Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:56:01 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sun Sentinel Top 10 Dolphins QBs of all time
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Sun Sentinel Top 10 Dolphins QBs of all time  (Read 6774 times)
Guru-In-Vegas
Uber Member

I found it cheaper on the internet

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 03:23:37 pm »

I feel like my list would look like this:

1. Marino
2. Griese
3. Morral
4. Woodley
5. Fiedler <<<<<<< que?
6. Tannehill
7. Henne
8. Mitchell
9. Pennington
10. Harrington

Brian.

Brian. Brian. BRIAN!!!

I usually agree with most things you post.  This is not one of them.  <insert a long list of junk about how much fiedler sucked>
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »

Brian has a Fiedler hard-on.

Pennington is the best QB since Marino (Tannehill excluded).

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 05:07:26 pm »

Fiedler was a lot better than most of you give him credit for.  Go back, today, after 10 years of watching the bum parade at QB, and watch Fiedler tape.  He was better than you remember. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:21 pm »

I was thinking about this the other night. Most people bagged on Fiedler while he was playing but now he seems to get better reviews. It really reminds me of how Presidents are remembered over time.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 06:26:05 pm »

Brian has a Fiedler hard-on.

Pennington is the best QB since Marino (Tannehill excluded).
Fiedler had some big wins as a Dolphin: DEN, a couple against OAK, the orange jersey game against WSH.  Pennington had... the NE Wildcat game, most well-known for when he wasn't doing anything?  Or maybe the final NYJ game, where Favre gonna Favre?

Pennington had a nice season, no doubt.  But he did nothing after that.  I'd rank David Woodley over Pennington, using those criteria.

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 06:34:31 pm »

I guess leading the league in completion %, breaking the team record for that stat, being the only Dolphin to pass for over 3500 yards in a season other than Marino at that time, finishing second in the MVP voting and winning Comeback Player of the Year are pretty insignificant.

Yep, Pennington did nothing. -EK
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 07:42:31 pm »

Completion % is greatly influenced by the kind of offense you run; Pennington's career completion % was higher than Marino's best in any season (including '84).
In order to win CPOTY, you have to miss a large portion of at least one season, which is not exactly to Pennington's credit.
Matthew Stafford passed for more yards than any QB in any prior season except one.  Rule changes over time have favored yardage.
But yeah, Pennington did finish tied for second in the MVP voting, with 4 votes.  28 votes behind the winner.

Pro-football-reference rates Fiedler's '01 season as equal in AV (13) to Pennington's '08.  Pennington had a vastly better rushing offense (#11) than Fiedler (#23).  The defenses were sidegrades ('01 was higher ranked in yards allowed, '08 was higher ranked in points allowed).

And again, Pennington had the benefit of one of the most impactful offensive strategies in years; a tactic so effective that most of the teams in the league would end up copying it at some point.  And the hallmark of this tactic is that Pennington had nothing to do with it.

P.S. Your reading comprehension is worse than normal today; I said, "Pennington had a nice season, no doubt.  But he did nothing after that."  And nothing is a pretty accurate description of Pennington's contributions post-2008.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:52:55 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:40 pm »

You also said:

Pennington had... the NE Wildcat game, most well-known for when he wasn't doing anything?  Or maybe the final NYJ game, where Favre gonna Favre?

I'd rank David Woodley over Pennington, using those criteria.

Did you forget that? -EK
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 07:58:04 pm »

David Woodley took the Fins to a Super Bowl

Chad Pennington had 1 year in Miami and didn't win 1 playoff game.

Comparing their Dolphins career are beyond silly. Woodley was a far greater Fins QB than Pennington
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 08:01:51 pm »

Why, yes, immediately after listing Fiedler's "big wins," I listed Pennington's big wins.  And I said that Pennington's biggest win is a game which is most famous for the offensive plays in which Pennington, the starting QB, stood near the sideline and did nothing.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 09:44:33 am »

17/20 and 226 yards is a little more than nothing.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 11:37:07 am »

Why, yes, immediately after listing Fiedler's "big wins," I listed Pennington's big wins.  And I said that Pennington's biggest win is a game which is most famous for the offensive plays in which Pennington, the starting QB, stood near the sideline and did nothing.

When I refer to "the NE Wildcat game," what game am I talking about?  And why am I using that term to refer to it?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:40:03 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 02:55:01 pm »

I just think back as a fan.  I had faith in Pennington to lead an offense and make throws.  I cringed every time Fiedler went to throw an out.  Fielder was a part of big wins, yes, but I remember him giving away a lot of big wins with pick 6s.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 03:06:47 pm »

I had faith in Pennington not to lose a game, but I didn't expect him to win them.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 03:09:46 pm »

Also, I'd like it added to the record that I was a big supporter of Fiedler for most of his stay here.  I thought we had bigger problems.  But dude couldn't throw an out.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray