Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:01:13 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  PFF Explains their QB Rankings.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PFF Explains their QB Rankings.  (Read 3073 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: September 17, 2014, 08:48:52 pm »

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/17/analysis-notebook-week-2-3/

This is for EK to drive him crazy. Smiley Love ya man!

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:02:43 pm »

As I have always said....you take ALL of PFF rankings at face value. Or you take none of them. Ya can't ignore the QB ones but then go use the WR ones or TE ones or O-line ones as support for a stance. You are all in with them or don't buy into them at all. No gray area
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:32:49 pm »

As I have always said....you take ALL of PFF rankings at face value. Or you take none of them. Ya can't ignore the QB ones but then go use the WR ones or TE ones or O-line ones as support for a stance. You are all in with them or don't buy into them at all. No gray area

So, if I agree with the formula they use to rate offensive lineman, I am required to agree with every formula they use to rate every other position? Do you have any idea how ridiculously closed-minded that sounds?

As I have always said...

Saying something wrong over and over again, or louder and louder...doesn't make it any less wrong.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 09:39:00 pm »

So, if I agree with the formula they use to rate offensive lineman, I am required to agree with every formula they use to rate every other position? Do you have any idea how ridiculously closed-minded that sounds?

YES!! Because PFF uses an in-house one of a kind like no other formula to grade ALL of the positions. You can't agree with some of their logic and not others. It's silly. Makes no sense. You buy into what they are selling as a whole, or you don't. Whether you believe in their rankings or don't doesn't matter. It's just that you are all in with them or all out. To say they are right about certain things and certain positions but wrong about others makes no sense because its the same in house one of a kind like no other grading system that they built they use for EVERYTHING! You aren't buying into certain "formulas" you are buying into them and the process they have created across the board.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:54:00 am »

It is entirely reasonable to believe that their system for grading offensive lineman is flawed, while also believing that their system for grading defensive backs is weighted more accurately.

If I reject ESPN's team Power Rankings, does that also mean I must reject QBR?

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 01:40:02 am »

It is entirely reasonable to believe that their system for grading offensive lineman is flawed, while also believing that their system for grading defensive backs is weighted more accurately.

If I reject ESPN's team Power Rankings, does that also mean I must reject QBR?

Exactly!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 08:28:41 am »

YES!! Because PFF uses an in-house one of a kind like no other formula to grade ALL of the positions. You can't agree with some of their logic and not others. It's silly. Makes no sense. You buy into what they are selling as a whole, or you don't. Whether you believe in their rankings or don't doesn't matter. It's just that you are all in with them or all out. To say they are right about certain things and certain positions but wrong about others makes no sense because its the same in house one of a kind like no other grading system that they built they use for EVERYTHING! You aren't buying into certain "formulas" you are buying into them and the process they have created across the board.

This doesn't make sense as they look at different things when grading different positions.

That being said, I would rather look at PFF's rankings and grades than a stat sheet on ESPN or NFL.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 09:55:05 am »

I heard this guy (I think it was this guy) talking about this on the radio.  He made a point which I'd like you all to take into consideration.  He said that the sample size is so small, that though Tanny was ranked #2, he's only like 2 or 3 throws from being #15 -- that over the course of a few more games, this will all look a lot clearer and work itself out.

I drink your milkshake!
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 10:53:22 am »

I heard this guy (I think it was this guy) talking about this on the radio.  He made a point which I'd like you all to take into consideration.  He said that the sample size is so small, that though Tanny was ranked #2, he's only like 2 or 3 throws from being #15 -- that over the course of a few more games, this will all look a lot clearer and work itself out.

Exactly.

On the flip side, as they point out in the article, his receivers have dropped 7 passes and if those had been caught, his QB rating would be in the 90s, he would have about 131 yards more in passing and at least one more TD (Dion Sims).

In other words, it is still early.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 12:28:27 pm »

Exactly.

On the flip side, as they point out in the article, his receivers have dropped 7 passes and if those had been caught, his QB rating would be in the 90s, he would have about 131 yards more in passing and at least one more TD (Dion Sims).

In other words, it is still early.
That would make sense to take into consideration. Same rule for INTs and sacks ... everyone isn't judged equally because of variables.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 01:21:40 pm »

That would make sense to take into consideration. Same rule for INTs and sacks ... everyone isn't judged equally because of variables.

Yep, some sacks are due to poor pass protection or a good pass rush, some sacks are to receivers not getting open or great coverage and some sacks are due to QBs not reading the defense quickly enough etc...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray