Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:49:09 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Pouncey out 3 months
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Pouncey out 3 months  (Read 4624 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 10:36:07 am »

Wow.

Not even one game.  Not even one practice in training camp, and we're already discussing getting rid of the GM we JUST FREAKIN' HIRED?

The pessimism of Dolphins' fans knows no bounds.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 11:00:06 am »

Wow.

Not even one game.  Not even one practice in training camp, and we're already discussing getting rid of the GM we JUST FREAKIN' HIRED?

He was only given a 2 year deal for a reason (easy to fire after 1 year.)  He should have built the o-line better with more proven guys so IF something like this happened the house of cards wouldn't crumble. He had $30 mill to spend, giving out an extra $800,000 1 year contract to a vet guard wouldn't have killed the cap. Those guys were out there! Now you have nothing at center for a month or two with 2 inexperienced guards next to him and a rookie RT. Gonna be a long year boys!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:02:28 am by MikeO » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 11:25:17 am »

Back in the draft thread I said I was hoping Miami would have taken Marcus Martin as a backup center, and possible guard, now I'm really wishing they had drafted him.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 02:45:35 pm »

Wow.

Trust me ... I will be super excited if I'm wrong but by many accounts it seems we didn't do enough to help our O-line. People who don't even know football knew Miami needed help on the O-line and yet we kind of tip-toed around it. LOL ... I'm not for making desperate moves most of the time but there would be a huge competition at O-line this year for us if I had anything to do with it. Every free agent worth a shot and a top draft pick. James might have been my second pick for the line. 

We were so far behind the 8 ball on the O-line I don't know how one could think they could get-by only doing "just enough".
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:51:36 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 02:48:16 pm »

Back in the draft thread I said I was hoping Miami would have taken Marcus Martin as a backup center, and possible guard, now I'm really wishing they had drafted him.

He has impressed in training camp for SF so far, playing both the C and RG positions. With SF's O-line depth, I really wish Miami would have grabbed Martin as well.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:49:47 pm by Sunstroke » Logged

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 03:36:21 pm »

Trust me ... I will be super excited if I'm wrong but by many accounts it seems we didn't do enough to help our O-line. People who don't even know football knew Miami needed help on the O-line and yet we kind of tip-toed around it. LOL ... I'm not for making desperate moves most of the time but there would be a huge competition at O-line this year for us if I had anything to do with it. Every free agent worth a shot and a top draft pick. James might have been my second pick for the line. 

We were so far behind the 8 ball on the O-line I don't know how one could think they could get-by only doing "just enough".

Totally agree! Albert was a great addition. Smith was an OK addition. All Hickey needed to do was go sign a VET guard with experience...that's it.Not a superstar, not some big multi-year deal. Just a 1 or 2 year deal at average money for a guy with experience in the league. Now you add 3 experience guys and the o-line is shapping up. One a superstar in Albert and 2 other "decent guys"...takes James in Rd 1 and ok off and running with the O-line. So even with Pouncey out you WOULD have Albert, Smith, and another VET on the o-line com Week 1. You feel "ok" about things even with a rookie RT and a back-up Center! But no, instead we have a rookie RT and the middle of our o-line will be most likely Dallas Thomas, Sam Brenner, and Shelly Smith....and that sucks. No nice way to spin it! Throw in the rookie at RT with the natural rookie growing pains and this unit flat out sucks with Pouncey out. When Pouncey come back it may be good, but the Fins season may be over by the time he comes back! That's reality!!

And this isn't second guessing as I was screaming about this back in March because of this fear alone. Albert or Pouncey can't get injured or else the house of cards that is this o-line crumbles.  Hickey didn't do enough!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 03:38:37 pm by MikeO » Logged
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 03:40:08 pm »

So by your own statement, some mediocre veteran guard who would play for vet minimum on a 1 year deal is the difference between "AWESOME JOB" and "FIRE HIM NOW"?

I'm at a loss...

They went out and got the best LT on the market.  CHECK!
Brought in a servicable guard and drafted a couple workhorses.  But that's not enough?
Injuries happen.  Hickey didn't plan on losing Pouncey when he was making these decisions.  Let's see how the team performs before crucifying the guy, eh?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2014, 03:51:55 pm »

So by your own statement, some mediocre veteran guard who would play for vet minimum on a 1 year deal is the difference between "AWESOME JOB" and "FIRE HIM NOW"?

I'm at a loss...

They went out and got the best LT on the market.  CHECK!
Brought in a servicable guard and drafted a couple workhorses.  But that's not enough?
Injuries happen.  Hickey didn't plan on losing Pouncey when he was making these decisions.  Let's see how the team performs before crucifying the guy, eh?

You are totally Missing the point.....point is they need experienced guys who can play. And drafted workhorses?? HA HA....surely you kid because the draft is hit and miss. Was Jon Jerry a "workhorse" when he came here as a draft pick? Or Jonathan Martin? I HOPE James and Turner are good....but they may suck! We don't know yet! I didn't want to roll the dice on rookies not when we needed 4 new offensive linemen, I wanted one more PROVEN guy to go with Albert and Smith. Even if it was another Shelly Smith  level type guy....on more guy like that. Now we go into the season with a back-up center and 2 unproven guys next to him (Thomas/James). Recipe for disaster!

And a GM's job you have to "prepare" for the worst case scenario and have a "what if" plan in place. So he should have been prepared for this
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »

You forget that the Brenner/Garner's of the world are still on this team.  They are the "what if" plan. 

For all you know, James and Turner (and Dallas Thomas) are super studs and this unit ends up being tops in the league.  Like you said - WE DON'T KNOW YET.

So, before signing Dennis Hickey's walking papers, maybe we should let them play a game or two...?
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 05:05:29 pm »

i'm with brian .. give the guy at least A game before we want to run him out of town ..
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 05:48:23 pm »

You forget that the Brenner/Garner's of the world are still on this team.  They are the "what if" plan. 

Garner can never stay healthy and be depended on. Brenner has a low ceiling and has played in only 7 games ever, he is a glorified rookie. They are not "what if" plans...they are just warm bodies. Adding another Shelly Smith type player would have been a wise move. Cheap but with just enough experience where he won't be overwhelmed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:50:09 pm by MikeO » Logged
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 05:49:30 pm »

i'm with brian .. give the guy at least A game before we want to run him out of town ..

nobody is saying fire him now...but be thankful he only got a 2 year deal so IF this fails (which is looking very possible) getting rid of him is easy.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 12:52:15 pm »

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/43277/Report--Free-agent-C-Andre-Gurode-contacts-Dolphins/Default.aspx

Looks like the Fins are shopping for a CENTER and one center reached out to Miami. Ryan Cook for a stop-gap 5 or 6 game deal wouldn't be awful. The rest on that list are pretty bad players.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 05:38:35 pm »

http://wqam.com/2014/07/23/report-dolphins-center-mike-pouncey-could-miss-8-games/

Miami Herald reporting Pouncey is now expected to miss the first 8 games of the season citing a team source
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 09:51:19 am »

^^ do you not see the difference between "COULD MISS" (what the article reported) and "EXPECTED TO MISS" (what you stated)?

The root report from ESPN uses these interchangeably, which I find to be irresponsible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray