Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2026, 06:39:09 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Amazing Spiderman 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Amazing Spiderman 2  (Read 10527 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »

Jesus Christ guys.  This was a steaming pile.

I mean...honestly.  What is the movie even about?  What is the plot?
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 10:49:49 pm »


^^^ I'll watch it a couple more times and get back to ya on that...

Wink

Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 11:22:19 am »

Electro = Joker

I can't tell you what to like, so if it's just a matter of opinion, that's fine.  However, I fail to see any connection between Electro and the Joker.

Electro LITERALLY has the same motivation as the Ridder in Batman Forever.  He works for the big, bad corporation.  He is obsessed with the hero prior to his transformation.  Some company property turns him into a madman.  He seeks revenge on the hero because he feels dismissed and disrespected.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
SCFinfan
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1644



Email
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 11:58:35 am »

IMHO: Was a very weak movie.

I'll leave this video to go into more detail for me:

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-transcendence-and-the-amazing-spider-man-2/
Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 01:19:42 pm »

I can't tell you what to like, so if it's just a matter of opinion, that's fine.  However, I fail to see any connection between Electro and the Joker.

Electro LITERALLY has the same motivation as the Ridder in Batman Forever.  He works for the big, bad corporation.  He is obsessed with the hero prior to his transformation.  Some company property turns him into a madman.  He seeks revenge on the hero because he feels dismissed and disrespected.
Flip that,  I meant electro = Two Face,  GG=Joker. Anyways,  I felt this was the best portail of any spiderman yet by a mile. It was action packed and actually makes spidey a cocky smart ass vs Mcguire's emo version.  It's was action packed and obviously is the setup movie for the sinister six.
Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 03:52:16 pm »

In terms of the Spider-Man scale, I think I'd put this as film #4 of 5.

I think that ASM and SM1 and 2 were all better.  I've never been in love with any of the Spidey films, though.  This, for me, was definitely closer to SM3 than near the top of the list.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Thundergod
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 3142


« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 05:56:43 pm »

I agree with Dave, ASM2 was bad. I found myself bored, the characters were meh, and the cheesiness... oh the cheese. If this is a true representation of the comics...  Undecided  I'll stick to the original movie trilogy.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:42:18 am by Thundergod » Logged
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 12:01:03 am »

...actually makes spidey a cocky smart ass vs Mcguire's emo version. 

This might be why I appreciated this movie as much as I did. I felt it was the first Spiderman movie that really portrayed his smart-ass bantering personality the way it was in the old comic books.

Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1334



« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 11:56:55 am »

I have been reading and collecting (even dressing the part at the movie premiers) and while the quick wit is the Spiderman we know and love, the movie itself lacked proper direction/storytelling. The plot was all over the place, the holes left me with questions.. and not the good, thought provoking questions. There was so much that didn't need to be there and other stuff that could have been.

The success of Marvel's 'cinematic universe' is making other studio houses jump but without putting the necessary time into their projects. Sony should have built this universe over a couple movies. Make a good ASM#2. Then do ASM#3, build up the Sinister Six / Venom / others. Not everything has to be done in one movie.

The studio is pushing back ASM#3. Announced conveniently after the poor box office / critic reviews. Rumors are they're thinking Sinister Six first (which may or may not even have spidey in it). Something just isn't right over there.

I feel like there is a Kevin Smith Superman story over at Sony that we just haven't heard yet  Smiley  - (for those that don't know the story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk)
Logged

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 01:13:18 pm »


That Kevin Smith interview had me rolling here...thanks for that link.

Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 01:31:54 pm »

Love that Kevin Smith story -- one of his best. 

ASM and the sequel got so much right.  But one of those things isn't a plot or character motivations.  Honestly, what is the plot?  I mean...can you even answer it?

ASM2 plays out like disconnected vignettes rather than a coherent story.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 02:09:06 pm »

Love that Kevin Smith story -- one of his best. 

ASM and the sequel got so much right.  But one of those things isn't a plot or character motivations.  Honestly, what is the plot?  I mean...can you even answer it?

ASM2 plays out like disconnected vignettes rather than a coherent story.
Good guy deals with adversity and stops bad guy. How is that any different than any other superhero movie?
Logged
SCFinfan
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1644



Email
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 03:12:25 pm »

Good guy deals with adversity and stops bad guy. How is that any different than any other superhero movie?

Because there is understandable motivation and cohesive storytelling in other superhero movies.
Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »

Good guy deals with adversity and stops bad guy. How is that any different than any other superhero movie?

That's not really a plot summary. 

And even if that were the plot summary, that is super outdated.  Do you think that's what The Dark Knight or Winter Soldier is about?  These superhero movies have evolved to be ABOUT things.  They have reasonable character motivations, themes.  I don't think that ASM2 has this stuff.

It's kinda about people dealing with their fathers (Harry and Peter and the mysteries of their past).  But it abandons that and is kinda about the importance of keeping promises (Peter's relationship with Gwen's dad).  It also abandons this and has Electro in it, with no real thematic connection to anything that I can tell.

It's a collection of Spider-man related scenes, but nothing that ties things together.  THe whole subplot about the Dad....it means nothing.  Had it been erased from both films entirely, it wouldn't make one iota of difference...yet it's quite a bit of screen-time dedicated to it, to no end.

This is a movie made by producers making a checklist and I think it backfired.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 04:02:12 pm »


For some crazy reason, I now find myself wishing that Spiderman had fought a giant spider...


Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines