Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:06:54 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins team record 58 sacks in review
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins team record 58 sacks in review  (Read 13337 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:14:15 pm »

I saw this link on Twitter and thought it was interesting...  Its a summary of all 58 sacks the Dolphins o-line let up last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZourGM6KRo

Now, I went through and tallied who I think was at fault for each to try to get a handle on what the real problem was...  The results are somewhat surprising:

Tyson Clabo: 10
Bryant McKinnie: 9
Jonathan Martin: 7
Coverage/holding ball too long: 6
Edge blitz not picked up: 5
RB missing blitz pickup: 5
Richie Incognito: 4
John Jerry: 4
Nate Garner: 3
Tight Ends: 2
Sam Brenner: 1
Mike Pouncey: 1

(for some reason there was one play against the Colts that was an incomplete pass that I didn't count)

Notes:
- Clabo was clearly the worst, as most of us knew, but most of his "highlights" came during or before the first Buffalo game.  I think he only gave up 3-4 the second half of the season
- McKinnie got absolutely abused during the second Buffalo game.
- For having only played half the season, McKinnie's numbers look very bad.
- For having played every game, Mike Pouncey only gave up 1 sack all season.
- Considering he only played 7 games, Jonathan Martin's 7 sacks were on pace for team worst.

Going Forward:
The Dolphins need to work on blitz pickups by the backs, and letting Tannehill take off with the ball.  There are at least 16 sacks that could have been avoided if there is improvement in these areas.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:21:03 pm by Brian Fein » Logged
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:17:31 pm »

Going Forward:
The Dolphins need to work on blitz pickups by the backs, and letting Tannehill take off with the ball.  There are at least 16 sacks that could have been avoided if there is improvement in these areas.

It's a whole new offense this year so some of the problems will go away with the way the offense is just run overall. Sherman was clueless in a lot of areas. Not having a "rolling pocket" at times so Tannehill wasn't a sitting duck and not trying to hide weak-spots and give our tackles help when they were having bad days...stuff like that.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:06:07 pm »

- Considering he only played 7 games, Jonathan Martin's 7 sacks were on pace for team worst.
Hadn't Clabo already allowed more sacks (in one fewer game) than Martin by the time Martin left?

It's hard to say that Martin was "on pace for team worst" when someone else was already on a worse pace when he left.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:08:36 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 04:15:36 pm »

^^ by the end of the season, Clabo had 10.  Martin was "on pace for" 1 per game, or 16, which would have been the team's worst.

And, no, by the time he left, he was leading Clabo by 1.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:20:23 pm »

Is there a reason you defend Martin at every turn?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 05:44:33 pm »

by the end of the season, Clabo had 10.  Martin was "on pace for" 1 per game, or 16, which would have been the team's worst.
The fact remains that Clabo was on an even worse pace (more sacks in fewer games) when Martin left.

And, no, by the time he left, he was leading Clabo by 1.
Clabo gave up 8 sacks in his first 6 games (and didn't play in the 7th game).

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 05:48:43 pm »

You're arguing who's the stinkier turd.  They both sucked, who cares?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 06:08:44 pm »

Based on that video above I don't see how they give Martin 7 sacks for the year. I counted 8 in his first 5 games. I thought the guy that Martin seemed to be responsible for hit the QB first...

1 vs Cleveland (11:15)
1 vs Indy (14:00) At least a 1/2 sack here. 2 guys hitting Tannehill at the same time, not sure which guy got credit for the sack.
2 vs Atl  (4:56), (10:53) Missed blitz pickup (maybe this is only a 1/2 sack since there are 3 guys hitting Tannehill almost together any which could have been the first one.)
2 vs NO  (9:03), (8:09)
2 vs Bal (11:30), (5:24)

How did you count 7 for Martin? Is he only getting tagged for 1/2 sacks on those 2 or is one or the other credited to someone else?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 06:37:55 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 10:06:04 am »

The fact remains that Clabo was on an even worse pace (more sacks in fewer games) when Martin left.
Clabo gave up 8 sacks in his first 6 games (and didn't play in the 7th game).
Well, Clabo finished the season, and gave up 2 sacks in the final 9 games.  Maybe if Martin didn't WALK OUT ON HIS TEAM, you'd have an argument.  Too bad we'll never find out.

How did you count 7 for Martin? Is he only getting tagged for 1/2 sacks on those 2 or is one or the other credited to someone else?
I did the counting, and I didn't assign "half" sacks.  I will go back and review, but its possible that I felt that one of them someone else was MORE at fault than Martin.

edit to add - I reviewed, the play vs Atlanta at 2:17 where Tannehill got buried I gave to John Jerry because he looked like he got blown off his block early and his man was the first there.  I debated that one for a while, because that was everyone's mistake.  It could go either way, I guess.  I could definitely see giving that one to Martin as well.

The 1 against Indy that you cite was an incomplete pass, not sure why it was counted as a sack.  I didn't count that one for anyone
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:16:50 am by Brian Fein » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 12:00:50 pm »

The 1 against Indy that you cite was an incomplete pass, not sure why it was counted as a sack.  I didn't count that one for anyone
Ah. I'm wondering if they called that a fumble so it was a sack? That was confusing for me as well, but I assumed there was a reason that it was credited as a sack. That might be where we differ and why Martin was only credited with 7.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:04:47 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 12:33:17 pm »

Ah. I'm wondering if they called that a fumble so it was a sack? That was confusing for me as well, but I assumed there was a reason that it was credited as a sack. That might be where we differ and why Martin was only credited with 7.
You know, its possible.  Now that you say it I seem to remember a play being reviewed and reversed as a fumble...
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 07:22:39 pm »

It's amazing Tannehill didn't cough up the ball more given the complete lack of protection from the tackle position all year.

It was a position we badly needed to fix, hopefully with the moves made to date we are on the way to that now.
RichThrawn

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 06:38:44 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZourGM6KRo

Although blame can be spread for all 58 sacks, it should be clear to most that on an overwhelming majority of these, Tannehill simply wasn't getting time to do anything.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 01:45:29 pm by RichThrawn » Logged

stealth3ltt

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:57 am »

Wow that's a bad video.    I could hardly watch it all.    If Miami cut that sack total in half, how many more games could they have won last year?   How many drives were stalled because of bad sacks?   It's amazing they won as many as they did with that swiss cheese offensive line.      Man that was bad. 
RichThrawn

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 10:39:27 am »

Wow that's a bad video.    I could hardly watch it all.    If Miami cut that sack total in half, how many more games could they have won last year?   How many drives were stalled because of bad sacks?   It's amazing they won as many as they did with that swiss cheese offensive line.      Man that was bad. 

And you have to wonder why Pouncey was kept but Jerry was not despite the fact that the Wells report implicated them both.  It seems like this new GM's philosophy is to get rid of you if you're a bad person and a bad player.  But if you're a bad person and a good player, here's a fat contract offer and please join our team.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray