Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2026, 05:15:28 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Amazing Spiderman 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Amazing Spiderman 2  (Read 10525 times)
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1334



« on: May 02, 2014, 11:52:27 am »

Will give people time to see this before I completely review it and possibly ruin any spoilers (for the people who don't read comics anyway).

I will only make a couple comments for now -

- enjoyed the perspective / bullet-time effects showcasing 'spider sense'
- actor chemistry was good (peter-gwen, peter-aunt may)
- so many plot holes and lack of motivation
- basic logic and real world scenario responses/actions completely ridiculous

Some would say, it was a 'pretty' movie but i felt it needed more substance. I still put it over Spiderman 3 and the dancing.

I think I would have enjoyed these performances better though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8GLoDHZMZQ#t=172

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLBSoC_2IY8#t=425

Once people start seeing it and we're talking about it, we can get into details.
Logged

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:08:00 pm »

I thought the movie was terrible and I'm usually pretty forgiving.

It's a huge step backwards for Superhero movies and feels like it was cut from the cloth of Batman Forever.

I disagree that it's pretty, even.  I think a lot of it feels really fake, specifically a scene where Spidey and Gwen are talking on the top of a bridge for no reason.  The action scenes look like a cartoon.

When the movie stops and lets the characters interact, it's great.  There's a great scene with Harry and Peter on a beach, a great scene with Gwen and Peter in the park, and a great scene with Aunt May and Peter in his room -- all of them are just two actors emoting and they work well and are grounded.  Outside of that, it's CG Jerkoff and Puns and multiple villains without adequate motivation.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 15955



« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 12:18:25 pm »

These are not great reviews for a movie I was consdiering going to see. Maybe I'll just wait a while then.
Logged
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1334



« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:22:30 pm »

I did say 'some would say'.But I liked the focus on spider sense. Maybe they used it once or twice too many times, but it was different, I liked it. But yes, i forgot to mention the CG.

There was so much of it. What made Cap 2 so good was that it was real actors with great choreography.
Logged

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 12:27:43 pm »


I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, but will wait until it streams in HD before checking it out. I just can't see paying money for it.

Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 12:32:41 pm »

Jamie Fox's Electro is Jim Carrey's Riddler.

If you think that kind of performance can hold up in a movie made in 2014, you may enjoy this movie.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:42:45 pm »

I can't stop thinking about how much I hate this movie.  It has no cohesive tone, at all.

It's a campy "Batman and Robin" style movie one second, and the very next, it tries to have these grounded emotional beats about loss.
There is a 2-movie long stretched-out subplot about Peter's Dad that doesn't matter at all.  It could've been cut out of both movies and it wouldn't have made one iota of difference.  In fact, the revelation about the Dad goes against the very nature of what makes Spiderman such a special character.

Ugh.  What a bloated, stupid mess.  I hope SONY loses the rights to this franchise.  I am mad at myself for even seeing it, because I knew better and did it anyway.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1334



« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 01:49:03 pm »

I agree. The footage about Peter's dad should have either been in the first movie or removed from both. It had absolutely no impact on the story line at all.

Not to mention, the 'mystery' of it all is resolved in this quick montage as if the director is saying 'hey, here's the answer, stop criticizing the first movie'.
Logged

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 17897


cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 05:32:22 pm »

I'm disappointed to hear this considering how much I liked the first one. Although it's kind of funny seeing Dave and his disgust, he usually is pretty friendly when it comes to super hero movies.
Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 06:12:43 pm »

^ I know.  I normally don't care.  It just feels like such a heartless cash-grab.  And I fell for it like an asshole.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1334



« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 02:50:23 pm »

SPOILER ALERT




While this feature is kinda cool it's a shame that basically the climax of this movie didn't even contain a single human being.

http://geektyrant.com/news/the-amazing-spider-man-2-sfx-animation-featurette
Logged

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 11:45:43 pm »

BUMP

I don't get the hate.  I enjoyed the movie and I feel like spiderman is finally portrayed correctly.  He's an incredible smart ass.  I see it less of a batman forever,  and more like a lighthearted Dark Knight. Rhino = Scarecrow,  Electro = Joker,  Green Goblin = Two Face.
Logged
DZA
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1311


3rd Infantry Division Veteran


« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 03:08:16 pm »

woah

To Each opinion in its own.  This movie was in no way terrible. I thought i was pretty good. I enjoy these spiderman movies not like Toby McGuire's debacle.

I found a loose adaptation between the comic as I did read many of Spiderman comics back in the day.  Gwen Stacy death for those who have read the comics knew that her death was inevitable and it was a sudden shock for it to happen that quickly.

I was glad they brought back the Amazing version of the costume.
Rhino as a mech was  terrible but hey it was not bad.
And for them to slowly incorporate the sinister 6 was fantastic.

Dont be quick to fall into OH because this person say it sucked your not going to watch it. If your a comic Fan watch it and base your own thoughts
Logged

mecadonzilla
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 2065



Email
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:47:51 pm »

I'm glad someone else brought it up. I really liked the sequel to the Amazing Spiderman. I thought the first one sucked, but the second one was really good.  In fact, I thought it might've been the best of the entire lot of Spiderman movies. That third Sam Raimi pic was so awful it kind of ruined the first two for me.
Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 12:16:24 pm »


I watched this movie last night, and I thought it was a fairly decent movie. Nothing spectacular, but better than most of the Spiderman movies that came before it. I'm a little pissed off about the character that bit it, because I liked that character quite a bit, but overall, it was pretty entertaining.

Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines