Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:47 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins team record 58 sacks in review
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins team record 58 sacks in review  (Read 13119 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 07:24:19 pm »

And you have to wonder why Pouncey was kept but Jerry was not despite the fact that the Wells report implicated them both.  It seems like this new GM's philosophy is to get rid of you if you're a bad person and a bad player.  But if you're a bad person and a good player, here's a fat contract offer and please join our team.
Sounds like the same philosophy most professional sports teams have.  Pouncey didn't even kill another human, so he's far from the most glaring example.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 07:42:59 pm »

Wow that's a bad video.    I could hardly watch it all.    If Miami cut that sack total in half, how many more games could they have won last year?   How many drives were stalled because of bad sacks?   It's amazing they won as many as they did with that swiss cheese offensive line.      Man that was bad. 

Nothing has really changed when it comes to the o-line.  Pouncey stays and they added Albert. After that they got garbage and no depth. Better hope Martin falls to them at 19 or else its gonna be another real long year on the o-line. Starting 2 rookies and Shelly Smith (an unproven guy who has limited reps)....a recipe for disaster.  With $16 mill or so under the cap it wouldn't have hurt to spend $1-$2 mill on another proven o-linemen. Still aroudn $14 mill or so under the cap and would be in much better shape heading into the draft.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 05:08:14 pm »

^^There's still time to make changes after the Draft. There's probably not much left in Free Agency but there's always trade possibilities. I still say it would be smart for Miami to sign Incognito to some really team friendly contract as an insurance policy. I know they won't do it, but I still think it would be smart to do. They would get crucified for it, but honestly people forget all about that stuff a month later. By the time the season was a month old everyone would have forgotten all about it. If he can help the team win, I'm all for it. I still don't think he's a bad guy, at least not as bad as some people think he is. Martin is back in the NFL, it's time to let Incognito back in as well.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 05:54:03 pm »

^^There's still time to make changes after the Draft. There's probably not much left in Free Agency but there's always trade possibilities. I still say it would be smart for Miami to sign Incognito to some really team friendly contract as an insurance policy. I know they won't do it, but I still think it would be smart to do. They would get crucified for it, but honestly people forget all about that stuff a month later. By the time the season was a month old everyone would have forgotten all about it. If he can help the team win, I'm all for it. I still don't think he's a bad guy, at least not as bad as some people think he is. Martin is back in the NFL, it's time to let Incognito back in as well.

They are NOT signing Incognito. Not in a million years, nobody is going to forget about that story anytime soon.

There is nothing left in free agency per the way of quality offensive linemen. There will be no trades made after the draft for anyone that is any good. Just for other teams garbage. The o-line is a disaster still, and the front office (or at least Hickey/Philbin)  must be under the impression they have more than one offseason to fix it. Little do they know if they win 6, 7, or 8 games they are all fired and will be out of work.
RichThrawn

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 07:20:00 pm »

The o-line is a disaster still, and the front office (or at least Hickey/Philbin)  must be under the impression they have more than one offseason to fix it. Little do they know if they win 6, 7, or 8 games they are all fired and will be out of work.

Or one may think so. Knowing Ross he just might keep them around.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 07:35:58 pm »

Or one may think so. Knowing Ross he just might keep them around.

Ross wants that new stadium and the tax break, another losing season hurts fan support. Keeping the current group in place after ANOTHER losing season just kills any fan support he may have. He needs the fan support to pressure the politicians to get that tax break....no way Philbin/Hickey survive a 6-8 win season
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:40 am »

The 1 against Indy that you cite was an incomplete pass, not sure why it was counted as a sack.  I didn't count that one for anyone
I have the answer to this question now. The play was ruled a sack and a fumble. Below is the actual play by play. I can only assume they are calling this a empty hand sort of thing, but how the ball moves forward through the air approximately 10 yards without being thrown is a mystery to me. The play was reviewed and upheld. Notice that the fumble was recovered at the Mia 41 and the play started on the Mia 30 and Tannehill was on the 21 yard line when he "fumbled" the ball forward 20 yards before it was recovered. Amazing. Anyway it went as a sack and was credited to Freeman who was Clabo's man. Count that as a sack against for Clabo.

"3-10-MIA 30 (14:03) (Shotgun) 17-R.Tannehill sacked at MIA 21 for -9 yards (50-J.Freeman). FUMBLES (50-J.Freeman), RECOVERED by IND-35-J.Lefeged at MIA 41. 35-J.Lefeged to MIA 39 for 2 yards. The play is recorded as a sack for 0 yards. The Replay Assistant challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:23:13 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 09:35:09 am »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

You're going to fire a new GM after 1 season of work?  Good luck ever finding a new guy to take that job. 

Thank goodness MikeO isn't the owner of a team.  Everyone would be fired after 1 bad play. 

Rome wasn't built in a day, and I'm sick and tired of this fan base and their "fire everyone until someone lucks into a 12-win season" mentality.

You get guys you trust, and let them do their job.  Despite your ridiculous beliefs, it takes time to turn a franchise around after 10 years of shit.  We don't have a talent base that other teams had, and these guys are trying to change the culture and national perception.  All I want to see this year is a step in the right direction.
RichThrawn

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 11:39:50 am »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

You're going to fire a new GM after 1 season of work?  Good luck ever finding a new guy to take that job. 

Thank goodness MikeO isn't the owner of a team.  Everyone would be fired after 1 bad play. 

Rome wasn't built in a day, and I'm sick and tired of this fan base and their "fire everyone until someone lucks into a 12-win season" mentality.

You get guys you trust, and let them do their job.  Despite your ridiculous beliefs, it takes time to turn a franchise around after 10 years of shit.  We don't have a talent base that other teams had, and these guys are trying to change the culture and national perception.  All I want to see this year is a step in the right direction.

I'd hate to tell you this but I'm also under the impression that both Hickey and Philbin are under a "make the playoffs or else" type season.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 11:48:32 am »

^^ Fine, you're allowed to think that, and I still think that's ridiculous.  It would make the Dolphins even a bigger laughing stock than they already are.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 11:58:05 am »

If we are going to continue down this road I may split this to a new thread since it is unrelated. I can give you guys Philbin being on a hot seat but to suggest a year one GM (on a team that has not been to the playoffs in five years) is in a playoffs or done scenario is reactionary at best and idiotic at worst.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:02:22 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 12:20:39 pm »

I actually disagree with the "experts" in regards to the amount of O-line talent in this draft class. I think that not only is the top tier more elite-ceiling than they are getting credit for, but that the depth of talent is pretty impressive. I'd like to see Miami draft at least 3 offensive linemen this year, and maybe even add one or two UDFAs after the draft.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 12:36:40 pm »

^^^ I've been hearing there is good depth at O-line. Granted you read up on this stuff more then me but I'm wondering why we have heard different things.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »

I'd hate to tell you this but I'm also under the impression that both Hickey and Philbin are under a "make the playoffs or else" type season.

Exactly are! Win or else!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 01:04:31 pm »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Nobody wanted the GM job THIS time around, so what will change?!  EVERYONE turned them down, nobody wanted to take the Fins GM job. The key is to hire and fire the GM/HC TOGETHER, not one at a time like we have been doing for years now. The Fins must STOP forcing a GM on a head coach or forcing a head coach on a GM! That's why no quality guys interview when Miami has job openings.  The one perk with hiring Hickey since he was Miami's like 6th or 7th choice to be GM and not who they really wanted... IF he fails (not saying he will just IF) then firing him with Philbin is a lot easier since you really didn't want him anyway.

Hickey was hired because nobody else wanted the job. He is tied with Philbin now. They win and stay together or they lose and get fired together. Which could possibly be after this season. Sucks to be Hickey but that's reality for him. Miami can't keep forcing a GM on a head coach or a head coach on a GM. You can maybe do it once and get away with it, Miami has done it multiple times now and its a cycle that needs to stop. It prevents quality guys from even entertaining the notion of going to Miami. They tried it once forcing Ireland on Philbin...it failed. If forcing Hickey on Philbin fails...its time to blow the whole thing up and start new. Not keep Hickey and force a head coach with him. We know what the result will be!!

So yes, if Miami has a bad year Hickey has to go. Not his fault, just the situation he got stuck in.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 01:26:19 pm by MikeO » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray