Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:52:55 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins team record 58 sacks in review
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins team record 58 sacks in review  (Read 13353 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 01:25:20 pm »

^^ Fine, you're allowed to think that, and I still think that's ridiculous.  It would make the Dolphins even a bigger laughing stock than they already are.
Were the Dolphins a laughingstock when they fired Cameron after one year to bring in Parcells?

If Philbin/Hickey get fired, it will be because someone like Cowher or Jon Gruden becomes available.  If Ross lands someone like that, "laughingstock" won't apply, regardless of the circumstances.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 01:26:29 pm »

If Philbin/Hickey get fired, it will be because someone like Cowher or Jon Gruden becomes available. 

They are available. They are happy with their current positions though.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »

They are available. They are happy with their current positions though.

TODAY they are happy. In 9 months will they still be? Nobody knows.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 02:02:21 pm »

^^ Fine, you're allowed to think that, and I still think that's ridiculous.  It would make the Dolphins even a bigger laughing stock than they already are.
I have to agree with Brian here. In the event of a losing season Hickey will be given the task of deciding Philbin's fate which will probably mean getting rid of him, but Hickey will be staying.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2014, 02:10:20 pm »

I have to agree with Brian here. In the event of a losing season Hickey will be given the task of deciding Philbin's fate which will probably mean getting rid of him, but Hickey will be staying.

Zero chance in hell of that happening. If Hickey was their 1st (hell or even 2nd) choice then you may have a point. The fact that Farmer, Dawson, and Caserio flat out turned the job down. And numerous others who Miami were hot after refused to even interview such as Licht, Gamble, Decosta, Paton, and McCloughan before Miami even considered or brough in Hickey for a first interview.  That doesn't give Hickey a big vote of confidence from Ross or the Dolphins.  It's only a 2 year deal as well, which is all you need to know. Same amount of time Philbin has left on his deal. They sink or swim together
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 02:15:49 pm »

Nobody wanted the GM job THIS time around...
Exactly!

...so what will change?!
Everthing! I think you are SEVERELY overestimating the role that Ross has or wants on the team. He's NOT a hands on owner who wants to oversee the day to day stuff and hire a new GM everytime the team doesn't perform well. He hired Hickey to do a job, to make the Dolphins better however he can. Ross understands that takes time. Ross wanted to give Philbin one more year at the reigns and he wanted Hickey to have a year under his belt before he started making decisions about the head coach, but I can easily see Ross telling Hickey at the end of next year if things don't go well that it's his decision on whether or not to fire Philbin and if he decides to fire Philbin then he'll also have to find a replacement that is suitable to Ross. If we were talking about Jerry Jones or some other owner where running the football team is their only job then you would be right, but that's not Ross. That's not who he is and it's not who he wants to be. Why do you think it took as long as it did to get rid of Ireland? Ireland wasn't even Ross' hire he was already here when he took over. You think he's gonna fire the guy that he hired one year later? I don't see it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:22:52 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 02:38:53 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly with the "Philbin's on the hot seat; Hickey isn't" comments. If Ross axed Hickey after his first year as GM, after almost no one wanted the job last year, then he'd end up having to fill the position with an ad on craigslist.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 02:44:39 pm »

Exactly!
Everthing! I think you are SEVERELY overestimating the role that Ross has or wants on the team. He's NOT a hands on owner who wants to oversee the day to day stuff and hire a new GM everytime the team doesn't perform well. He hired Hickey to do a job, to make the Dolphins better however he can. Ross understands that takes time. Ross wanted to give Philbin one more year at the reigns and he wanted Hickey to have a year under his belt before he started making decisions about the head coach, but I can easily see Ross telling Hickey at the end of next year if things don't go well that it's his decision on whether or not to fire Philbin and if he decides to fire Philbin then he'll also have to find a replacement that is suitable to Ross. If we were talking about Jerry Jones or some other owner where running the football team is their only job then you would be right, but that's not Ross. That's not who he is and it's not who he wants to be. Why do you think it took as long as it did to get rid of Ireland? Ireland wasn't even Ross' hire he was already here when he took over. You think he's gonna fire the guy that he hired one year later? I don't see it.

Did you just happen to forget the new role Dawn Aponte has in Miami?!  Aponte is running the show now, Ross put her in that role to keep his hands clean from the messes and put some distance between himself and the operation of the team.

The same Ross who wanted to Fire Sparano one year after owning the team....yeah I think he and Aponte will have no problem firing Hickey and Philbin and doing a total housecleaning if its a 6 or 7 win team. Especially as he pushes for the stadium upgrades and needs fan support and support of the local politicians. If they fail this year he will need to create a buzz with a new flashy hire.  That means good bye Hickey and Philbin.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 02:48:04 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly with the "Philbin's on the hot seat; Hickey isn't" comments. If Ross axed Hickey after his first year as GM, after almost no one wanted the job last year, then he'd end up having to fill the position with an ad on craigslist.

Actually it would be easier to fill the job because then the new GM can have a say in who the coach is (remember Ireland wanted McCoy NOT Philbin, Ross ignored him.) Or if its a big name proven coach he can hand pick his own GM. Nobody is forced on anyone and you can have a well run working unit.

Going to Rd 3 of lets force a HC on a GM (or vice versa) is just insanity. It won't happen. Hence Hickey ONLY getting a 2 year deal and not 4 or 5 like almost ALL GM's do in this league when they are hired.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 04:16:16 pm »

Did you just happen to forget the new role Dawn Aponte has in Miami?!  Aponte is running the show now, Ross put her in that role to keep his hands clean from the messes and put some distance between himself and the operation of the team.
Actually I did forget Aponte till you mentioned it. I really hope that Ross isn't relying on her to make decisions about the coach or roster. I thought her expertise was in contracts, I thought her football knowledge was limited. If you are right, god help us.  Cry

The same Ross who wanted to Fire Sparano one year after owning the team....
Different situation because he didn't hire Sparano. Firing the guy you just hired makes it look like you didn't know what the heck you were doing when you hired him.

I think what you are saying Mike may make the most sense from a completely X's and O's perspective but it doesn't from an image standpoint. It's almost the exact opposite stance you are taking on Incognito. You are saying they won't do it because it would be an image problem even if it could help from the X's and O's standpoint. I'm having a hard time understanding how you can be so adamant one way for one situation and take the exact opposite stance on the other situation.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:49:50 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

RichThrawn

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 04:50:03 pm »

Different situation because he didn't hire Sparano. Firing the guy you just hired makes it look like you didn't know what the heck you were doing when you hired him.

I think what you are saying Mike may make the most sense from a completely X's and O's perspective but it doesn't from an image standpoint. It's almost the exact opposite stance you are taking on Incognito. You are saying they won't do it because it would be an image problem even if it could help from the X's and O's standpoint. I'm having a hard time understanding how you can be so adamant one way for one situation and take the exact opposite stance on the other situation.

Because bringing in Incognito would hurt the team. A flashy coach or GM hire would help the team.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2014, 06:12:03 pm »

Let's just hope the Dolphins win enough games and have enough success to where nobody will get fired. But for those of you thinking Hickey with his stinkin 2 year contract makes him safe beyond this year....well I hate to break it to ya lol
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 06:13:49 pm »

That's a horrible analogy. One guy is a clear lunatic who can't be trusted to behave in an NFL lockeroom or in an NFL atmosphere in general. Bad image in that way. The other is making a move at GM/HC because the current guys just didn't get the job done. And one in which Philbin was given 3 years and the GM was like 7th or 8th on the list of guys they actually wanted.  The Dolphins have no strong ties to Hickey because they didn't want him, he was just the only guy not named Brian Gaine who would take the job.  Apples and Oranges and not a fair analogy at all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:15:28 pm by MikeO » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2014, 06:39:20 pm »

Let's just hope the Dolphins win enough games and have enough success to where nobody will get fired. But for those of you thinking Hickey with his stinkin 2 year contract makes him safe beyond this yearwho have any opinions that don't match up exactly with my own....well I hate to break it to ya lol

Quote edited to provide a "big picture" reality check...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 04:19:55 pm »

No personal attacks; stay on topic, please.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray