Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:12:37 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  15 yard penalty for use of a certain word
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: 15 yard penalty for use of a certain word  (Read 16151 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 01:47:00 pm »

Could the pro use of the word n***** please explain the benefits of allowing the use of this word.  Not just I hate the PC crowd or it has always been that way, but how players calling each other n***** actually enhances your game day experience. 

I can understand how there is two sides to PI, roughing the passer, more or less replay, but I fail to understand how anyone's game time experience is enhanced by players calling each other n*****.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 01:58:07 pm »

Who here is arguing that the game is enhanced by use of the n-word?  I haven't seen that once.  Methinks you may be misunderstanding the discussion...
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 04:46:36 pm »

Could the pro use of the word n***** please explain the benefits of allowing the use of this word.  Not just I hate the PC crowd or it has always been that way, but how players calling each other n***** actually enhances your game day experience. 

I can understand how there is two sides to PI, roughing the passer, more or less replay, but I fail to understand how anyone's game time experience is enhanced by players calling each other n*****.   

If you are referring to my post, here goes. I am not "pro use" of the word. However, I'm not explicitly against it either. I don't think it benefits mine or anyone else game day, but I don't see how it impacts it negatively either. If it is said on the field, you or I never hear it. If a sissy NFL player like Martin gets his feeling hurt, fuck em. They don't deserve the overpaid salary and job if that's the case. As it is, we have too many silly rules in the NFL and too many silly rules in the country in general.

On a side note, I also don't find any other word offensive. You see, no word is any worse than any other word. They are just sounds to convey a meaning. Using, saying, or typing  the abbreviation "N word", "n*****", or any other of that silliness is no different than using, saying, or typing n*****. We all know what you mean and the word instantly pops in our head anyhow. So you tell me what's the difference?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 11:23:23 am »

Could the pro use of the word n***** please explain the benefits of allowing the use of this word. 

I will try to answer your question.  I don't think there is a benefit to allowing it, so much as there is a cost to disallowing it.  I think this might be a solution looking for a problem.

Rules or regulations for the sake of adding new rules and regulations hurts things, in general.  Every rule or regulation you add, whether in sports or in business, has positives and negatives.  So you have to weigh the cost/benefit of each decision.  In general, I think the best course of action is no action unless the benefits of such a change clearly are greater than the costs.  I don't feel that this criteria is being met in this case.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 12:04:58 pm »

^^ The benefit is PR glory similar to the "benefit" the NBA got by instituting a dress code.  It doesn't affect anything on the court but makes them look nice.

This is a step by the NFL to try to "eliminate" an offensive word from everyday usage by its players.  Bravo!  But penalizing for it on the field would be the equivalent of the NBA awarding free throws because a player didn't dress properly entering the stadium.  Completely irrelevant.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 12:38:45 pm »

I would like to know how they would penalize the n-word but still allow profanity.

Unless they are planning on also prohibiting profanity on the field?

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 06:11:26 pm »

I would like to know how they would penalize the n-word but still allow profanity.

The same way that they would penalize it, but Goodell has publically stated that the name "Redskin" is represents "a positive meaning distinct from any disparagement that could be viewed in some other context." -EK
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:16 am »

^^ The benefit is PR glory similar to the "benefit" the NBA got by instituting a dress code.  It doesn't affect anything on the court but makes them look nice.

This is a step by the NFL to try to "eliminate" an offensive word from everyday usage by its players.  Bravo!  But penalizing for it on the field would be the equivalent of the NBA awarding free throws because a player didn't dress properly entering the stadium.  Completely irrelevant.
I still think the more people focus on the word the more power it has. The more you illiminate it the more it becomes taboo. That's exactly why today's youth are using it. It doesn't hold the same power as it did to the generations before.

Someone said how the term kyke isn't even used any longer and it used to be a huge racist term. For that matter hooligan and vandal were once derogatory terms for filthy, nasty drunken Irish and disgusting Germans. Words only have power if you let them and we give way too much power to that word.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2014, 09:44:42 pm »

IF this becomes a rule this might one of those rules they enforce in the preseason but when the season starts everyone sorta forgets about and you see called in very rare circumstances
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray