's, but they have no job security now that Ireland is gone. So, we still may pick up someone in free agency or the draft to play corner.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 12:52:50 am »

New GM means he has no loyalty to old draft picks. I don't know what the hell happened to our drafted CB's, but they have no job security now that Ireland is gone. So, we still may pick up someone in free agency or the draft to play corner.

Just because Hickey didn't bring those guys to Miami doesn't mean he can give them away for nothing in trade or cut them. Hickey just got on the job he isn't trying to lose it by giving away guys and not getting equal value in return. The whole "no loyalty" talk is laughable and nonsense

Both rookie CB's they drafted last year were hurt. Davis hurt his foot in late August. Taylor was hurt when they drafted them. It's hard enough to be a rookie in this league, to be injured and miss time its impossible to be a rookie in this league and have success.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 12:56:56 pm »

Some tidbits from the Miami Herald this morning...

-The Bucs tried to sign Matt Moore last year. Moore hasn't been asked to take a pay cut per the Miami Herald reporting. Reason to believe Hickey is a fan of Moore and won't get rid of him to open up $4 mill in cap space. We shall see though.

-Wheeler has a $6.4 mill cap hit whether he is on the team or cut. So, essentially it is pointless to cut him.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 04:43:50 pm »

Matt Moore has proven that he is a solid backup and not a starter, so I hope any thoughts towards a QB competition are met with a bat to the head.

As far as Wheeler goes, the Herald also has a source that says he became complacent once he signed his contract. Basically, thanks for the money, I am going to take a nap now.

Wouldn't be a shock if that was true.
Landshark
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 05:13:59 pm »

As far as Wheeler goes, the Herald also has a source that says he became complacent once he signed his contract. Basically, thanks for the money, I am going to take a nap now.

Wouldn't be a shock if that was true.

Another Karlos Dansby
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:30:15 am by Landshark » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 11:28:13 pm »

Brent Grimes will not be franchised, but he is expected to re-sign very soon. So, if this happens that would be a good start to free agency after this ridiculous offseason.
Landshark
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 10:36:14 am »

Grimes just inked a multiyear extension. No franchise tag needed.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 10:39:57 am »

^^^ That's good news.  Grimes was one of my favorites last season.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 01:13:17 pm »

Dolphins next stop on D’Qwell Jackson’s victory tour

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/dolphins-next-stop-on-dqwell-jacksons-victory-tour/

Would be a big improvement over Wheeler.
Landshark
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 01:28:46 pm »

Dolphins next stop on D’Qwell Jackson’s victory tour

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/03/dolphins-next-stop-on-dqwell-jacksons-victory-tour/

Would be a big improvement over Wheeler.

I'd draft a young linebacker to replace Wheeler after this year.  The team takes a $6.4 million cap hit whether they cut him or not
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 02:51:35 pm »

If you buy into PFF rankings Jackson was the 42nd best MLB in the NFL last year. Played very poor.

IF Miami signs him that probably moves Ellerbee to OLB opposite Misi, Jackson to MLB and then Wheeler will be cut as there is no need for him at that point. And Jenkins is the 4th LB to play in the nickle I would guess
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray