Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:42:28 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins team record 58 sacks in review
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins team record 58 sacks in review  (Read 13342 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 04:40:14 pm »

Apples and Oranges and not a fair analogy at all.
They are different situations clearly, but in either case I think it boils down to whether or not you care more about the on the field production or the image the team projects. Personally I'm more concerned with the on the field production and couldn't give a rats ass what anyone thinks about the image the Dolphins portray. Winning cures everything including your image, so that's the direction I lean. Ross, I'm not so sure about and that's why I don't think he'll can Hickey after 1 bad season unless of course the season is so bad that it would hurt the image to keep him. Something like a 1 or 2 win season and all bets are off.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:44:21 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 06:43:41 pm »

Ross, I'm not so sure about and that's why I don't think he'll can Hickey after 1 bad season unless of course the season is so bad that it would hurt the image to keep him. Something like a 1 or 2 win season and all bets are off.

If he loves Hickey so much then why only a 2 year contract? Give him 4 or 5 years like every other new hire GM gets. Hickey and Philbin are tied at the hip. Hickey got 2 years so he and Philbin's deals expire at the same time. Aponte/Ross did that for a reason. They both stay or they both go.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 06:49:59 pm »

If he loves Hickey so much then why only a 2 year contract? Give him 4 or 5 years like every other new hire GM gets. Hickey and Philbin are tied at the hip. Hickey got 2 years so he and Philbin's deals expire at the same time. Aponte/Ross did that for a reason. They both stay or they both go.
2 years is still more then 1. After 2 years, if there's no progress, sure get rid of them both and bring in all new and start fresh. I just don't see it after 1 year unless like I said it goes REALLY south.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 06:52:32 pm »

2 years is still more then 1. After 2 years, if there's no progress, sure get rid of them both and bring in all new and start fresh. I just don't see it after 1 year unless like I said it goes REALLY south.

But when a head coach or GM is heading into the last year of their deal (ie Lame Duck year) they get an extension or fired 9 times out of 10. You NEVER want a lame duck head coach and GM. Scares away free agents and its tough for the players to respect them.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2014, 08:44:01 am »

Last year of your deal does not mean lame duck for a GM, or even a head coach.  It means "perform or else"

Just because he is in the last year of his contract, there's no reason to believe that, if things go well and there is notable improvement, he won't get an extension.  Its only "lame duck" if it is publicly stated that he will not be renewed.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2014, 08:55:01 am »

Last year of your deal does not mean lame duck for a GM, or even a head coach.  It means "perform or else"

Just because he is in the last year of his contract, there's no reason to believe that, if things go well and there is notable improvement, he won't get an extension.  Its only "lame duck" if it is publicly stated that he will not be renewed.

Your a "lame duck" Brian if you are going in your last year of your deal as a coach or GM with no extension given. It's the very definition of it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 08:56:54 am by MikeO » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2014, 09:33:58 am »

Your a "lame duck" Brian if you are going in your last year of your deal as a coach or GM with no extension given. It's the very definition of it.

Not quite. I don't think I've ever heard of a coach referred to as lame duck (it is usually for politics) but by definition a replacement needs to have been named in order to be a lame duck.

lame ducknoun
1. an elected official or group of officials, as a legislator, continuing in office during the period between an election defeat and a successor's assumption of office.
2. a president who is completing a term of office and chooses not to run or is ineligible to run for reelection.
3. a person finishing a term of employment after a replacement has been chosen.
4. anything soon to be supplanted by another that is more efficient, economical, etc.
5. a person or thing that is disabled, helpless, ineffective, or inefficient.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lame+duck
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2014, 09:37:20 am »

5. a person or thing that is disabled, helpless, ineffective, or inefficient.

Describes every head coach we have had since Shula
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2014, 09:37:50 am »

"lame duck" is the term given to a president who is serving his term through January 22nd, even though his replacement has already been named.  He is a lame duck from November to January.

Are you telling me that, since Obama has no hope of being re-elected, he is a lame duck right now?  That's your reasoning...

You can type with authority and make yourself sound right but you're not.  If a GM is in the last year of his contract, and performs, of course he will get his extension.  But he needs to perform.  If not, then he can hit the road, no strings attached.

The term "lame duck" is only applicable if you have NO HOPE of returning.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2014, 09:42:23 am »

"lame duck" is the term given to a president who is serving his term through January 22nd, even though his replacement has already been named.  He is a lame duck from November to January.

Are you telling me that, since Obama has no hope of being re-elected, he is a lame duck right now?  That's your reasoning...

You can type with authority and make yourself sound right but you're not.  If a GM is in the last year of his contract, and performs, of course he will get his extension.  But he needs to perform.  If not, then he can hit the road, no strings attached.

The term "lame duck" is only applicable if you have NO HOPE of returning.

Agree to disagree on the term and how its used. Bottom line is in the NFL you almost NEVER see a head coach or GM go into the final year of their deal without an extension. You almost never see a head coach coach the final year of his deal, he gets an extension going into that final year or is fired. Same for GM's.

After this year Philbin/Hickey will get an extension or fired. Bank on it!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2014, 12:18:18 am »

Agree to disagree on the term and how its used. Bottom line is in the NFL you almost NEVER see a head coach or GM go into the final year of their deal without an extension.
I wouldn't say it's that uncommon. Didn't that just happen with Rex Ryan last year? Everyone assumed he was gone, but nope.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2014, 07:05:31 am »

I wouldn't say it's that uncommon. Didn't that just happen with Rex Ryan last year? Everyone assumed he was gone, but nope.

NOPE, Rex had 2 years left on his deal. This upcoming season would have been his final year and they gave him an extension after last season because that's what NFL teams do. When you enter the final year of your deal you get a new deal or are fired.

In fact here is how LaCanfora reported it....interesting term he used.....just sayin!
https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/423884428604366848
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2014, 10:24:50 am »

Ok, but there have been a few lately and not all of these guys were just hired one year before. John Fox is in the final year of his contract this year and he's done fairly well with Denver so not everyone is just given an extension or canned before their last year of a contract. Again I want to stress that I'm not saying that there's no way that they don't let Hickey go after one year, I'm just saying it's gonna take more than a 6-10 season to do it.

http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2011-01-08/story/nfl-confidential-lame-duck-coaches-no-longer-rare-birds

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:36:28 am by Pappy13 » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2014, 11:04:25 am »

Ok, but there have been a few lately and not all of these guys were just hired one year before. John Fox is in the final year of his contract this year and he's done fairly well with Denver so not everyone is just given an extension or canned before their last year of a contract. Again I want to stress that I'm not saying that there's no way that they don't let Hickey go after one year, I'm just saying it's gonna take more than a 6-10 season to do it.

http://members.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2011-01-08/story/nfl-confidential-lame-duck-coaches-no-longer-rare-birds

John Fox this offseason got a 3 year extension worth $16.5 mill. So that example doesn't work. Try again!

Hickey and Philbin are tied at the hip. They gave Hickey ONLY 2 years so he and Philbin's contract end at the same time. So they get extended together or fired together. If you want to put your head in the sane on this one go for it, but no GM who is hired is given 2 years. Most get 4 or 5 year deals. The Dolphins didn't want Hickey,, they tried hiring a laundry list of guys before him!! He was their 7th or 8th choice and the ONLY person who would take the job. There is no strong tie to him. But if you want to believe otherwise feel free to be wrong.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2014, 11:47:46 am »

John Fox this offseason got a 3 year extension worth $16.5 mill. So that example doesn't work. Try again!
Ah, I hadn't seen that, I see now it just happened this month.

Hickey and Philbin are tied at the hip. They gave Hickey ONLY 2 years so he and Philbin's contract end at the same time. So they get extended together or fired together.
And Ross told you this, yes?

If you want to put your head in the sane on this one go for it, but no GM who is hired is given 2 years. Most get 4 or 5 year deals.
So because he was given 2 years then it HAS to be that it was for the SOLE reason to tie him to Philbin's contract? Not maybe that he wasn't sure how Hickey would do as a first year GM and would like to see him prove himself a bit before he commits to 5 years knowing full well that if he does well his first year or 2 he can extend the contract and if he does POORLY then not?

The Dolphins didn't want Hickey,,
And Ross told you this, yes?

they tried hiring a laundry list of guys before him!!
Actually they didn't, they had several guys they either interviewed for the position or they wanted to talk to. That's what an interview session is for, to find out if you want to the hire him.

He was their 7th or 8th choice and the ONLY person who would take the job.
As far as we know he's the ONLY person they offered the job to. Just because you get an interview or would like to be interviewed doesn't mean you have been offered a job. Generally speaking they don't offer you a job until after the interview.

There is no strong tie to him. But if you want to believe otherwise feel free to be wrong.
My opinion is just that, my opinion which like yours means next to nothing, but I never said there was a strong tie to him, only that I believed a 6 win season wouldn't mean that they would fire him. Maybe they fire Philbin and let him bring in who he wants as head coach and he's tied to that guy. Maybe they just don't give either Philbin or him an extension and they both become lame ducks and they see where the chips fall in 2015. Maybe they give him an extension anyway. Who the hell knows what they'll do a year from now. I sure don't. I don't think you do either.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:10:35 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray