Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:20:00 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  TDMMC March Madness - TRADITION - Tomahawk Chop vs. Howard's Rock
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Choose:
Tomahawk Chop (FSU)   -7 (70%)
Howard's Rock (Clemson)   -3 (30%)
Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: TDMMC March Madness - TRADITION - Tomahawk Chop vs. Howard's Rock  (Read 1203 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:03:05 pm »

Everyone knows's FSU chant and song.  It started in 1984 and was adopted by the Atlanta Braves after they picked up Deion Sanders.

From Clemson.edu:
The rock, originally from Death Valley, Calif., was first placed on a pedestal at the top of “The Hill” in 1966, but it did not become tradition until just before a game against Wake Forest on Sept. 23, 1967. Legendary football coach Frank Howard told his players if they gave 110 percent, they could receive the privilege of rubbing the rock. The team won, and now football players rub it for luck as they run down the hill to the cheers of thousands of orange-clad fans.

I drink your milkshake!
el diablo
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:27:54 pm »

If only this was The Chop for The Braves.....
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:38:35 pm »

The Howard's Rock thing is far more than just a rock.  The video below describes the full history.  Its the way players enter into the stadium before a game.  I first witnessed the Clemson entrance procession during last year's football season.  I thought it was weird that they loaded up the team into a bus and drove around the stadium.  But, by the time the players made it to the field, even I was jacked up for the game.  What a really cool tradition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbvtdXHXaLU
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:40:31 pm by Brian Fein » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray