Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:31:42 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  The car-buying experience
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The car-buying experience  (Read 2307 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:43:22 pm »

So, we bought a new car for my wife over the weekend.  I was pretty prepared, knew what I wanted to pay, knew the pitfalls to avoid.

It was relatively painless and I think I got out of there with a fair price and everything, but damn....it took all friggin' day. 

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:45:21 pm »

what did you buy?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:46:35 pm »

I bought a 2012 Kia Sportage

I drink your milkshake!
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 05:49:12 pm »

Why does it take so long? I get a new whip every 3 years. I use a car broker, get a great price and am in and out in a couple of hours.

I'll be trading in the Jetta soon for a Subaru since I'm moving to the frozen tundra of Wyoming. Should be rather painless.

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:57:10 pm »

I have a "guy". I call him tell him what it is exactly that I want along with what it is I want to pay and he goes and finds it for me. He calls me back and let's me know when everything is ready. I drive down there, swap vehicles and sign a few sheets of paper. Total transaction less than an hour. When I purchased my last truck he actually drove it to my office with the paperwork and took my trade in back with him. I refuse to play the standard dealership salesman game.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 06:08:57 pm »

I have a "guy". I call him tell him what it is exactly that I want along with what it is I want to pay and he goes and finds it for me. He calls me back and let's me know when everything is ready. I drive down there, swap vehicles and sign a few sheets of paper. Total transaction less than an hour. When I purchased my last truck he actually drove it to my office with the paperwork and took my trade in back with him. I refuse to play the standard dealership salesman game.

I bet your guys is a car broker. My neighbor was a car broker. I'd never heard of that, but when my car died a few years ago she asked what I needed and how much I could pay. She then negotiated the entire deal for what I wanted to pay. I knew my payment, trade-in, etc going in. The dude had all the paperwork ready. I was in and out in no time.

My last lease she took my old VW, and came home with the new one while I was at work.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 06:30:25 pm »

When I was shopping for my Volt, I sent a form-letter e-mail to a dozen dealerships in NorCal:

- here are the options I need
- here are the options that are nice to have
- here are the acceptable colors
- reply with your best offer

Some of the dealers were idiot dbags; I didn't move forward with them.  I got about three competitive offers and the best one was really good.

Of course, my strategy works better when you've already decided what car you want before you contact them.  If I just walked into a dealership and browsed through their used car inventory, I could definitely see how it would take all day.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:32:56 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 03:22:25 pm »

I bet your guys is a car broker. My neighbor was a car broker. I'd never heard of that, but when my car died a few years ago she asked what I needed and how much I could pay. She then negotiated the entire deal for what I wanted to pay. I knew my payment, trade-in, etc going in. The dude had all the paperwork ready. I was in and out in no time.

My last lease she took my old VW, and came home with the new one while I was at work.

He does work for a dealership, he just goes the extra mile for his customers. I have purchased 5 vehicles from him in the last 8 years and he knows I will return because of his amazing service and no hassle strategy. I also refer many people to him.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 04:09:09 pm »

How much does a broker run you? Is it based on final price of vehicle? I am currently looking for a car and was wondering since my time is limited.

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:30 pm »

How much does a broker run you? Is it based on final price of vehicle? I am currently looking for a car and was wondering since my time is limited.

I'm not quite sure since she was my neighbor and did it for free.  I can find out for you.

She took the hassle out of car buying and I highly recommend her.

Guru-In-Vegas
Uber Member

I found it cheaper on the internet

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 03:14:39 pm »

I'm only guessing but I'm assuming it works like a realtor. 

You never "pay your broker" but the seller cuts them a percentage from the sale. 

Just guessing though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray