Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:39:20 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  15 yard penalty for use of a certain word
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: 15 yard penalty for use of a certain word  (Read 16086 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: February 21, 2014, 07:18:31 pm »

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24451604/nfl-to-adopt-15-yard-penalty-for-use-of-racial-slur

If a ref hears a player use the "N-word" on the field, a 15 yard penalty might be coming. Rule could be passed next month at owners meeting
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 01:45:05 pm »

What's the penalty gonna be for fat momma jokes???
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »

This is the worst rule change idea I've ever heard. Absolutely going too far.

What happens on the field (or in the locker room, for that matter) is not subject to public consumption.
Landshark
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »

This is going to open the door for Kim Jong Goodell to hand out more fines and suspensions
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:52:04 pm »

Is it that common or is this just PR bullshit? I imagine if a white person calls a black person the N Word, the ass whooping he would get from that guy is worse than the 15 yards. Not to mention, your own black teammates would want nothing to do with you.

Seems like they might as well give 15 yard penalties for rape too.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 08:57:14 pm »

I find this very difficult to fairly legislate.

The N-Word is the most unique word in our language.  It is everything from a hateful slur, a descriptor, a filler word, a term of endearment, and a curse.  It varies with intent, who the speaker is, who it is directed towards, and who hears it?

Is it a blanket fine that gets 15 regardless of inflection or intent?  Are you leaving that up to the refs?

I don't think a black guy congratulating his own white teammate, saying "nice play, nigga" is the same thing as a white guy getting into his black opponent's head by calling him a "useless n*****".

And there are 50 variations between those two on the spectrum.  I think it best for the league not to try to legislate.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 09:28:45 pm »

i'm ok with fining every single variation and intent .. it has no place in a professional setting .. end of story .. if you can't regulate your mouth on the field of play you don't deserve your paycheck
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 11:21:25 pm »

Please bash each other's heads in, but watch what you say!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 11:52:29 pm »

I think that it's also going to have a disproportionate affect on black players that it's supposedly trying to protect.  It's more in their lexicon. 

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 12:03:20 pm »

I imagine if a white person calls a black person the N Word, the ass whooping he would get from that guy is worse than the 15 yards.

Unless your Ritchie Incognito and your any honorary black person.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 12:43:19 pm »

I don't see why this policy should be an issue at all.

Every place I have ever worked, the penalty would be substantially higher for such an offense  -- fired.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 12:47:35 pm »

I don't see why this policy should be an issue at all.

Every place I have ever worked, the penalty would be substantially higher for such an offense  -- fired.

Always a bad argument I see time and time again.  The NFL isn't the same as the average workplace.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 12:55:13 pm »

Always a bad argument I see time and time again.  The NFL isn't the same as the average workplace.

THAT is a bad argument I see time and time again.  Just because you play a kid's game for employment is not an excuse to do whatever you want. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 01:14:50 pm »

THAT is a bad argument I see time and time again.  Just because you play a kid's game for employment is not an excuse to do whatever you want. 
A kid's game?  Putting your body on the line everyday is a kid's game?  Poor way to try and debunk an argument.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the NFL is not, and never will be your average workplace.  It's basis is violence, pure and simple.  To tell a guy he has to violently crash into another human being, but make sure he doesn't say any meansie words is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone racial slurs, but by making this rule, the NFL is opening another can of worms to a league that has already had too many regulations put on it recently.  The NFL is being ruined by these yearly rule additions, when frankly, it wasn't broken to begin with.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 03:26:21 pm »

Soon they will implement the 10 yard penalty for "hurting the other guy's feelings".   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray