Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:02:01 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sun Sentinel Top 10 Dolphins QBs of all time
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Sun Sentinel Top 10 Dolphins QBs of all time  (Read 6589 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 09:43:36 pm »

And that is the problem with doing a top ten list,  for such a group, you are not discussing who is the greatest,  bot who is less mediocre

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 09:31:06 am »

It would still be the same discussion. I've never heard a Dolphins fan debate who our best QB has been (and there is even a second in the HoF).
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 10:32:40 am »

It would still be the same discussion. I've never heard a Dolphins fan debate who our best QB has been (and there is even a second in the HoF).

From time to time I DO hear people make the argument that Griese is the all-time best Dolphins QB based on the two Superbowls he won. I think that argument is ridiculous, but I also think ranking Woodley high is ridiculous based on making it to one Superbowl in a strike-shortened season, with the best defense in the league (and likely the second best all-time Dolphins defense), and the 3rd best running game in the league that year. The D was so good that year they got 10 INTS in the first 2 playoff games. When I think of Woodley, I don't think "All-time great." I think, "Don Strock having to come in during the playoffs to save his ass." There's "leading a team" to a Superbowl, and then there's riding your team's success to one, a la Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. -EK
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:35:02 am by EKnight » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2014, 12:12:10 pm »

We can use stats to support our ideas, of course, but it really comes down to "Who would you rather have under center?"  For me, it's Pennington over Fiedler by a lot.  And it's Marino over Griese by a lot.

I drink your milkshake!
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2014, 12:19:10 pm »

Completely agree. -EK
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2014, 03:16:39 pm »

From time to time I DO hear people make the argument that Griese is the all-time best Dolphins QB

I'm curious if you have been able to pay attention to the ages of these people. Were they old enough to remember Griese? Are they too young to have seen either?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2014, 03:30:49 pm »

Even though I watched Marino in his prime, I forget how good he was / didn't really realize, because my football knowledge wasn't yet up to snuff.  But when I go back and watch old stuff I'm amazed at what he does.  He reminds me a lot of Peyton Manning.

I drink your milkshake!
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »

I have no idea- it's media people. Every now and again I come across someone on talk radio or some article. This one references it, and the reasons it's silly: http://phinphanatic.com/2012/05/12/best-all-time-dolphin-qb-bob-griese-over-dan-marino/

It's not a frequent argument, but it does come up. I can't remember how long ago it was, but I feel like at some point near the mid-point of Marino's career, Miami fans still voted Griese AHEAD of Marino as the all-time starting QB. Anyone else recall such a thing? -EK
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2014, 04:46:56 pm »

I don't recall that, no.  But it doesn't surprise me that there are contrarians.  I'd say there's a pretty solid consensus about Marino over Griese at this point.

I drink your milkshake!
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 05:02:53 pm »

Here's an article referencing it. It was still earlier in Marino's career than I remember (1990), but after some of his best seasons.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1320&dat=19901231&id=nEJWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ROoDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3056,5624500

-EK
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 05:12:39 pm »

Dave, your mindset in 2000 and 2001 was different from that of 2008.  I recommend you go back and watch some old games where Fiedler played.  Go watch orange jersey vs Washington.  Go watch the playoff game vs Colts.  Hell, go watch the Monday night meltdown vs Jets.  You will say to yourself - "maybe he wasn't as bad as I remember" because of your frame of reference.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »

Dave, your mindset in 2000 and 2001 was different from that of 2008.  I recommend you go back and watch some old games where Fiedler played.  Go watch orange jersey vs Washington.  Go watch the playoff game vs Colts.  Hell, go watch the Monday night meltdown vs Jets.  You will say to yourself - "maybe he wasn't as bad as I remember" because of your frame of reference.

He wasn't as bad as some remember. He won playoff games. He had Miami in the playoffs on a consistent basis. The portrait of Fiedler's Dolphins career is far greater than the 1 year Pennington had in Miami. It's really not even close. As Dolphins....Fiedler had a better career in Aqua and Orange
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray